Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you come along to...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yes, an orienteering course would be awesome. The Army has agreat advantage i don't have in this regards though. They have the land and space to run this sort of event.... I won't say too much as it won't happen quickly and it could all come to nothing but i am working on this... The potential for screw ups is so high with an orienteering course. You only need one person to miss their mark by a hundred meters and they could walk into the firing line... and yes this is a risk that could be controlled.

Orienteering course would need a lot of set up and i suspect the entry wouldn't be $20 anymore.
    Pm gillie id love to help and shoot in it.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Done oodles of jungle lanes but would be interested in ones where a bolt gun would not be a disadvantage but still required speed.
    What you are describing is almost a short biathlon... and yes i can do one. I have just the spot. Two courses simultaeously, both about 200-400m in length but i would still need someone to run with the competitors scoring.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Sgt who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Hata .......aka leftie! 1st batt sgt v coy 6 PL 97-01.Awsome tracker. Learnt alot about the S's and so on

R93

Would you come along to...

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Hata .......aka leftie! 1st batt sgt v coy 6 PL 97-01.Awsome tracker. Learnt alot about the S's and so on
    Ah. Thought I was losing it. Thought he was someone on your corps training I forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Love to take part and learn. Cheers!

Actually thinking more like , actual silhoute shooting , ie 4 sets of 5 plates ( different sizes and ranges etc ) , knock down type , BUT as they would require re-setting more , something like Harry's is maybe the best ?

I agree a LR rimfire only comp would be good , say different ranges out to 200m ? ( knock down tgts )

Re : Orienteering , best done with out rifles/shooting ,, as there would be a wide range of different skill levels .

In the Army , they run thru nav training , before these tests/comps , and as such they have a known ? , base line of skills etc .

Only need one person to get LOST , to stop the comp/shoot etc , and worst case turn the event into a SAR mission .

Later Chris

Medium Range Training Event

Would be good
    Ryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Actually thinking more like , actual silhoute shooting , ie 4 sets of 5 plates ( different sizes and ranges etc ) , knock down type , BUT as they would require re-setting more , something like Harry's is maybe the best ?
    Yes but with Harry's place he is always going forward to spot hits, score and re-paint. And this setup severely limits the distances shot on the day to only 3-4 seperate distances. I agree with you though it certainly speeds things up though and allows more people to get through.

I agree a LR rimfire only comp would be good , say different ranges out to 200m ? ( knock down tgts )
    Yes, Harry's idea of a longer distance rim fire event is good. I think it will be swing targets in stead of knock down targets though. I have given Harry a couple of suggestions for that shoot. Hopefully he pulls it off. I am quite keen to attend. The foirmat he is proposing takes a while to get going - lets say their is 20 people there, with 5 minute at the first position the last person would start nearly two hours after the first...

Re : Orienteering , best done with out rifles/shooting ,, as there would be a wide range of different skill levels .

In the Army , they run thru nav training , before these tests/comps , and as such they have a known ? , base line of skills etc .

Only need one person to get LOST , to stop the comp/shoot etc , and worst case turn the event into a SAR mission .
    Yep completely agree... but risks can be mitigated. Allow GPS navigation if need be... ensure shoot positions can see all the distance between them and the target including a safe backstop. Cell phone coverage over the course might be helpful. Teams of two might be a good idea. Even give them radio communication if it was warrented. If nothing else people might be able to follow the noise of the gun fire... ?

Certainly not easy... but doable with the right location, people and gear.

Hi, I haven't read 4 pages of what will be good posts - just turned to the back page like a lazy b888.

Most of those ideas sound great Gillie.
    I wouldn't like to shoot if there were guys beetling about navigating an orienteering course somewhere near. I think that should be a non starter.
    For long range .22, I reckon it should only be up to about 100m ie the range a .22 might reasonably be used at plus a bit. Would 250m be interesting for .17HMR shooters ? I know people do train with selected loads in .223 or .308 designed to mimic longer range ballistics of bigger cartridges - but what would a .22 match and what's the point ? A field shoot for .22RF, .17, .204, .223 could be be quite popular.
    Your vid of the Rotorua shoot looked idyllic - good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Yes. All of those sound good to me, but the ''medium range walking steel shoot'' has the most appeal. It sounds like a game of golf, but with a rifle and not a club.

