Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree419Likes

Thread: Making a Sharps Barrel in my lathe.

this is an awsome thread. really enjoy seeing a lump of steel turning into an amazingly crafted gun. cheers for the pics and the detailed info. the clever ways of getting the lathe and drill press to do what you want done is worth its own thread too.

Hi, Hey Kimjon thanks for your offer, I may at a later date take you up on that, save me going all the way down to the Pureora Forest and I can come self sufficient, could come down in my caravan, and if you are not milking the cows, will bring some homebrews!, can't drink this and still millke thas cooowws!, And Dan88, the receiver is radis on the tang area, so for a clever way of doing this I turned my lathe into a grinding one and set the receiver to turn the required radi . Then fitted my grinding spindle assy with drill as drive , plenty of rags it was under way, but will be a slow job, have to take small cuts with the cross slide as in feed. The pics should give the clever idea, Cheers, Homebrew.357.Name:  P1020225.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  173.9 KB, receiver in 4 jaw chuck. Name:  P1020226.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  152.4 KB, My grinding attachment with drill to drive. Name:  P1020227.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  155.6 KB, there you go, No such thing as "Can't do it".

No worries, pm me with a bit of lead in time when you're ready.

That grinding set up is genius! I'm learning a few tricks just by following this thread. Truly awesome kiwi ingenuity.

Kj
    Savage1 likes this.

'I`m leaning a few tricks", Hell, I should have a patent out on this stuff, , or start a engineering school on how to make anything with a potato peeler and egg beater. . The grinding op has come out good, I now have a nice radis on top of the receiver and with some fine sanding should come up nice and smooth. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020230.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  155.4 KB, Looking good.
    Savage1 and kimjon like this.

Hi Guys, As you know I was looking for some Woodstock for this rifle , well I have got a lovely bit thanks to GaryP. I think its black walnut and this will make a real nice stock if I do my job ok. As for a nice oil finish, thinking of True oil, but have not used it before, just looking for a nice oil finish on the stock. Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020231.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  156.9 KB, , Thanks Garyp.
    Toby and kotuku like this.

Boiled linseed gives a nice finish, but will spot when it gets wet. Trueoil is pretty good, I rate it for something that does what it says on the bottle. There are more complicated ways of doing it, but bang for buck trueoil is pretty good.

I made this stock from walnut from scratch. The finish is trueoil added is holding up really well. If it wears, you can steel wool it...then reapply...easy as.

Kj
    veitnamcam and homebrew.357 like this.

wow -what a cracker piece of stock wood.that show off the sexy wee beastie to perfection I bet. aye squire you truly are a bloody genius the original McGyver of gunsmithing
    to all the wowsers who say beer aint good for ya -lookwhat homebrew does to ya intellect!
    BTW Kj- your stockwork is bloody nice too.Hidden talents eh what!

I'll have a word with my gun smith here and see if I can get his Purdy recipe off of him. I've a tin of it in the shed and have redone all my stocks with. Alkanet Root is in it and really helps with bring out the fiddles and grain.

Hi guys, Yep the brew is not a bad drop now, when I first started I set down two brews and to check on them I sent two samples to the D S I R, got a urgent telegram saying" Shoot both donkeys ' Homebrew.357, Heeehaaaaa.
    kimjon likes this.

at least you didnt get a plain brown envelope confirming a pregnancy!
    homebrew.357 likes this.

Now that would make the brew full of a few hormones, , Looking at my waste line, mmmmmm, mind it`s been like this for a few years now, so I don`t think I've go that problem. Into a bit of technical stuff now, checking on what heat treatments for the 4140 steel and It looks like the barrels ok as is. The receiver and breech block will be nitrate case hardened, this is to stop wear and still can be blued, but before that's done will finish off a few bits to do, tang screw holes, surface polish, barrel fitting and will have a mock up to see if it will fire some primed cases, if it does I`m in business for the proof test. At the moment I`m setting up the trigger assembly and making shore the lock sear is engaging properly. I have the plans for the "shotgun" stock for this rifle and that's the one I will make for it. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    veitnamcam and kimjon like this.

Hi guys, I feel a bit like Nasa, When after all the hard work men finally stood on the moon, witch means I have busted some primers in this rifle, so the firing pin is working, after some twigging and will have to bend the under lever up a bit so the breech block is a bit lower, pin hit is to high. This is the stage where you find out what's not working and start fixing your stuff ups. . Will have to shim were the barrel screws into the receiver buy 15/16" thou, It's this much out with a barrel flat at the top and breech block is a rubbing fit on barrel breech end only with a case in, bit of find sanding will fix for a nice tight head space. So it`s my clever way of fixing things up that will get this rifle going,Cheers, Homebrew.357.Name:  P1020237.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  162.5 KB, The first fired primers. Name:  P1020238.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  164.6 KB, You have to look again. Name:  P1020239.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  149.2 KB, Think of it as baby pic`s. Name:  P1020240.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  156.7 KB, It`s my baby, oops could be the brew.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Savage1 and 3 others like this.

we salute you as im sure many of the worlds gunmakers best would.A bloody epic project in every sense of the word.no doubt the next brew to go through the fermenter will be an old"45/70special". kick like a demented donkey and makes ya fart like blackpowder igniting and a head on it you could ricochet a lead slug off!
    Blaser likes this.

What an awesome sense of achievement you must have right now, great job!

Kj

Hi, guys, yep, Kotuku, I may just have the right brew for this baby, It`s called "weetbix and jelly bean stout", two cans of stout, small packet weetbix , some brown sugar. It ferments for 18 days and when you bottle it just drop in two black jelly beans. Its 11 percent alcohol and black as gunpowder, after two bottles my wife say I would be a sert to take over the mawi gas field . Now even though it fired , I was holding the B/block in the right place for the firing pin hit, when fully closed the pin was to high. I have recut and welded the under lever so it now puts the b/block in the right spot when closed. Still a bit more to do, the ejector slot and cut out for it in the breech end of the barrel , still have to sort out how to do this. Cheers, Homebrew.357.