Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree12997Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

First batches of Xmas/New Year Venison Jerky & Biltong cranking out ,tonight it will "taste testing" with some of our home made Ham,Salami & our veggie patch salad.

Nothing better than having some Jerky or Biltong too munch on while you are glassing a animal you are going to have a lung busting climb to reach. No doubt as usual me & the missus will eat our body weight in it while it gets Vak Pak in to grab bags for something to give you day long nibbles while hunting/fishing & get togethers etc .

Some Fallow & Red Deer meat sliced up into suitable sizes mix

Name:  Red Jerky bowl Sml.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  87.8 KB

Loaded up for a over night soak in the good stuff

Name:  Red Jerky Bowl Loaded Sml.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  46.8 KB

Some "essential taste testing" just to make sure the same recipe we have used for years is right

Name:  RED Jerky Trial sml.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  85.8 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Venison burgers tonight, rain ruined my plans to do them on the BBQ so they ended up stewing in the frypan and over cooking. It’s Saturday and I was a bit too lazy to put any effort into cooking. Topped with onion rings, gherkins, salad, smoked cheese and good old burger sauce.
    Name:  B76AB6E0-B381-4ABC-8B49-E8BE264E58A8.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  1.35 MB

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You just gotta love a good burger.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Still a touch rare for my likeing.
    Beaker and Phil_H like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Summer fish and chips.
    John Dory fillets simply fried in butter with a splash of lemon and a squodge of tartare sauce.
    Bloody delicious.

.Name:  IMG_20211205_174828.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  5.98 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211205_174823.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  6.16 MBName:  IMG_20211205_174823.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  6.16 MB
    Tahr, Dreamer, Beaker and 7 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Had a run in with a cow last week and broke my lower left ribs, all was well until Tuesday night when they must have moved. A trip to A&E and all has been ok until tonight so back to pain killers and “soft foods” that don’t take much effort to eat.
    Only complaint is I’m out of brown sugar..... good old wheatbix and bananas for dinner. I eat this everyday for breakfast and find it really good to get me through until lunch. Name:  C5812F2B-BA7B-4924-BA3E-47B7712236D3.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  2.11 MB
    Micky Duck and Mrs Beeman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Summer fish and chips.
    John Dory fillets simply fried in butter with a splash of lemon and a squodge of tartare sauce.
    Bloody delicious.

.Attachment 185279
    Attachment 185280Attachment 185280

That looks sooooo good!
    A friend taught me an awesome way of crumbing fish, Dip fish in flour, vanilla yoghurt and then original coat and cook and pan fry. Works with any fish and tastes amazing!
    veitnamcam likes this.

@Chelsea Sorry to hear of the accident .I have had multiple broken ribs due to my long time hobbies/sports of Competing/Sparring in Taekwondo & Off Road Motorcycle racing & Sky Diving .From someone who has fucked up the healing process before & payed the price with Flail Chest after racing after busting a couple & could have finished my love of Scuba Diving .

DO NOT rush back to exertion early, so no PPL Pulling/Pushing/Lifting of anything for a fortnight after ,even making beds, hanging clothes etc .Ice pack it to help with swelling /pain control & TAKE the pain/anti inflammatory as directed even if you do not think you need them. Smoothies & Soups are what l found best for eating the first couple of weeks after.

Take a Fiber supplement like Metamucil etc & drink as much water as you can handle, as the pain killers will bind you up & any strain will hamper healing,keep taking it for a couple of months .Do all your breathing exercises & now you will have to be extra careful with Chyna Flu prevention etc that would be a worst case scenario & hospital bound for sure,guy l raced bikes with punctured a lung with a coughing fit from a mild cold, while recovering 5 weeks later .IMO l would look at isolating myself as much as possible until Xmas as l would not wish busted ribs & something like Covid on my worst enemy & it would be long term hospital care for certain .I hate taking medication of any sought but l would be asking the Doctor for the strongest anti inflammatory/pain killers possible while we are faced with this covid cluster fuck to aid recovery ASAP.

Good luck with the healing,if you have a pool/Spa l found light water resistance exercise was the best healer,wrap the ice packs in cloth to make it more bearable on the rib cage, .If you have any questions just PM me .

