Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree419Likes

Thread: Making a Sharps Barrel in my lathe.

So have set up for turning the O D to 1" at the muzzle and breech at 1.220" for 2" in from the end, this is for the tulip bit that has the receiver threads and then tapers down to 1.150". To set the barrel for taper turning, first the barrel is set to run on centre and the muzzle is turned to size required, 1", set up D T I in tool post and set say 0.04 mm on the breech end, then move to muzzle 1" area and move tailstock over till you get the same setting ,so it will cut strait from 1" back to nothing at 2.5" in from the breech end. The problem with turning a long shaft on the lathe is the middle bit want`s to acted like a wet noodle and chatter like poo, so to stop this I tried a spring on the tool post wrapped around the barrel, seam`s to have stop most of it. , Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1010955.JPG
Views: 1150
Size:  172.6 KB, Muzzle turned to 1". Name:  P1010956.JPG
Views: 1195
Size:  168.5 KB, Breech end set on centre, with drive. Name:  P1010958.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  152.5 KB, spring around barrel to stop chatter. Name:  P1010960.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  149.3 KB, I diden`t know if it would work, but it did, nice rats tail swarf coming of.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Nice curls peeling off there HB. I still am in awe of you making your action parts using your lathe like a mill.

Today I saw gunsmith John Hall's home made rifling machine. Very similar setup with chains and sprockets to what you rigged up on your lathe but his is a dedicated bed.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I`m bloody a mazed I even started it, starting to get myself into a corner because of the precision required , so will have the breech block and receiver hole done by a tool maker and as I don`t want to stuff things up, could any body lone me a 45-70 chamber reamer, I know there`s not much of this U S rifle stuff around in NZ, but you never know your luck. A rifle is a precision made tool, so have to get it right. Have to look in E Bay for one and then can sell it to someone else who`s having a go at making a Sharps. ,Homebrew.357.

Hi, Have got the barrel sorted, bore, .450" ,lapped, polished with 1200grt paper and O D tapered. Now will have to do some precision work so I don`t stuff things up, which means I`m getting a David Manson finishing chamber reamer for the chamber job , David says it will do the whole job of chambering being a straight case and it will do it 40-50 times, good reamers, he`s in the U S of A. Have ordered a block of 4140 for the receiver and when it comes will sort out getting the breech hole done. But don`t worry there`s plenty of backyard ,number 8 wire stuff to come yet.,Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1010963.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  176.8 KB
    AzumitH and Scouser like this.

@homebrew.357 stumbled over a web page you might be interested in the other day

Rifling attachment for lathe

Hi Shamus, Yer, there is a lot of ways of doing the same thing, and that looks good, but I had to work it out with what I had . I`v no mill or dividing head . Have just made a resizing die for the 45-70 cases , the slight tapered case is easy to machine ? and here I am looking for a chamber reamer in the US, it`s a no brainer, Homebrew.357.[ATTACH=CONFIG]31673,/ATTACH] My first reloads in 45-70, there`s are test ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    Hi Shamus, Yer, there is a lot of ways of doing the same thing, and that looks good, but I had to work it out with what I had . I`v no mill or dividing head . Have just made a resizing die for the 45-70 cases , the slight tapered case is easy to machine ? and here I am looking for a chamber reamer in the US, it`s a no brainer, Homebrew.357.[ATTACH=CONFIG]31673,/ATTACH] My first reloads in 45-70, there`s are test ones.
    Just thought you might like to see someone else's setup - many different ways to skin a cat eh! Really enjoying reading your posts

Hi, Yep, just set up and have cut the chamber in my Sharps barrel, I used a t/c form cutter for the job with a 6/7 degree slope into the rifling throat and no lead for these old timers. I used a new case and s a a m i 45-70 drawing to get it to a nice fit. The barrel was trued up both ends and light cuts nice and slowly did the job and a polish with 600grt paper I now have a Sharps 45-70 barrel . , Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1010966.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  166.2 KB, Machining case rim recess in barrel. Name:  P1010967.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  148.8 KB, chafer sharp edges, done. Name:  P1010969.JPG
Views: 996
Size:  172.2 KB, The gun drill I made, (diden`t work), comeinhandy for this job. Name:  P1010972.JPG
Views: 1047
Size:  166.1 KB, New 45-70 case fits in snugly . Name:  P1010973.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  167.9 KB, Loaded case fits in nicely .
    P38, veitnamcam, ishoot10s and 5 others like this.

Hi Guys, Now with a bit of work shop magic I have made my lathe an octagonal one, ( no tit pull Toby), made a ali disc to fit on my rifling register with eight holes for lock pin stop. The barrel is mounted on centres and locked from moving at the four jaw chuck end ,turning one in tail stock. I have set up two cutters at different heights in the tool post, cut using one then turn post for a lower or higher cut with the saddle wheel and just move lock pin around for the next one. Nice light cuts shaves in the flats, esy pesy, , Homebrew.357.
    Name:  P1010974.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  150.7 KB, Octagonal, eight holes disc for lock pin. Name:  P1010975.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  157.7 KB, Two cutters at once for maybe a faster job.
    ishoot10s and Toby like this.

I imagine you're using the feed mechanism to get a nice uninterrupted pass and not moving the carriage by hand? Doesn't seem to be much you can't do with that lathe...

Hi ishoot10s, No such luck mate, carn`t put the lathe in drive with the gear box locket up for cutting the octagonal , so yes I`m winding the saddle up and down, up and down, ext .ext,.
    Say one flat takes 50 parses , only cuts from tail stock to chuck, so for eight flats that's 400 down and 400 up, yep I`v got arms like a gorilla , but nothing is easy ., Home brew.357.Name:  P1010976.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  153.3 KB, barrel clamped at chuck end on centre. Name:  P1010977.JPG
Views: 1090
Size:  154.7 KB, muzzle end in turning centre and tail stock set over to cuts the flats.Name:  P1010978.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  164.0 KB,And the octagonal is SLOWLY coming on.

Holy shit!
    Gibo and Tommy like this.

res
    I just get more and more impressed as this project progresses
    Blaser, mikee and Kiwi-Hunter like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Skills

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Holy shit!
    Double...nar fuk it...TRIPLE HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt