Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Farmer feels isolated from mates after losing firearms licence during depression

yes he can shoot under supervision any where as any other non fal can

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on the young fellah. He has done right things and that should hold him in good stead when he comes out the other side of the health issue. Such circumstances would raise a real conundrum in my household as both my daughter and I are registered as joint owners of the E cat firearms in our safe. So even if old Rushy flipped his lid it could be argued that young Ashleigh is still fit and proper and has the right to retain possession of the firearms she has ownership of. The bloody law fraternity would make a fortune arguing both sides of that coin.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I wonder how many police , detectives suffer from depression/anxiety do they loose there fal if they seek help ?
    ebf and rewa like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good on the young fellah. He has done right things and that should hold him in good stead when he comes out the other side of the health issue. Such circumstances would raise a real conundrum in my household as both my daughter and I are registered as joint owners of the E cat firearms in our safe. So even if old Rushy flipped his lid it could be argued that young Ashleigh is still fit and proper and has the right to retain possession of the firearms she has ownership of. The bloody law fraternity would make a fortune arguing both sides of that coin.
    Not really. They would be forced into looking at whether you could gain access to any firearms on the premises. Your daughter could retain possession, but only in a manner that ensures you cannot gain access. As for objections to that, consider what your partner / wife, and daughter would be like if you did gain access and something happened......To be honest, if they take that into consideration, I think objections would soon be dealt with. I would hope that your daughter would care more about you than the shared contents of your gun cabinet. I would quickly give up mine if any of my family were to be at risk if I thought they could gain access. As much as I love the firearms, my family takes preference, no questions. And I will look after firearms for others in similar positions if asked to.
    Micky Duck, norsk and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    I wonder how many police , detectives suffer from depression/anxiety do they loose there fal if they seek help ?
    My understanding is they dont require one if it is for work related firearm use. If they have a FAL then it would be expected that it is not for work and would be treated in the same way as any other FAL. Perhaps one of our constabulary members here may be able to elaborate....
    upnorth uplander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p.../DLM72679.html

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    I thought with a revoked licence you aren't allowed to use firearms at all, even under supervision? Different to never having one or voluntarily surrendering it. Not sure on the letter of the law for that one though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    So can he or can he not use someone else firearm at say a club under supervision of a fal holder?
    No. Licence revoked means he can't even use an airgun under supervision.

That was one of the main things he was moaning about.

Banned
    No. Can't even touch an airgun now he's had his licence revoked.

not true I lost mine at 18 got it back at 20 I was still allowed to shoot under direct supervision

Gone But Not Forgotten
    not true I lost mine at 18 got it back at 20 I was still allowed to shoot under direct supervision
    As far as understand it and I could well be wrong on this, any firearms licence holder who allows a person who has had their firearms licence revoked to use or have access to a firearm under their supervision can have their own firearms licence revoked.

27 Revocation and surrender of firearms licence

(1) Where, in the opinion of a commissioned officer of Police,—

(b) access to any firearm or airgun in the possession of the person to whom a firearms licence has been issued is reasonably likely to be obtained by any person—

(iii) whose firearms licence has been revoked on the ground that he is not a fit and proper person to be in possession of a firearm or airgun; or

(iv) who, in the opinion of a commissioned officer of Police, is not a fit and proper person to be in possession of a firearm or airgun—

the commissioned officer of Police may, by notice in writing under his hand, revoke the firearms licence, and the person to whom that firearms licence has been issued shall upon demand surrender the licence to a member of the Police.

Yep looks like it..

but frankly its problematic... a revoked licience is in effect the same status as an unlicenced person. We don't tattoo their foreheads. How would you know?

Of course knowingly looks like an issue

Banned
    I'm not a lawyer, but after having a read through the Arms Act, it looks like this bit is the bit to look out for:

49A Unlawful possession of firearm or airgun after revocation of firearms licence

Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 1 year or to a fine not exceeding $4,000 or to both who, being a person whose firearms licence has been revoked, is in possession of a firearm or airgun at a time when that person is not the holder of a firearms licence, and is not a person authorised, expressly or by implication, by or pursuant to this Act, to be in possession of that firearm or airgun.

Notice how it includes airguns.

He should just take the camera and get some moments of his mates on film.
    You dont have to be the one pulling the trigger to be fully involved in the hunt
    veitnamcam, R93, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    He should just take the camera and get some moments of his mates on film.
    You dont have to be the one pulling the trigger to be fully involved in the hunt
    Great post
    Way more to hunting to than just shooting animals

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk