Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: The great petrol vs diesel debate

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    One trick with the hi ace that I have seen is putting in a set of manual front hubs, sure the cv's are still spinning but it uses a bit less fuel. Probably not worth doing unless your holding onto the vehicle for a few years
    Cvs shouldnt be spinning if manual hub/part time 4wd.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    What's everyone's rego? My cruiser is like 230 a year, only 80 bucks more than the 'rolla
    Just done ours.

Suzuki swift 12 months $101.62
    Rav4 12 months $152.05

Hilux back when I had it was just shy of 600 bucks and when I changed to the landcruiser it dropped to just over 400 bucks, i believe they have all come down since then tho and now it is relevant to the vehicles safety rating ?

Terrano 3.2td rego is $201 PA, petrol V6 one is $120.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Just done ours.

Suzuki swift 12 months $101.62
    Rav4 12 months $152.05

Hilux back when I had it was just shy of 600 bucks and when I changed to the landcruiser it dropped to just over 400 bucks, i believe they have all come down since then tho and now it is relevant to the vehicles safety rating ?
    91 Hilux. $186. Much better than the 600 they were hitting us with
    I think 08 Triton was the same
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Cvs shouldnt be spinning if manual hub/part time 4wd.
    AWD so the CV's will still be spinning. Was advised not to put on free wheeling hubs as it can bugger up the transfer system.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    AWD so the CV's will still be spinning. Was advised not to put on free wheeling hubs as it can bugger up the transfer system.
    Yep it will if awd. Only way to do it is drive with center diff locked but then you gain nothing.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Spudattack likes this.

I am biased towards diesels, I own three vehicles and they are all diesel, even my little run about hatch back.
    I love the torque and the power you get from a turbo diesel, I drove a 1.3 petrol Toyota hatch back for a few weeks and it used more fuel and had half the power of my diesel (with is a lot older).

I think the playing field has levelled out a lot, once upon a time the petrol options in a ute or 4x4 were so thirsty, diesel was the far better option.
    A friend has had a few late model AWD soft roaders for work vehicles, 2 diesels and one V6 petrol. As a sales rep he did a lot of driving, but carrying little to no load. He said the diesels were marginally better on fuel, but the V6 petrol had a lot more horsepower and was quiter.
    The big difference was when towing his boat, the torque of the diesel was a lot better for towing, and whilst the fuel consumption increased a bit, the V6 almost doubled the fuel useage.

I think you beed to asses each vehicle individually, there is no rule in which one is better. If I were in the market for a new 4x4 or ute, I'd got for a diesel as I tend to do a lot of towing, like a torquey engine and just love the rattle of a diesel.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I am biased towards diesels, I own three vehicles and they are all diesel, even my little run about hatch back.
    I love the torque and the power you get from a turbo diesel, I drove a 1.3 petrol Toyota hatch back for a few weeks and it used more fuel and had half the power of my diesel (with is a lot older).

I think the playing field has levelled out a lot, once upon a time the petrol options in a ute or 4x4 were so thirsty, diesel was the far better option.
    A friend has had a few late model AWD soft roaders for work vehicles, 2 diesels and one V6 petrol. As a sales rep he did a lot of driving, but carrying little to no load. He said the diesels were marginally better on fuel, but the V6 petrol had a lot more horsepower and was quiter.
    The big difference was when towing his boat, the torque of the diesel was a lot better for towing, and whilst the fuel consumption increased a bit, the V6 almost doubled the fuel useage.

I think you beed to asses each vehicle individually, there is no rule in which one is better. If I were in the market for a new 4x4 or ute, I'd got for a diesel as I tend to do a lot of towing, like a torquey engine and just love the rattle of a diesel.
    That is pretty much why I'm still driving diesel. Economy wise there is nothing in it, but towing and off road the torque wins every time.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Pulled the trigger on a hiace supercustom, 1995 with the 1kz couldn't find the newer model with decent seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a hiace supercustom, 1995 with the 1kz couldn't find the newer model with decent seats

Snap, same year and all. Was older than we wanted too but honestly preferred it. The suspension in the supercustom is damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Snap, same year and all. Was older than we wanted too but honestly preferred it. The suspension in the supercustom is damned good.
    Yep I missed out on the one you suggested by 30mins so found one in chch with 130000kms pick it up tomo

Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

In my experience the difference between diesel and petrol servicing costs and be a material factor. If you were buying a new ute, say, then the deal Mazda offer of a capped $200 (incl GST) for routine servicing for the warranty period makes those vehicles hard to go past......

