Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you come along to...

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I agree you can not run an event such as this and allow people to shoot for free it is just wrong lots of money is invested into equipment and for people to shoot em up at no cost to them it would be rude to even turn up wihtout having money in the pocket for a entry fee or entry donation, especially if prizes are being offered as well. But I agree the country is becoming too much of a nanny state, next thing you know properties that are used for LR shoots will end up having to become registered as rifle ranges.
    SSSSSSHHHHHHHHH, don't give them ideas.

Sorry Nibblet, thats old news. Why do you think the NZ NRA doesn't run steel shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Lately i have been reading up on the Health & Safety in Employment (Adventure Activities) Regulations and the accompanying guidance documents put out by the Ministry of Business, Inovation & Employment. I am not sure a field target shoot can be considered an "Adventure Activity" as defined by the regulations but i am sure it could be argued either way.

Because of these regulations Malcolm and I will only be able to run shoots under one or both of the following conditions:
    1. No entry fee is charged for the event, or
    2. The event has to be run under the umbrella of a club or association.

As the majority of shoots we run are run with a NZDA branch this will not change these events. However it does put a serious damper on running some of the events i have discussed in this thread. This is pretty disappointing really. I am not sure i want to run shoots for free - given the work and time invovled that doesn't seem right. The only other way i can run shoots is under a club or association... i might have to start cosying up to a couple of associations other than my current invovlement in the NZDA.
    Yes but you can accept koha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yes but you can accept koha
    Gillie you can run one of those types of shoots under us easy as pie.have got some bigger farms to shoot on aswell.
    BRADS likes this.

So i have a date and a location confirmed but what do you think should be covered in a medium range training event?

My initial thoughts were:
    Medium Range Training Event
    1 or 2 days. Covering sighting in, chronographing, point blank range, drop data generation, data validation out to 600 yards or so, effective use of the scope recticle, and maybe wind if there is time. Having a scope that can dial is not a prerequisite. This event is basically to encourage people who want to get the most out of the rifle they have or maybe they want to try longer distance shooting. This will just give people a little bit of guidance to shooting at longer distances.

Don't even try and suggest wind....

Banned
    So i have a date and a location confirmed but what do you think should be covered in a medium range training event?

My initial thoughts were:
    Medium Range Training Event
    1 or 2 days. Covering sighting in, chronographing, point blank range, drop data generation, data validation out to 600 yards or so, effective use of the scope recticle, and maybe wind if there is time. Having a scope that can dial is not a prerequisite. This event is basically to encourage people who want to get the most out of the rifle they have or maybe they want to try longer distance shooting. This will just give people a little bit of guidance to shooting at longer distances.

Don't even try and suggest wind....
    What's the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    What's the date.
    Its in November this year.

Sorry Neckshot, i have a date and a location. I don't have a list of things to have attendees do on the day, so i don't know how long it will take so i don't know how many people will be a good idea to have there.

I would be keen gillie hopefully I may have new a centerfire by then
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I would be keen but need location and dates to be 100%, and yes if im travelling then wind hopefully will be covered a little bit. I think 10 people would be max unless you have a couple of 'instructors'

Banned
    Sorry Neckshot, i have a date and a location. I don't have a list of things to have attendees do on the day, so i don't know how long it will take so i don't know how many people will be a good idea to have there.
    November will prob rule me out mate but I fully support this Initiative.......is this how you spell this word? two tee's? help a brother out here.

yep you spelled it right Neckshot
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Well, I don't think I am a good enough shooter in the wind to confidently try and demonstrate it or to try and teach someone else about calling wind.

Sighting in is pretty simple for most people to sort out. Chronographing is useful but confirming the actual drop data at various distances is going to overrule whatever my cheap ass chronograph is going to tell someone. Generating drop data is easily done using something like JBM Ballistics online. Effective use of the recticle would be useful as it is something I do not see a lot of people do well. Ideally people would sort out their recticle before turning up and then we could just test and confirm what works with their set up.

This being the case I might just set up a medium range (100-600m), steel target, field course and allow attendees to have a go at the targets without any time pressure. I could allow shooters to fire a few shots at each target so they can use the day to validate drop data they turn up on the day with. I could supply some range cards for each stage that will allow the shooter to record their point of aim or their scope adjustments (along with other relevant data) so they can then take that information away with them.

Basically focus on the data validation side of things. Given the course layout it is extremely likely shooters will get to experience varying degrees of wind.