Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree13073Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

The pizza's and oven look fantastic!!
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quick dinner here tonight.
    Fried marinated Salmon fillet (miso, soy, mirin, brown sugar, chilli flakes) , on vermacill noodles, with miso/tomato/pepper and chilli soup, brocollne and baby bok choy. And some sprouts on top to try and make it look flash....
    Name:  IMG_20211108_170441.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  2.75 MB
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Oh This was good
    Beef as best as it can possibly be !!!

Name:  253858587_881271089255548_5785693326406806753_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  252012266_142654021401300_6093368840179895350_n.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  99.5 KB

I have been so slack in the kitchen, have cooked maybe 3 roasts since end of June. Joys of calving and mating and managing a dairy farm. Managed to rustle up a roast dinner dinner tonight, trying to enjoy a nice hot meal before I resort to bbq and salads for the summer.
    Name:  B0CD8892-C8DA-4328-8FD1-DA70E2FB0486.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  2.22 MB
    veitnamcam, Dreamer, bunji and 3 others like this.

The same batch of 50/50 wild pork/veni sausages .
    Still needed to defrost a bit so wanged them in a pot of hot water for 20min to defrost and firm up.
    Dried and into the smoker....mostly oak wine barrel shavings and about a third Pohutukawa chips.
    New spuds par boiled then in.

Tried to save some red onions wife had left in the pantry in a plastic bag....trimmed hard sliced up and fried in butter but still slimy so a fail.
    But the spuds and bangers were bloody awesome.
    Name:  IMG_20211114_175945.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  6.13 MB
    Tahr, Dreamer, Beaker and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Missus & l were lucky to spend 6 Seasons working in Argentina & would live there quite easily, as the people & the food are among the best we experienced anywhere in our world travels & the hunting is fantastic with hands down the best wing shooting l have ever done .

Unfortunately like a lot of places corrupt politicians have brought Argentina to its knees ,but if you ever get chance we highly recommend it ,the people are great ,the countryside is fantastic & even my missus admits the women are the most beautiful & exotic looking we saw in our world travels

They have a fantastic BBQ & meat cooking culture & tastes are very similar to us Kiwi's ,(well these rough nut Kiwi Buggers any way) ,one of the recipe's my missus got from our favorite Camp cook was for a more meat based Paella utilizing game, which there means a lot beautiful Fallow Venison ,we both get cravings for it so we had it tonight using some off cuts from the Fallow Stag l got this week & some wings from our Farm chook cull, l did in prep for the summer/xmas BBQ season . We have the left overs for lunch during the week

The missus has also mastered cooking Pavs in the Pizza oven once it has died down & l did a crusty bread in it to mop up the Paella ,Pav is still one of my favorite deserts so the old Pizza oven will cop a flogging over summer doing them.

Bushy Bastard Kiwi Farm Cool Room Clear Out Venison-Pork-Rabbit -Chook -Argentinian style Paella

Name:  RED-paella -Venison -Chook-Rabbit- SML.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  95.9 KB

Missus Pizza Oven Pav -

Name:  RED Pizza Oven Pav-SML.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  29.8 KB

Yumbo -

Name:  RED Pav Pizza oven -SML.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  32.2 KB

Pizza Oven Crusty Bread

Name:  RED Bread from Pizza Oven -SML.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  51.1 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Missus & l were lucky to spend 6 Seasons working in Argentina & would live there quite easily, as the people & the food are among the best we experienced anywhere in our world travels & the hunting is fantastic with hands down the best wing shooting l have ever done .

Unfortunately like a lot of places corrupt politicians have brought Argentina to its knees ,but if you ever get chance we highly recommend it ,the people are great ,the countryside is fantastic & even my missus admits the women are the most beautiful & exotic looking we saw in our world travels

They have a fantastic BBQ & meat cooking culture & tastes are very similar to us Kiwi's ,(well these rough nut Kiwi Buggers any way) ,one of the recipe's my missus got from our favorite Camp cook was for a more meat based Paella utilizing game, which there means a lot beautiful Fallow Venison ,we both get cravings for it so we had it tonight using some off cuts from the Fallow Stag l got this week & some wings from our Farm chook cull, l did in prep for the summer/xmas BBQ season . We have the left overs for lunch during the week

The missus has also mastered cooking Pavs in the Pizza oven once it has died down & l did a crusty bread in it to mop up the Paella ,Pav is still one of my favorite deserts so the old Pizza oven will cop a flogging over summer doing them.

Bushy Bastard Kiwi Farm Cool Room Clear Out Venison-Pork-Rabbit -Chook -Argentinian style Paella

Attachment 183545

Missus Pizza Oven Pav -

Attachment 183546

Yumbo -

Attachment 183547

Pizza Oven Crusty Bread

Attachment 183548
    Im not a pav fan but I am definitely an Arge bbq fan.
    Spent many months in "Arge" but mostly at sea unfortunately.
    The slow cooked beef ribs on the side of a motorway to this day remain the highlight of my limited overseas travels.

