Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: ammunition on national flights

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Ryan you are normally quite particular about accuracy of statement but I see a flaw in your post. An Abacus is not a computer coz it doesn't have a USB port.
    Rushy, given that you're a dad and a granddad, you are legally entitled to make such jokes.
    gadgetman, R93, Beaker and 1 others like this.

I think it was how I scanned them? Still not sure but once I put it up as PDF it went through fine.
    What I liked is that they got in contact saying that they could not open them.
    Don't know of another airline that would bother especially coming from there head office!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I think it was how I scanned them? Still not sure but once I put it up as PDF it went through fine.
    What I liked is that they got in contact saying that they could not open them.
    Don't know of another airline that would bother especially coming from there head office!
    Quite often the email system is set up so the staff cannot open the attachments even though the software is loaded to view it. This is to avoid accidentally opening something dodgy that can bring the whole system to a halt. They can view the type of file, just not from an email.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Well sitting in the departure lounge at Heathrow T3.
    Now what I went through for the last hour was......interesting
    Airline was fine yes sir all present and correct packed ammo correct guns correct
    Wicked me thinks
    Now comes the terminal staff really what a bunch of fucken morons!!!!!
    Luckily I had one guy that saw the light when I produced all the paper work.
    One look and he says cool you done ya home work I'll sort it for you.
    Tells dip shit on the exray machine....."listen love it's not loaded even I can see that"!
    Then I hear you can't take ammo on the plane!
    He says again no it's going in the hole! Hear again look he can't take it on the plane! He says look there is no way that that 28kg back is going in the over head locker! It's going in the hold! Oh ok then
    God it's like the blind leading the blind
    Anyway my flights been called see you all in a days time
    Tell someone up there to turn the heat up as it's 28 here today
    veitnamcam likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Heading to nelson 3rd april, anyone know anymore about ammo and rifles on air nz, really need a double gun case too

Regarding people getting caught out with original packaging and their ammunition. My best guess is it relates to correctly labelling DGs

From the website:
    Airline safety requirements
    Ammunition must be securely packed in division 1.4S (UN0012 or UN0014) and must not exceed 5kg gross weight.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 3.26.15 PM.png
Views: 194
Size:  26.1 KB
    A330driver and Blisters like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Heading to nelson 3rd april, anyone know anymore about ammo and rifles on air nz, really need a double gun case too
    I talked to my dad who works at the airport and some of his colleagues. I didn't seem to get a consistent answer. It seemed like ammo in separate case to rifle and bolt on your persons in your carry on was what they wanted. Best to call someone high up and see what they say.

Can borrow my 2 gun hard case if you promise to be a good boy to it lol.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Yeah its weird how theres no single answer, keen for case what do you drink? Waikato?(eww)
    Russian 22. likes this.

Also approved is this less exciting version as its actually small arms ammunition , inert projectile, not liable to explode in bulk.
    The word explosive gets some peoples heart racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All the dangerous goods courses I've ever had the fortune of having to complete always go on about the original packaging.
    i.e. correctly labelled and fit for purpose, I'd say the issue with the check in staff is a hang over from similar work based training, rather than good practical judgement.
    Travelling with firearms and ammunition domestically is generally a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Yeah its weird how theres no single answer, keen for case what do you drink? Waikato?(eww)
    Sure. I like asahi. But won't say no to Waikato haha.

Yup 5kg max and original packaging for Ammo. I bring ammo back from CHC to AKL all the time and they ask me these questions. Aoraki Ammo customer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    It seemed like ammo in separate case to rifle and bolt on your persons in your carry on was what they wanted. Best to call someone high up and see what they say.

FFS, “talk to someone high up”; how much time have you got to waste.....check the website of the respective airline and print the relative information off, so you’ve got proof, otherwise it’s you against the airline rep.

The other gem... “the bolt on your person in your carry on”.....that will end in tears at security scanning.

Oh and I work at the airport too.

B
    outdoorlad and Moutere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    FFS, “talk to someone high up”; how much time have you got to waste.....check the website of the respective airline and print the relative information off, so you’ve got proof, otherwise it’s you against the airline rep.

The other gem... “the bolt on your person in your carry on”.....that will end in tears at security scanning.

Oh and I work at the airport too.

B

As I said. I talked to the ground staff and half of them didn't seem to know the rules so I was going by what I was told at the time. And when I searched the air nz website I found a lot more useful information.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Hiya.

I recently flew to Christchurch for a hunt, I had about 15x rounds inside a standard pouch with the elastic fitted holes which you put your bullets inside. On the flight from AKLD I had no issues with security however when I checked in my bag to the flight from Christchurch to AKLD the security person said there are new rules that all ammunition has to be stored in the 'original' packaging... I had all of my rem mag AMAX rounds confiscated... My pouch wasn't acceptable.

With these new said rules, how would I go about transporting them the next time? Would one of those green hardlid cases be acceptable?
    There are a lot of regular travellers on this forum for competition shooting and hunting.

Just flew back from one yesterday with a heap of forum members.
    When you get asked if your ammo is in original packaging you always say yes.

You are allowed 5kgs in your checkin luggage on both international and national flights.
    After all. What is original packaging for ammunition you constructed yourself?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.