Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

Went into process my renweal today and was told there's at least a 3mth backlog. And it could take as long as 6mths.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I put a polite enquiry into the general police website today to ask what was happening after submitting my application for as a first time applicant on March 10th. I accepted the deferment, I just wanted to know when it was deferred till. This thread is officially depressing.

Had an interview for an endorsement at the weekend, must be starting up the process up again.
    CamD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Went into process my renweal today and was told there's at least a 3mth backlog. And it could take as long as 6mths.
    Yes.
    I asked my FAO today, she said there is a very large backlog of work to process.
    I submitted my application last August. I'll miss the duck season.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrySu View Post
    Yes.
    I asked my FAO today, she said there is a very large backlog of work to process.
    I submitted my application last August. I'll miss the duck season.
    A standard renewal shouldn't take that long, 9 months is ridiculous and your still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    A standard renewal shouldn't take that long, 9 months is ridiculous and your still waiting
    This is my first application.
    All interviews have been completed in January this year.
    CamD likes this.

Fire arms licence arrived today after a 7 month wait. Super stoked its finally arrived.
    Went out with my brother in law and shot alot ducks tonight between the three of us.
    I am a happy chappy tonight !
    MB, ROKTOY and CamD like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by LarrySu View Post
    This is my first application.
    All interviews have been completed in January this year.
    Have you emailed your AO off the police website. I emailed them and then the next day it arrived (must of already been in the post ) , Look on the police website if you are unsure of the person in charge of your district.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by CamD View Post
    I put a polite enquiry into the general police website today to ask what was happening after submitting my application for as a first time applicant on March 10th. I accepted the deferment, I just wanted to know when it was deferred till. This thread is officially depressing.
    update- after the admin person had forwarded to the local arms clerk this is the reply:

"Thank you for your query.
    Unfortunately we have a vast backlog of licensing files to complete due to the lockdown. Police National Headquarters have advised that new applications are still not to be processed until the backlog is cleared. We are unable to give you a time frame of this at present.
    Please refer to the news and updates on the Police website: https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-services/firearms-and-safety/news-and-updates"

so yeah. Not holding my breath on it being any time even vaguely soon.

Well thank f@#k mine doesn't expire until 2023 and they have hopefully caught up by then.

Quote Originally Posted by CamD View Post
    update- after the admin person had forwarded to the local arms clerk this is the reply:

"Thank you for your query.
    Unfortunately we have a vast backlog of licensing files to complete due to the lockdown. Police National Headquarters have advised that new applications are still not to be processed until the backlog is cleared. We are unable to give you a time frame of this at present.
    Please refer to the news and updates on the Police website: https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-services/firearms-and-safety/news-and-updates"

so yeah. Not holding my breath on it being any time even vaguely soon.
    You can follow this website : www.firearmsafety.org.nz, if you want to know when to start processing new applications.

I cant believe you have waited to now. Why did it take so long to get your interviews done? so you put in your application in october november? i would be going to your local mp and asking why?

More reason to remove Police from the adminstration of the FAL system.
    They're dragging their feet to try and make a point. What other licence system is so slow and poorly run?
    So easiest way to solve the issue is remove them from the system.
    Police are there to uphold the laws, not make them or administer any regulatory system
    mikee and CamD like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    More reason to remove Police from the adminstration of the FAL system.
    They're dragging their feet to try and make a point. What other licence system is so slow and poorly run?
    So easiest way to solve the issue is remove them from the system.
    Police are there to uphold the laws, not make them or administer any regulatory system
    I think by and large that those responsible for the licensing system are doing the best they can with the limited resources available to them. There's a lot more to issuing a firearms licence than a driver's licence or passport. Referee face to face interviews, security check, travel costs etc. If you change your address then someone is sent out to check your security at no charge to the licence holder. Someone has to be paid for doing that plus vehicle running costs and administration costs.

If the licence fee was to be doubled, as an example, then no doubt more people could be employed to help speed up the process. At present, $126.50 for a ten year standard A- cat licence is pretty damn cheap at $12.65 a year or under .25c per week.
    Allizdog and CamD like this.

I just had a call from one of my referees (for renewal)... The FAO did a phone interview with her back in late January and today have repeated the interview face to face. Same questions, same answers. The assessor said it was something to do with new regs; and was very pissed off. I'd say it was because it had been a phone rather than personal interview. Weird thing is that they did a personal interview for my next of kin in Wellington and a phone interview for the local one!