Sunday bbqs on the boat were pretty good too....untill the meat went rancid.....then the cardboard box wine became ok.

Vietnamese beef and coconut rice. This is one of my fave dishes to make. Done with beef rump but would probably be nicer with venison.
    Served with pickled red onions and I’d normally sprinkle with salted roasted peanuts but forgot to buy more. I would honestly give this a 10/10 for flavour! Name:  2958F155-91A3-45C0-8A72-8EDC5A4D3ED0.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  2.19 MB
    hotbarrels, Beaker, bunji and 4 others like this.

Made up some Venison Jerky with off cuts from the Fallow Stag l got last week ,may as well be dinner the Missus is hooked on it & has eaten her body weight in it as it came out of the dehydrator ,will have to guard the last 2 batches to make sure it goes straight in the packaging for Summer /Xmas nibbles.

Name:  Red Fallow jerky Sml.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  95.9 KB

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

20 day old chunk of sirloin steak in the pellet grill for a gentle application of hickory. 225°F cook temp until it reached 125°F internal, then rest for 30 minutes before cutting.

Name:  2021-11-16 16.49.45.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  8.33 MB

Name:  2021-11-16 17.04.13.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  6.94 MB

Name:  2021-11-16 18.08.54.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  8.12 MB

Name:  2021-11-16 18.49.22.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  8.35 MB

Name:  2021-11-16 18.52.36.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  7.22 MB

Nice looking steak there @hotbarrels. Out of interest what brand of pellets do you recommend? I just brought a pellet grill and have been using Traeger pellets for my first couple of cooks. But after stumbling into the YouTube pellet grill rabbit hole, it sounds like other brands may provide more flavour

Missus OD'd on the Venison Jerky we made up yesterday so we just had a Omelets & left over Paella for tea last night ,so today l was fanging for a nice meat hit for tea tonight ,as l will me hitting the hills in the morning for a couple of nice eaters for another Sausage making session ,so took out a bloody nice bit of 1.5 kg Caveman Rib Eye from a home kill l did a while ago & aged for 14 days .

I did it over charcoal in the Pizza Oven, just quick seared

Name:  RED Caveman 1.5K Rib eye Sml.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  91.4 KB

& with a Argentinian sauce we got the recipe from a Camp Cook while we were living there .simply Salt & Pepper , capsicum ,onion Garlic & Jalapeno all from the Farm Veggie patch & crushed up & mixed with some White Wine added & then spooned on.

Put hairs on your chest & the Steak was melt in the mouth ,reserving the others for my Birthday next month .

Name:  RED Caveman 1.5k Ribeye SML.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 17-11-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Missus OD'd on the Venison Jerky we made up yesterday so we just had a Omelets & left over Paella for tea last night ,so today l was fanging for a nice meat hit for tea tonight ,so took out a bloody nice bit of 1.5 kg Caveman Rib Eye from a home kill l did a while ago & aged for 14 days .

I did it over charcoal in the Pizza Oven, just quick seared

Attachment 183753

& with a Argentinian sauce we got the recipe from a Camp Cook while we were living there .simply Salt & Pepper , Garlic , Jalapeno all crushed up & White Wine added & then spooned on.

Put hairs on your chest & the Steak was melt in the mouth ,reserving the others for my Birthday next month .

Attachment 183754
    Oh hell yes.
    bunji likes this.

Made up some Venison Jerky with off cuts from the Fallow Stag l got last week ,may as well be dinner the Missus is hooked on it & has eaten her body weight in it as it came out of the dehydrator ,will have to guard the last 2 batches to make sure it goes straight in the packaging for Summer /Xmas nibbles.
    That looks great. What sort of dehydrator did you use? Thinking about getting myself one for christmas.

It is a Barronet? l think , a large commercial version l brought years ago with my smoking cabinet from a clear out auction from a mob who were supplying the Ski resorts down here with smoked meats & cheeses .I only actually wanted some Stainless Steel benches but there was not a lot of interest in the smoking gear & it was too cheap to knock back ,the way things worked out with us getting into Smoking etc we are glad we decided to go for it.

My missus during summer does in season fruits that are usually expensive in off season like Mango, Pineapple , Strawberry, etc a good dehydrator will quickly pay for itself combined with doing the usual Jerky etc & for us hunters it means we always have a real good proper Old School Scroggin Trail mix supply to keep you going all day in the hills & she has a year round supply for her cake making etc .

To put it in a more relatable way ,we use our dehydrator more than we use the Bread maker that was all the go for a while ,although to be fair we do cook bread in the Pizza oven now.

With your good healthy cooking,l think you would really get a lot of use from one & enjoy it ,the main thing is looking for one that is easy to clean .
    Last edited by bunji; 17-11-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    JessicaChen and Chelsea like this.