I reckon with the money saved on diesel vs petrol and better economy, you can probably afford to rebuild your diesel engine about every 100,000km with the savings over a petrol.

Based on $1.02 per litre for diesel and $1.90 for 91.

diesel = 12L/100km+RUC = $18.24

petrol = 15L/100km = $28.50

5000km = $912 for a diesel, $1425 for a petrol.

100,000km with a diesel = $18240 in fuel/RUC, 1500 in servicing (20 filters and oils) = total cost of $19740

100,000km with a petrol = $28500 in fuel, 750 in servicing = total cost of $29250

I get around 11 or 12L per 100km with my 1985 BJ73 for a mix of town/highway use.

15L per 100 is estimated very conservatively for a petrol truck (because I don't have one) but a quick google tells me people with FZJ80s are getting like 18-23L per 100km. My 1.6L petrol Daihatsu Rocky ran at around 15L per 100, on 96, which was painfully expensive on a road trip. I took it from Invercargill to Cape Reinga and back once and ouch.

Far as I can tell most other stuff (parts) costs the same. When something goes wrong on the diesel, it goes more expensively wrong, but there's also less to break.
    john m, Maca49 and 223nut like this.

I chose to buy a 2006 Petrol Prado, 4.0L 5speed auto over a 2004 in Diesel, similar ks on the odo.
    The reasons - the 1KD engine is a dog. $450 for seats and seals service every 45,000kms would be every 18mths to me.
    diesel - Higher service cost with more oil and more expensive filter. More frequent - every 10,000kms. RUCs, and higher Rego. 12L/100km.
    2004 - 4spd box. 173PS, 410Nm.

Petrol - 15,000 km service interval. Half the service price. No RUCs. Half the Rego cost. Economy 15L/100kms.
    2006 - 5 spd box 240PS, 377Nm.

My daily commute is 48kms round trip. If I don't go on hunting trips, my weekly fuel bill is no more than my diesel surf was, about $75.
    However, when towing, it really sucks. The diesel would have been much better for economy.

But the power at the lights, acceleration is brilliant, and wow betide the rice burner who comes up behind me and thinks I should get out of his way....of course my Visa regrets it later.
    That VVTi really sings at 4000rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    A Toyota diesel - the modern ones anyway - are one of the exceptions to the rule that diesels are cheaper.

At one of my past jobs the hiluxs of the day spent more time in the shop getting the engines rebuilt under warranty than on the road. Ended up driving Couriers at much better opex and shitcanning the hiluxes. I've never looked back to be fair. The Toyota dealer's attitude was fuck**g crap, but like the local Ford outfit now to be fair (got too much market share and don't care if they piss you off).

What we are needing, is a decent tough driveline in a ute, mated to decent load carrying suspension that is tuned to give an acceptable ride along with a good powerful engine and body/chassis/internal plastic bits that don't easily fu*k out. The PX Ranger is wayyyyy to plasticy and bits are starting to die on mine. Also the electronics actuators and ECU systems are a joke, just had to take it back to the dealer to get the reversing sensors reprogrammed after they stopped working (apparently due to going out of calibration) - that required an hour of tech time and approx $110 to recalibrate the ECU to allow the parking sensors to work again.

That shit should not happen on a commercial vehicle - what does not help is turning up to the dealer and looking down the row of the service desks and counting 15+ people of which only about 6 are appearing to be actively doing something productive. I suspect I will be going to a new service outfit very shortly, I have one lined up who is better in every respect apart from the coffee served. And at half the price!!!

I hear ya. I have 2 diesel Vehicles a 93 Pajero SWB and a 2009 BT50. The pajero has done 240K , never been babied and drowned twice, and apart from a wee gearbox repair and servicing costs me nothing but RUC and diesel and always starts / runs the other "thing" cost 36,000 second hand and has done 117K and cost in repairs so far is $11,000. Now we purchased a 3 year warranty when we brought it and another when the original warrenty expired so this cost has been met by them. The ironic thing is this was the most I have ever spent on a vehicle, the most we have ever spent on preventative maintenance and the lowest KM vehicle I have ever brought but over the 4 years we owned it would have crippled us if not for the warrenty (and thats another story)

Now I reckon it would not matter weather it was a Mazda, Toyota , Nissan or ............................................ we would have same issues. One of my mates upgrades just before the warrenty expires on his new ones as he reckons he could not afford to fix one out of warrenty with even a simple "few thousand dollar" repair
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.