Location will determine attendance. I'd be happy to pay a fee to the organiser/landowner just the same as you would a green fee for golf. In a perfect world the events would be reciprocated in different areas, so the event doesn't become stale and the targets/wind etc don't become too predictable.

But in summary - YES!

kj
    I'm sure that golf is a sanitised derivative of field archery. Much of the terminology and process is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I wouldn't like to shoot if there were guys beetling about navigating an orienteering course somewhere near. I think that should be a non starter.
    Much like Chris you are probably right. That said, you could run it with one static shooting position and orienteering points located away from the firing direction. Competitors are required to navigate to a marker then return to the shoot position before heading out to their next marker... If the entire course was encircled by something (road, fence, river... and shoot position fired out of the course area then you could tell competitors not to cross the course boundary. If they got lost they could then follwo the course boundary until they got to a shoot location.
    Again, probably a non starter...

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    For long range .22, I reckon it should only be up to about 100m ie the range a .22 might reasonably be used at plus a bit. Would 250m be interesting for .17HMR shooters ? I know people do train with selected loads in .223 or .308 designed to mimic longer range ballistics of bigger cartridges - but what would a .22 match and what's the point ? A field shoot for .22RF, .17, .204, .223 could be be quite popular.
    Pretty certain i read somewhere that shooting a .22LR to 200m mimics shooting a .308 to 900 yards or something. Certainly would boost confidence in dialing several minutes of wind.
    The great thing about using the 22LR is it is cheap, they don't use jacketed projectiles so you can set steel targets as close as a few meters, steel targets only need to be mild steel and the .22LR is a reasonably level playing field for everyone. As soon as you introduce the .17s, .204, .222, .223 then everything gets more complicated.

I think maybe a short nav instruction course could be what maybe of interest or use ? , you would have to see IF people want it , maybe run it at nite ( saturday nite for 1.5-2 hrs tops ) just a sort of primer , get guys into looking at the right way to use compass , topo map and set up their GPS .
    So guys could take it or leave It , ie drink piss , and would be up to them .
    You are not going to learn good nav in a couple of hrs , BUT you could at least give the guys who want it , some basics & guidance ?
    I would make it into 2x 45 mins lessons w/ smoko in between , and make it lite & very informal ,
    I think alot of guys could use some good basics , as I think a lot rely on the magic of GPS completely , thats good while your batteries last & GPS sats are online .

Cheers Chris

Banned
    I think maybe a short nav instruction course could be what maybe of interest or use ? , you would have to see IF people want it , maybe run it at nite ( saturday nite for 1.5-2 hrs tops ) just a sort of primer , get guys into looking at the right way to use compass , topo map and set up their GPS .
    So guys could take it or leave It , ie drink piss , and would be up to them .
    You are not going to learn good nav in a couple of hrs , BUT you could at least give the guys who want it , some basics & guidance ?
    I would make it into 2x 45 mins lessons w/ smoko in between , and make it lite & very informal ,
    I think alot of guys could use some good basics , as I think a lot rely on the magic of GPS completely , thats good while your batteries last & GPS sats are online .

Cheers Chris
    Is there an assumption that hunters cant nav?..........If gillie wants to run an orienteering gong shoot then he can simply state entrants "must be proficient in close country and open country nav" otherwise don't enter.Gongs shoots are attended by in most parts hunters who don't have to much spare time other than shooting on the day so pre courses wouldn't be practicle.Like gillie has said courses can be set up to keep risks down to a minimum by way of good course planning and marshals if needed.

I think most rely on electronic GPS , too much ,and the younger ones more so , to the extent that they have not bothered to use a paper map & compass ever .

Banned
    think!!.....I personaly have never used one for hunting and I hunt with plenty of excellent hunters who never use a gps and can find there way around with no problems.I always have a compass in my pouch and ive got mates who use a gps and also have a compass in there pouch.I cant see a problem really.