Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: ammunition on national flights

OK so the original op is national flights.
    Just a heads up on international and different airports.
    It doesn't matter what your airline states. If the ground staff are not happy then it's not going on even if you are complying with everything that the airline states.
    I did this when flying with Emirates to NZ. They where really good. They had all my forms printed and waiting for me on arrival at Heathrow.
    But the ground staff, that is the secrurity had not a clue! Just to be clear that is not emirates staff but BAA ground staff. When exraying the two rifles I heard one say oh but we can't see that it's not loaded Another wanted to put the ammo on by it's self. Even though the airline states that it needs to be in a locked box and packed securely in your main hold bag.
    I got there in the end. And both rifles our now back on NZ soil. On the way back Emirates even had all the paper work ready for the return trip can't get better than that when I did not even tell them that it was a one way trip for the rifles.

I suspect that this is the issue that you will start to face and see. I have read of people flying down to the South Island and then not being able to fly back with there ammo. Even though there ammo boxs have not changed from the original flight out.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    When the NZ IPSC pistol team went to France many of them used saved factory boxes for their reloads.

I also heard some just printed their own labels and stuck them on MTM plastic boxes.

Never heard of anyone having a problem.

That printing is a good idea maybe the way forward. Might try that

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    This is from air NZ’s website
    https://www.airnewzealand.com/dangerous-goods#firearms
    Print it and take it with you or domestictly have the link on your phone
    Those are air nz rules show you can show the staff
    Used to work for air nz years ago - regional staff often know more than the big centres as they do more jobs

Firearms and ammunition

Taking firearms into or out of a country

Most countries have firearms and ammunition clearance requirements that you must apply for before you leave home. They are usually required when you leave and enter each country.

All firearms must be carried in a lockable case suitable for air carriage, for example a suitcase, box or container that is designed to prevent access. For firearms carried to or from the USA or UK, the firearm case must be hard sided and locked.

For more information on bringing firearms and ammunition into New Zealand and/or leaving with them, see the New Zealand Police website.

Airline safety requirements

Ammunition must be securely packed in division 1.4S (UN0012 or UN0014) and must not exceed 5kg gross weight.

Prohibited

Any firearm or ammunition that does not have the legally required import/export permit or other documentation required under your departing and destination countries' laws
    Ammunition must not be carried in the same checked baggage as a firearm
    Approval required

You must notify us of your intention to carry a firearm and/or ammunition as soon as possible after you have obtained any required permits
    When travelling to the United Kingdom, you must notify us at least two weeks before your date of departure, so we can seek approval to carry your firearm on your behalf
    At the time of booking Air New Zealand must be advised whenever ammunition or firearms are to be carried

For the international traveler going through the UK just remember it's not the airline staff at the check in that you will have trouble with!
    It the baggage security services. If one says no then it is no. You don't get no high up. On top of that every airport is different and every shift as well.
    I've heard of guys coming back from Scotland and finding there guns out on the street with the rest of the over sized luggage

I mean if your AO doesn't even know the laws, rules are you expecting security to.....come they wave a wand for a living