Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree419Likes

Thread: Making a Sharps Barrel in my lathe.

Hi Guys, I am still doing some bits on the rifle, mainly the stock wood fitting form the black walnut I got. Have roughly cut out the stock and forearm bits and fitting the forearm first, I cut it to fit the barrel on the lathe, same way I did the Hawken, and with lots of planning, sanding, oiling I have a nice forearm for the rifle. Still needs a few more coats of oil ,but I think its a keeper. This is the short forearm schnabble for the octagonal barrel, 10 1/2", I think it looks better on the short barrel, and it`s not to the plans, just my free hands having a go. Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020306.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  172.7 KB, Rough cut out.
    Name:  P1020307.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  151.5 KB, Pick the best bit for the stock.
    Name:  P1020309.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  171.2 KB, The forearm is fitting on nicely .
    Name:  P1020312.JPG
Views: 855
Size:  160.1 KB, And you can see with my back yard way I have a nice bit of wood sitting on the rifle.
    P38, veitnamcam, Bryan and 5 others like this.

Hi, I was trying my idea of how to acid etch the side plate, off cause me being an electroplater no problem. My idea was to use a battery charger to do the etching, so I spray painted a test piece with clear lacquer all over and when dry I cut out and glued on my test pattern. I then carefully scraped away the lacquer all around the pattern outline and a bit more around it, then washed it in soapy water lightly and in to the battery acid, power on. Gave it 15 minuets , water wash and cleaned off with paint striper . Looks good, a bit more time etching for a deeper etch so it will stay after blueing . I have cut out some American Bison for the side plate, should look good. Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020314.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  143.0 KB, test, American eagle.
    P38, Scouser and kotuku like this.

Hi Homebrew, I made this one with my credit card today! Pedisoli 45/70 falling block carbine hasn't done much work by the look of it. Will shoot it next week! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  191.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  199.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  192.7 KB
    kimjon, mikee, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

That's absolutely cheating!!, , you lazy sod, , it`s so unfear, post it up to me so I can check if mine is the same, . and so I can find out how they shoot!!!, . You lucky sod, you had better git it to the range and get the barrel dirty, make heaps of smoke Maca 49, Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Beaker, Tommy and Sideshow like this.

I knew you would feel like that, I haven't seen a shorty in a falling block, so grabbed it, go nicely with my Trapdoor and Matini Henry 45/70s I'll like you know how it goes with 63 grains 2f and a 500 grain slug!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You two buggers should go head to head at the tobygoodley memorial shoot next year. clint eastood &johnwayne reborn!
    Scouser and Sideshow like this.

Hi Maca49, No you have still got it wrong!!, Those short ones need 70grs fffg and a 550gr bullet to get it out to 800yards. You can rest between shots, while they patch up your shoulder in hospital,. Have heaps of fun with it, I`m going to when I get mine up and running, in the mean time eat heaps of mince pies, ham, turkey, washed down with lots of beer, need more weight to handle that new gun. Cheers, lucky sod, Hombrew.357.

Shoulder is sorted, plenty of practice with this bitch!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  902.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  945.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  484.8 KB in 45/70
    P38 and homebrew.357 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

O M G, You know how to hurt a man to the quick, that is painfully a lovely looking rifle, none of your plastic fantastic stuff, just plain old reliable . You have some nice guns Maca 49, enjoy them. Hi Kotuku I want to be Quigley , I`m shore I can find a wooden bucket!. Homebrew.357.
    Maca49 likes this.

how do ya do ,the names a brew -me trusty muskets fired a few. well ol chap you could alwasys hitch a lift with the SASto the current picnic spot.Im sure a few booms ,clouds of smoke and resulting dead hiluxes would confuse the assorted cameshaggers scrapping
    ali ali what is that -do not know razzi -allah mentioned nothing about man with long gun that sound like bull camel farting but vanishes in great cloud of smoke.
    Oh dear what will ISIS boss say our hilux tank has fallen over all dead -great hunk of lead sticking out!!woe is us.
    Maca49 likes this.

I`m glad to be in NZ, I hope Hellen gets the job of sorting the buggers out. A 45-70 would do a bit of damage to a technical, but I love it when a hell fire missile goes in the back window, there an`t much left. Working on the stock now, planed the base flat to true it up for a datum, then cut the front angle true on the lathe. Set up the stock to cut the slot for the trigger plate base and then while its still there will mill out the deeper slots for it to fit in. I always cut it a bit small, then a bit of chisel work should get it fitting snug. Still waiting for bits form US, should come tomorrow, but will have to stop soon to get ready for the mainland trip. Cheers all, Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020315.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  163.0 KB, Milling out the trigger base slot.
    Name:  P1020316.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  156.7 KB, My set up for the stock.

Hi, So with a bit of careful inletting the trigger plate assemble fits in nice and snug, and all I`v got to do is fit in the rest of it with no mistakes. . It will be a tricky job, but now I have a good datum point and with very careful work should get it fitting right. Some people just buy them, but it`s so much more fun to make your own. Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020317.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  172.9 KB, Trigger plate fits in.
    Name:  P1020318.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  132.3 KB, It`s getting there.
    veitnamcam, Scouser and Gibo like this.

Yep I'll be shooting mine this weekend, cause I've got the time! Im sure you look at a job and say" what's the hardest way I could perform this task?", I take my hat off to you, you are a talent, now don't screw it up!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hi ,I want to see the 50m target, to see if you can beat my one with the Hawken, and doing it on my lathe is speeding it up, I think. Just think, when I walk onto the range with it," Shiloh Sharps" , no , it`s a Kiwi Sharps! , and the action is stronger, it`s .020" wider, a bit more steel there. But what you have got is what you use and what you use is what you have got, so go shoot that gun and have fun. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Maca49 and Gibo like this.

Hold it, got it wrong, just measured the receiver width and it`s .068" per side so it is a strong action. The plans say it should be 1.830"and it is now 1.966" , this came about because when I had the breech block hole cut the tool shop surfaced ground the block of steel square and true, so I left it like that and a bit more weight will be good for my shoulder, , Get stuck into Xmas, Cheers, Homebrew.357.