Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Farmer feels isolated from mates after losing firearms licence during depression

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Harakiri aka ritual suicide-an integral teaching of the samurai.it is the exception to this discussion though ive wondered when some one would pipe up with this.
    there is a not so subtle difference here -this was an expectation on defeat not an impulsive action of a person in the thores of fright flight flight we are discussing .
    IMHO harakiri is as relevant as it's ghastly, because it is about shame vs an honourable exit (or at least escaping shame). The farmer going broke, in debt, is defeated, out of options, and if I may say so, deeply ashamed. Shame leads to profound isolation from others. Asians are not the only ones vulnerable to loss of face. I heard someone say once that shame is the most powerful/destructive human emotion. Whether true or not, it's food for thought.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    IMHO harakiri is as relevant as it's ghastly, because it is about shame vs an honourable exit (or at least escaping shame). The farmer going broke, in debt, is defeated, out of options, and if I may say so, deeply ashamed. Shame leads to profound isolation from others. Asians are not the only ones vulnerable to loss of face. I heard someone say once that shame is the most powerful/destructive human emotion. Whether true or not, it's food for thought.
    Its difference lies in the fact it is a condition imposed by a systemic belief/ideology so it is an expectation forced upon a samurai for want of a better term the other POV relates purely to an individual whose perception of being in desperate circumstances(even if not so)sees them suicide to escape that particualr situation.a subtle difference but stilla difference no doubt.
    Micky Duck likes this.

right this is right on the button cause it relates to me personally .Im a nurse a FALholder and i have depression for which im on medication.
    yup now its out there and Im not in the least worried.
    Elrond-
    tell ya mate to get himself to the GP-have a yarn to them get em to write a short statement to the effect that in spite of being depressed ,the patient is still fit to hold an FAL and use firearms.every time Im vetted it comes up and the hardcase vettor says".......... well ?????????
    -"yup your lot are still welcome to read my medical files but dont blame me if some copper falls asleep after reading how many colds ive bloody well had.. etc etc!
    next question when are you treating wife to dinner
    -thats a standing oneliner!!
    take that GP letter to the local AO and quote sec32.2 of police firearms manual which relates specifically to this!
    I am dealing with similar at work and weve got the PFM sec off the police website.
    if youre really a masochist you could download the whole manual of 160pages!!
    Sideshow, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

+1 @kotuku Ive a mate that is in the same situation.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

dont bloody thank me -i should be thankin all the hardcase good bastards on here. more variety than colours in the universe but knowledge-the original jewish gent could get a PhD in .303 ology by just readin the info on here-unsurpassed as a tertiary institution of commonsense