Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree419Likes

Thread: Making a Sharps Barrel in my lathe.

bejasus what a drop ta wet the bairns head!.that'll pack a kick like a bloody demented rhino if you overindulge id imagine!
    homebrew.357 likes this.

Hi Kotuku, I wouldn't wet the baby's head with this stuff, the poor bugger would never have any hair!!. After a bit of thinking I sussed out how to cut the slot in the receiver for the ejector, I made up a tungsten tipped cutter and set it in the fore jaw chuck. Mounted the receiver onto the cross slide and at 6% angle for the ejector slot, the cutter was set at the right height with the chuck and infeed with the cross slide, it`s working and I`m still doing it. How, just move the saddle up and down and slowly wind it in, like a shaper!, No such thing as "Can't do it", Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020199.JPG
Views: 995
Size:  165.4 KB, Where I get my T/C tips from. Name:  P1020241.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  154.6 KB, The set up. Name:  P1020242.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  153.3 KB, Cuts like a shaper.Name:  P1020243.JPG
Views: 983
Size:  153.5 KB, The cutter coming out after a pass.

So after cutting the slot for the ejector I had to fit it, and with a bit of grinding, filing I finally got I to work. Now the breech end of the barrel has a flat on the side and a milled cross slot so the ejector can sit in when the breech is closed. I set the barrel up and with my normal backyard milling I got the job done. My hunting trip looks like its gone tits up, they can't get anyone to come with me and need two on the block, so I will be going away for a few days myself for a break. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020244.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  159.1 KB, Ejector fits in.
    Name:  P1020246.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  170.8 KB, Again, flagged it so you can see.
    Name:  P1020251.JPG
Views: 1026
Size:  152.0 KB, Milling flat on barrel.
    kimjon likes this.

Hi guys, A bit more, After milling the flat I had to mill a slot for the ejector as well then it would close in when the breech was closed. When all was working I tried a case and it ejected perfectly . I then tried some loaded cases and no go, the rim on them was slightly larger, from a different batch, so had to machine a bit out of the barrel so they would fit in,(.003") all's is now good, all cases fit in. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020252.JPG
Views: 874
Size:  158.9 KB, The barrel set up.
    Name:  P1020254.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  171.8 KB, Case fits in.
    Name:  P1020255.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  158.9 KB, Breech closed.
    Name:  P1020256.JPG
Views: 851
Size:  151.8 KB, Case ejects nicely .
    veitnamcam, kimjon, mikee and 3 others like this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Have you finished my rifle yet??

Flaming heck, I knew this would happen, Spanners you will have to move to the back of the queue and I`m going to stock up on old washing machine parts and bike chain plus sprockets so I can go into mass production." The Homebrewed Kiwi Quigley down under 1874 Sharps rifle Company ". Sounds about right. I`m trying to make a tang sight for the rifle and after I have drilled the holes for it that will be the last bit of machining on the receiver, a good clean and polish then it and breech block will be case hardened. Thinking of trying some acid etching on the side plate, but will practise on some scrap before I give it a go. You know it`s all coming to gather., Homebrew.357.
    kimjon and Beaker like this.

listen HB-if you want washing machine motors etc just yodel cause my q store does have a coupleof spares and to a god bastard like you its postage only and theyre yours.Hells bells if theres one thing trhat cheers a man up these days its progress reports on the new bairn.spanners ya bugger -stick with ya shanghai!
    homebrew.357 likes this.

Hi All, I`m pissed of, I should stick to a shanghai as well, hunting with my black powder rifle, up pops a deer, kaarrboomm!, deer went that way and haven't a clue where the bullet went!! , I missed!!. That's it, the bloody Hawken is for goats only and my .308 radar deer detecting rifle s uno number one deer rifle from now on. Yer I know, some times we have stupid ideas that just means we are stupid. O well, just have a beer and plan the next trip, , Homebrew.357.Name:  P1020264.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  156.8 KB, I always only see one deer, bugger!.

I think this indicates more hunting time, and then more beer drinking is required.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Have you finished my rifle yet??
    Now then Spanners.....Homebrew357 is not your bitch, are you Homebrew

personally HB id have offered the deer a beer ,and while the bugger was drinking Id have popped one behind his lughole -decimationand marinading all in one.
    Ignore spanners -hes getting a touch excited now he knows father xmas is due soon.

Hi, When I get a chance I`m going to ether rebore and recut the rifling or make a new barrel for the Hawkens. Have been playing around making a tang sight for the Sharps and now I have drilled and taped the two holes for it to fit on I can get the breech block and receiver case hardened. When I get it back I can then fit the barrel on, BUT,it all has to line up at once, the last bit of tighting the barrel, ejector lines up and breech will close, Head spacing at .001/2", A flat on the top lines up for the sights. As you can see I`v more chance of winning lotto!. If I do get it, it`s ready for proof testing. My take on this is to load up some cartridges for a Ruger no 1 with cast lead 425gr bullets, fire two or three of there's and check things over, of cause I will not be holding the gun, any volunteers Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1020279.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  162.0 KB, Tang sight. Name:  P1020280.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  168.0 KB, It clips on. Name:  P1020281.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  154.2 KB, And off. Name:  P1020282.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  166.0 KB, While the bucket is going out to 800 yards.
    Beaker, kotuku and res like this.

spannnnnnnnneeeeeeerrrrrrssssssss!where are you homebrew needs ya now. good man .no it wont hurt -if it does mum will kiss it better ok-right off you go

there ya go HB-volunteer problem sorted .well if he wants to lay claim to it he can be the tester!

Ok, Thanks Spanners, My past tests have not gone to bad, I`ll have plenty of band aids on hand. Here`s a pic of my last test, the tester is still running I think! . Thanks again Spanners, live can be a bitch but some ones has to do it. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Pic , a bit much powder!!!.Name:  ATT00034[1].jpg
Views: 974
Size:  154.1 KB
    kotuku and res like this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    Ok, Thanks Spanners, My past tests have not gone to bad, I`ll have plenty of band aids on hand. Here`s a pic of my last test, the tester is still running I think! . Thanks again Spanners, live can be a bitch but some ones has to do it. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
    Pic , a bit much powder!!!.Attachment 42599
    bugger -thats a real undies decorator for sure!
    Scouser likes this.