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

@veitnamcam Bloody great feed something me & the missus have missed dearly over the lock downs & will be spending a lot of time Spear fishing over the coming months.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Had a run in with a cow last week and broke my lower left ribs, all was well until Tuesday night when they must have moved. A trip to A&E and all has been ok until tonight so back to pain killers and “soft foods” that don’t take much effort to eat.
    Only complaint is I’m out of brown sugar..... good old wheatbix and bananas for dinner. I eat this everyday for breakfast and find it really good to get me through until lunch. Attachment 185281
    after reading first line,I was picturing beef steak on menu........

Not the full dinner, but the lead in while cooking dinner (and maybe a few for dessert) ....
    Name:  IMG_20211205_162446.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  2.68 MB

Very nice after a busy day.
    veitnamcam, bunji, 7.62 and 1 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    after reading first line,I was picturing beef steak on menu........
    Could of put her in the freezer when it happened, downside to having a small herd of friendly cows who won’t hesitate in going over someone if they like. She’s actually our best heifer/ cow in our herd and I really like her so she’s lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Chelsea Sorry to hear of the accident .I have had multiple broken ribs due to my long time hobbies/sports of Competing/Sparring in Taekwondo & Off Road Motorcycle racing & Sky Diving .From someone who has fucked up the healing process before & payed the price with Flail Chest after racing after busting a couple & could have finished my love of Scuba Diving .

DO NOT rush back to exertion early, so no PPL Pulling/Pushing/Lifting of anything for a fortnight after ,even making beds, hanging clothes etc .Ice pack it to help with swelling /pain control & TAKE the pain/anti inflammatory as directed even if you do not think you need them. Smoothies & Soups are what l found best for eating the first couple of weeks after.

Take a Fiber supplement like Metamucil etc & drink as much water as you can handle, as the pain killers will bind you up & any strain will hamper healing,keep taking it for a couple of months .Do all your breathing exercises & now you will have to be extra careful with Chyna Flu prevention etc that would be a worst case scenario & hospital bound for sure,guy l raced bikes with punctured a lung with a coughing fit from a mild cold, while recovering 5 weeks later .IMO l would look at isolating myself as much as possible until Xmas as l would not wish busted ribs & something like Covid on my worst enemy & it would be long term hospital care for certain .I hate taking medication of any sought but l would be asking the Doctor for the strongest anti inflammatory/pain killers possible while we are faced with this covid cluster fuck to aid recovery ASAP.

Good luck with the healing,if you have a pool/Spa l found light water resistance exercise was the best healer,wrap the ice packs in cloth to make it more bearable on the rib cage, .If you have any questions just PM me .
    I did get 5 days sick leave but decided to push through because I have some leave starting next week after working 23 weeks with 7 days off. It’s mostly just milking now and we only have a small herd so not too bad. Being on my feet seems to be better than sitting down.
    Breathing isn’t too bad at the moment I just take shallow breaths but that makes it hard to eat and breath at the same time haha.
    I do worry about coughing and burping hurts a fair bit but I’m much better than I was on Tuesday. I have to take anti inflams most days for another joint condition I have so that should help keep things settled and I have codeine which definitely does slow things down.
    I plan on running away to the bush next week for a week so should hopefully avoid any chances of catching the virus while in this state, not too sure how sleeping is going to go in a tent though.
    Will take all that advice on bored thanks! Been breaking horses in all my short life yet never broke a single bone, open a gate to draft a friendly cow and this happens. Typical....
    Marty Henry likes this.

Smoked a couple of tomahawks for 1.5hr and then gave each side a 2min sear, not bad!
    Name:  9E665263-8329-40D4-8E28-A51AC8D6CDEE.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  3.13 MB
    Name:  8689DCA9-0A10-4209-99CC-D1501C04E55A.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  2.70 MB

Needed something for set & forget cooking tonight, as we dropped off some of our Xmas presents for the neighbor's of care packages of our Home Made Venison & Pork Sausages & started packing for our trip away for my birthday bash in a couple of days, for a week away of Spear Fishing & Jet Boat hunting & relaxing .

Name:  RED Xmas 4 Neighbours SML.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  93.7 KB

So l wacked on a 22 day Dry Aged Rib Eye Roast from a Home Kill l did a while ago ,we have found 22 days ageing suits our tastes & it was melt in the mouth stuff. Gotta a couple of aged T Bones the same l will try this week as well.

Name:  RED Rib Eye Roast 22 day Sml.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  51.3 KB

Missus spoilt me & cooked one of my favorite deserts Sticky Date pudding .Yumbo

Name:  RED Sicky Date Sml.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  63.6 KB