Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: Poaching, let's get this straight

Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    Whats so technical about it, if your knowingly on private property with a firearm an without permission, regardless of how close to doc land you are, your pushing the boundary of being "fit and proper".

The only excuse in my opinion would be pursuing a wounded animal.
    A place I've been going into lately has areas where lots of people hunt but isn't technically legal in some places. The track goes in and out of doc and private but everyone still hunts the whole area because it's not exactly easy to tell where the boundaries are, way too much of a jungle in there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    And witness a lack of communication skills... perhaps you should try and read it again and this time try to understand it

I was a farmer... it was a tongue in cheek remark almost self mocking.. and only seeking to point out the need to manage those situations carefully..

The first statement is observational, and would be an accurate reflection of many landowners opinions... Again having been a farmer I have seen and watched the access issues for years..

If you don't understand clarification is the first step......
    Too true Sidney.
    The whole "poaching" debate always turns into a debate from those of us who would generally deem scoring a wild venison without being caught on the wrong side of the fence as a little win for the hunter/gatherer vs the landowner mentality that views everything as theirs, including the public roads that run through their estates. I'm a "townie" to all you cockies out there. We work real hard for our kills. I know the odd farmer who's ok with a hunt on their place. The majority (family members included) will fob me and many hunters I know off. If you move in their circles and political sphere (National supporters) then that's a different story . . . .lol. It's not because we are untrustworthy etc that they fob us off, it's because they are greedy, red necks that want any resource they can possibly command to use to their advantage. Also, we're those working class boys from the town who need to be kept an eye on . . . .lest they forget who the master is . . .lol

Hahahaha . . . . I'm just kidding with ya . . . you know I love you rural types. . . . you're the backbone of the country!

Before you illiterate, myopic red necks get on my thoughts - I don't like dudes who disrespect other people livestock, equipment etc.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

And the bits that are not in private ownership are owned by HM QE2 and chums.

That would be apart from the millions of acres of public land would it.
    EeeBees likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Dead right. In fact the QE2 thing appears to be a nice little way for some farmers to get others paying for fences, poison etc on their property while still having free reign over the so-called protected area.

Hell, I know two farmers who use the QE2 blocks as their own little hunting reserves. One has a deer farm near by a lets his so-called escapees breed up there so his "boys" can get so easy hunting in. What a joke.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Dead right. In fact the QE2 thing appears to be a nice little way for some farmers to get others paying for fences, poison etc on their property while still having free reign over the so-called protected area.

Hell, I know two farmers who use the QE2 blocks as their own little hunting reserves. One has a deer farm near by a lets his so-called escapees breed up there so his "boys" can get some easy hunting in. What a joke.

The fact that they put a covenant on the land doesnt mean they no longer own it, so I guess they can do what they want within the terms of the covenant. Kind of tough if you dont like that
    EeeBees likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    The fact that they put a covenant on the land doesn't mean they no longer own it, so I guess they can do what they want within the terms of the covenant. Kind of tough if you dont like that
    My point, if you can't decipher it, is that they obviously still have authority over it whilst using other peoples money to look after it whilst using it as "they" see fit. Not all farmers will do this, "as they see fit" (read abuse). My point is about hypocrisy and double dipping. Their high moral ground is a farce at times. I was born in a poor man's bed and such is my lot. Many farmers are born in a bed that bestows heredity "rights". Or if you work real hard (no guarantee), kiss the right arse or marry the right person then you might get a piece of that action too.

Ejected
    I did Pengy. I don't think you did though.
    He didn't have express permission this time.... Without that you can get nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I did Pengy. I don't think you did though.
    He didn't have express permission this time.... Without that you can get nailed.
    Pretty sure he says he was on his own land
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by The Rifleman View Post
    My point, if you can't decipher it, is that they obviously still have authority over it whilst using other peoples money to look after it whilst using it as "they" see fit. Not all farmers will do this, "as they see fit" (read abuse). My point is about hypocrisy and double dipping. Their high moral ground is a farce at times. I was born in a poor man's bed and such is my lot. Many farmers are born in a bed that bestows heredity "rights". Or if you work real hard (no guarantee), kiss the right arse or marry the right person then you might get a piece of that action too.
    Do you want a big mac to go with that chip on your shoulder
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Do you want a big mac to go with that chip on your shoulder
    Pengy, settle down. If you've run out of things to say then stop talking. Don't resort trying to say I've got a chip when I have the balls to speak a few home truths. Pathetic. Put that spade down cause the hole you're in is just getting deeper . . . . . lol

Flirting with forum and general moral ethics as usual. Poor drills there. Could really spare the personal comments IMHO.
    Shame about one that go away @Dundee !!

I get a bit tired of the country vs townie argument. I think it's irrelevant. As Gadgetman alluded to, it's about respect for your neighbour/landowner/fellow NZer and working in/communicating with them. Regardless of whether we think cockies are on their moral high horses or not - they pull rank on their land and that's absolutely black and white to me. . No point having a go at them - how about you make an effort, build a relationship and be a solution tot he problem which is, essentially, lack of communication and fostering a relationship?
    In regards to genuinely not knowing where DOC/Private boundaries are; and adding to the in depth comments already made, the courts will show some (minimal) discretion if you get sprung and there's no fence etc but that's purely legal and will be weighed and judged case by case. I think it comes down to ethics. If you're potentially going to be crossing, bordering or hunting in close proximity to a farm - go and see the bloody farmer and have a yarn. If you're not sure, don't shoot!? Easier said than done at times I know (first hand). Draw your line before you get in the heat of the moment. Or do what I do and hunt way the fckuck away from anyone's farm so as never to be tempted.

But seriously, ethics and morals need to rule here as that is the real law out in gods own when we're away from suburbia.

Shit I need a scotch now.
    Dundee, 308 and big_foot like this.

One that got away* - edit post isn't working admins.