Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: ammunition on national flights

That's correct, as the NZCAA Rules only set out the minimum standards that are to be complied with. Individual operators must specify in their exposition how they intend to comply with those requirements and in practise often exceed the basic requirements. There are also differences in the standards for different levels of organisations; VFR operations such as those that you would fly into the bush with, commuter airlines that have aircraft without segregated baggage compartments, transport aircraft above 5700 kg maximum take-off weight - Air NZ/Jetstar domestic, and then again for international operators. So, like the CAA said check with your airline first. incidentally I had several rounds of 7mm wsm ammunition removed (and destroyed) from my baggage by aviation security in QN when returning north in late March, reason given was that the rounds were just secured by a rubber band so potentially could rub together, and also an empty aluminium fuel bottle in another bag. Weary after 10 days in the bush and a tight schedule. Unfortunately you will receive different information from individual staff members within Air NZ (and likely other large airlines), probably due to unfamiliarity so best to talk to them early in the piece.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

@38 South that is the issue. Air NZ gives mixed messages. When you book and tell them you have a firearm all you are told is the ammuntion must be in a separate bag. On their website with info about dangerous goods there is no mention of having to be in original packaging or any other sort of container. Then at check in you are surprised by someone saying it must be in an original container. You have booked the trip 6 months ago and paind over $1000 for your hunting, and cannot take your ammo, and cannot buy any one the way as you are flying in to he block on the Sunday. Plus you are sighted in for handloads, not commercial ammo.
    Air NZ needs to get their act together and state clearly the requirements on their website and train their call centre staff properly.

^ Agreed, it's not good enough.

Post on their social media. It seems like it's the only way to get anything done with regards to corporations.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    @38 South that is the issue. Air NZ gives mixed messages. When you book and tell them you have a firearm all you are told is the ammuntion must be in a separate bag. On their website with info about dangerous goods there is no mention of having to be in original packaging or any other sort of container. Then at check in you are surprised by someone saying it must be in an original container. You have booked the trip 6 months ago and paind over $1000 for your hunting, and cannot take your ammo, and cannot buy any one the way as you are flying in to he block on the Sunday. Plus you are sighted in for handloads, not commercial ammo.
    Air NZ needs to get their act together and state clearly the requirements on their website and train their call centre staff properly.
    Or you could just keep your ammo in original packaging. Or boxes that look like original packaging.

I know a few guys who have traveled overseas with all their 9mm reloads packed in factory ammo packets rescued from the rubbish bin at the range.

What if I'm taking a spam can of 660 rounds of Romanian milsurp? It's in the original factory packaging.

Airlines are not free to make their own decisions regarding carriage of dangerous goods, they must comply with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. These regulations are quite complex, and it is no surprise that you will get different stories from different people, because more than likely the people on the phone have no dangerous goods training.

Carriage of ammunition is covered under exceptions to the rules, which allows you to carry up to 5kg without declaring (and packaging) as dangerous goods. Be thankful that this exception exists, because if you were required to declare/package them as dangerous goods the cost would be prohibitive.

The airlines do, of course, reserve the right to place more restrictive requirements than required by the IATA DGRs.

This is cut and pasted from the regulations from TABLE 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew
    (Subsection 2.3)

"Ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely packaged (in Div. 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014
    only), in quantities not exceeding 5 kg gross weight per person for that person's own use.
    Allowances for more than one person must not be combined into one or more packages."
    A330driver likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What if I'm taking a spam can of 660 rounds of Romanian milsurp? It's in the original factory packaging.
    Does it weigh five kilograms or less?

I am quite happy to follow their rules, I would just like to know what they are.

Right this is what I'm doing writing to the head Dude of each airline, getting what is needed down on paper!
    Will also make sure that I have there personally line number and email!
    Then when I meet little Hitler at the check in I can wave me papers in his/her face and tell them to call top man and sort it with him.
    I've learnt never deal with the minions there a bunch of plebes deal with the main Dude and save yourself the headache

So shot gun ammo would not be aloud in original packaging. ? It's not separated . Very confusing

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

They all seem to make up their own rules like my bag that held my ammo also had to have a lock on it.
    Which is no where in the rules.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bus driver
    Mate,any chance that when you receive such replys from the head "dudes",they could be put into a sticky file,so that one could print and carry.....thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Right this is what I'm doing writing to the head Dude of each airline, getting what is needed down on paper!
    Then when I meet little Hitler at the check in I can wave me papers in his/her face and tell them to call top man and sort it with him.
    I've learnt never deal with the minions there a bunch of plebes deal with the main Dude and save yourself the headache
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Mate I will put money on it that they will not commit themselves in writing. It's just not how the game is played
    Best of luck at any rate.
    Beaker likes this.

I'll bet you a dollar to a knob of goat shit you won't get an answer, just a referral to policy as stated on the website.

You're better off to print the policy and be seen to have tried to comply, and have it ready to show the check in agent.

I've seen lots of guys in full camo checking in and watched for a laugh.

Generally they're amped for the trip, running late, and haven't read the policy.....

Ask yourself at this point who holds all the cards, and who ( even if they're wrong ) has the potential to cause the other party the most inconvenience and upset.

It always helps to start with a smile and try to be seen to have complied.

I say all this cause if I fuck up taking guns and ammo on a flight, my job is gone.

Be careful how you go when hitting up the ' top dog ', because as with couriers, it might be just as easy for them to say no, it's all too hard, and not worth the agro at the check in counter.

B
    Munsey, Beaker and A330driver like this.