Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you come along to...

R93
    I think Chris is right Jase. A GPS makes things easy. I use one for nav confirmation and marking points of interest, mainly just for the speed and accuracy.
    If you get lost on the coast, apart from some swampy close country we have, ya need to sell your hunting gear and move to Dorkland and open a coffee or hair dresser shop
    I can still remember how to work out and apply declination and frequently practice ranging targets with a map and compass so I am not past it yet. But I do think a lot of people would be buggered if the batteries died all of a sudden and they didnt bring spares.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

"Medium Range Walking Steel Shoot" or the "Hunting Rifle Target Shooting" for me. Not interested in the running around or navigation test shoots.

I think there would be a real following for run n gun type events, especially amongst younger service rifle guys. A good way to really put our AR type rifles through their paces at distance.

Magnetic declination in New Zealand – Magnetic field – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand

I programed my watch using that to point true north. Basically true north is left of magnetic at about 20deg around Auckland / Waikato

Will be keen on taking part in some of short or medium range shooting events if time and place suits. Will help out on the day if possible but have no experience of these kind of events. Also for what its worth the orientering sounds awesome.

Lately i have been reading up on the Health & Safety in Employment (Adventure Activities) Regulations and the accompanying guidance documents put out by the Ministry of Business, Inovation & Employment. I am not sure a field target shoot can be considered an "Adventure Activity" as defined by the regulations but i am sure it could be argued either way.

Because of these regulations Malcolm and I will only be able to run shoots under one or both of the following conditions:
    1. No entry fee is charged for the event, or
    2. The event has to be run under the umbrella of a club or association.

As the majority of shoots we run are run with a NZDA branch this will not change these events. However it does put a serious damper on running some of the events i have discussed in this thread. This is pretty disappointing really. I am not sure i want to run shoots for free - given the work and time invovled that doesn't seem right. The only other way i can run shoots is under a club or association... i might have to start cosying up to a couple of associations other than my current invovlement in the NZDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Lately i have been reading up on the Health & Safety in Employment (Adventure Activities) Regulations and the accompanying guidance documents put out by the Ministry of Business, Inovation & Employment. I am not sure a field target shoot can be considered an "Adventure Activity" as defined by the regulations but i am sure it could be argued either way.

Because of these regulations Malcolm and I will only be able to run shoots under one or both of the following conditions:
    1. No entry fee is charged for the event, or
    2. The event has to be run under the umbrella of a club or association.

As the majority of shoots we run are run with a NZDA branch this will not change these events. However it does put a serious damper on running some of the events i have discussed in this thread. This is pretty disappointing really. I am not sure i want to run shoots for free - given the work and time invovled that doesn't seem right. The only other way i can run shoots is under a club or association... i might have to start cosying up to a couple of associations other than my current invovlement in the NZDA.
    Thats a shame, its only fair a fee is charged for all the organising and equipment used. Would maybe the Service Rifle Association be a starter to cosy upto?
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Ejected
    Run it for free and happily accept 'donations' with thanks?

Ejected
    Kind of like school 'donations' (fees). If you don't pay it you don't get your year book.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    Thats a shame, its only fair a fee is charged for all the organising and equipment used. Would maybe the Service Rifle Association be a starter to cosy upto?
    I am not currently a member of the NZSRA but i had thought they might be a good one to talk to. Pity they don't have a club over in New Plymouth.

Based on the opinions of a couple of people i have talked to, i don't think the NZ NRA will want a bar of the long range steel shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Run it for free and happily accept 'donations' with thanks?
    Having run 20+ field shoots we have only ever broken even on two events - and one of them only cause Malcolm managed to win some prize money. We aren't in it to make money but that is with charging entry fees. Can you imagine donations...

Reading the regulations i wouldn't be surprised if the exemption for clubs, associations and schools get removed sometime in the future. Such is the nanny state we live in.

Hmm maybe I could bring it up at our next club committee meeting. I'm sure there are some BOPSRA guys keen as to shoot LR.

Whatever happened to the Sniper shoot the Service Rifle guys ran at Otorohanga last year Link? That was a good event. Plenty of people there as well.

I have been thinking for a long time that service rifle would be cool to get into. I'd love to get a decent .303 and compete... would need a reloading setup first of course.

Ejected
    Yeah I was more meaning compulsory donations. Just whoever asks from upstairs call them a token of thanks from participants.
    I'm pretty sure even if it was a true donation no one would be ballsy enough to show up without paying? Would they?
    Pretty sad the direction things like OSH is going in, and then they wonder why people hide or aren't forthcoming with information.

Personally I'm keen for more LR gong shoots like what El B justs put on. Great fun, but then I haven't had try at any of the others yet. Just having some gongs made for me so I can practice.

Good luck Gillie.

yep very keen,compulsory donations all good!

I agree you can not run an event such as this and allow people to shoot for free it is just wrong lots of money is invested into equipment and for people to shoot em up at no cost to them it would be rude to even turn up wihtout having money in the pocket for a entry fee or entry donation, especially if prizes are being offered as well. But I agree the country is becoming too much of a nanny state, next thing you know properties that are used for LR shoots will end up having to become registered as rifle ranges.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals