Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: Poaching, let's get this straight

I am pretty sure that scenario applies to the second case that i quoted EB.
    As I am currently working for a member of the family in question, I shall try to find out
    EeeBees likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    It's only trespassing when you've had notice served. And that can't be done the first time you are caught.
    Nope. Trespass notification only works if no firearm carried e.g an angler or tramper. If you're carrying a firearm on private land without permission its immediate trespass.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You are not entirely right.
    There are various schemes such as QE2 and Clean Streams. They pay a percentage of the fencing costs. Not sure what percent QE2 pays but Environment Waikato pays 30% in my area. I think areas under QE2 are exempt from rates. Don't go thinking that you get your fencing paid for and then you can use the area as another paddock because you can't. These areas are usually monitored. There are plenty of QE2 blocks with deer and pigs in them. Everyone will probably be able to tell a story about someone who isn't playing by the rules. But that happens in every walk of life. If you are not happy about it, don't wine to us about it, wine to someone who will make a difference.
    I resent the comments about farmers standing on moral high ground and treating everything as theirs etc.
    Well it might just be that everything they have is theirs.
    I went through a stage in life where I didn't have a life. I had work and a huge debt. Shearing on the fine days. Traveling away, sometimes an hour or more, shearing all day, returning home to run my farm after work. Wet days were spent fencing for other farmers in the area. Days off were quite rare. Hunting took a distant back seat. Pig dogs got given away. Kids had to be content with mum being the only one at school events, weekend sports etc.
    Our "townie" (not intended to be an offensive title") friends with their 9 to 5 jobs thought I was a sour prick because I wouldn't go out partying with them, or when I did I would go home by 9 oclock because I was falling asleep.
    I have game on my farm which has arrived there by its own accord. And I feel that while they are on my property I have more right to to them than anyone else.
    Can you imagine what it would be like to arrive home from a day busting your arse shearing, to find some bludger (often on the dole, or to sick to work so is on ACC) has been in and whipped a deer out while you were away?
    A lot of hunters are very short sighted. They don't see that deer on a private block keep deer in the area. (A bit like marine reserves. A lot of fishermen don't like reserves set up in their area, but they like catching the fish that spill out of them). They only think about them getting a deer today. I was exactly the same once.
    I don't generally allow others to hunt here simply because we hunt ourselves. My kids are old enough to hunt now so why give away their hunting. If people don't like hearing no for an answer then to bad.
    A bit of advice if you are going door knocking. Present yourself well. Tidy hair, decent clothes, clean speech dont drop F's and C's. Don't woffle on about how shit hot you are at hunting. And if you have bloodshot eyes and stink of dope, don't even bother.
    And taking a really hot mrs with you might help.
    You make some good points there 7mmwsm. I can totally appreciate your views and experience. And I know too well from friends who farm that in many instances the amount of feral deer on their property would not sustain regular hunting (notwithstanding their right to harvest that venison themselves). I also appreciate your point about the flow on affect of looking after the feral numbers in the sense that this may contribute to deer numbers permeating public land.

But in my experience (and I'm a hard-working carpenter, that doesn't do dope or is some kind of waster, and has a pretty tidy Mrs . . . .lol) a man can only take so many fob offs and rejections before he says "fuck it". I also sucks when you know some of those you have approached in a very respectful manner have mobs and mobs of deer out the back.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Nope. Trespass notification only works if no firearm carried e.g an angler or tramper. If you're carrying a firearm on private land without permission its immediate trespass.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    A trespass order/notice can be issued at the landowner/managers discretion if someone has trespassed. A "breach of trespass" is the where the bite comes in, and that can obviously only occur the second time but carries a much heavier penalty.

Sent from my Browning

Cant be the same Wirehunt I know, chasing poachers off the property we were working.. at every opportunity.. Must have been protecting his patch or maybe he has multiple personalities.

Maybe another HB case of poaching by hunting guides employee with client but despite camo gear the hunter had a vid with him. Smile for the birdie. Pete Gimblett may have another easy case this time.LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Cant be the same Wirehunt I know, chasing poachers off the property we were working.. at every opportunity.. Must have been protecting his patch or maybe he has multiple personalities.
    Can't be the same Wirehunt that I know because there isn't enough alcohol to support two of them
    Dundee likes this.

At the end of the day, if its not your land and you don't have permission, then it is poaching.

It doesn't matter who owns that land, I'm sure you wouldn't like someone in your yard with a firearm without permission.

It is frustrating that there is limited land to hunt on. but it is, what it is.

The owners of large lots of land pay rates and most of the time have a big mortgage to pay.

Poachers that take more fish than they are allowed or trespass on others property are just a waste of time.

Proven poachers, should have there firearms licence taken away and guns confiscated.

Or ideally, their nuts removed so they don't breed….

1.i think the technical term is "enclosure". on private property-
    2. not every "high fence" is deemed domestic area. a deer behind any fence that does not have a completed enclosure is not guaranteed to belong to anyone unless its tagged and i.d. if not tagged and outside of an "enclosed area" its fair game within the safety parameters of shooting.
    3.just becos sheep or cattle stray along the road, doesn't mean they become fair game. they still belong to someone where they have a id tag.
    4 Thats a moot point anyway. Shooting is not permitted along any roadway. or within certain distance of roadways.
    5. So WH is essentially right.

A lot of sensitive people on here
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Lost an animal tonight Was hunting on my land. The bugger went over the fence or under

Anyway too keep things legal rifle was left on my side of the fence while I looked for it as I have a knife. I'm still pissed off but lost the trail of blood. Searched on the other side for an hour,now I'm a fukn poacherAttachment 23061Attachment 23062Attachment 23063
    You mean the poacher got away
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

I like poaching!
    Much prefer it to frying my eggs or hard boiling them, just that little bit more classy.

Cheers everyone and what a veritable bundle of laughter times.
    screamO likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

I just spent 1/2 hr reading back through all this I still can't work out if I'm aloud to poach or not (just kidding)!!!
    I had read a article awhile back in the farming mag from someone at WAMS saying "lets get it straight its not poaching it's trespassing" (I've been trying to find the article I think I've posted it before).
    While I would / will not tolerate people on my property there are a few property owners around this area who think they own everything and are making a song and dance about it all with no right! and to the stage where they are becoming the criminal. I hate to say it but I feel like just going there to antagonise them. Before all the ante comes out this is a area open to the public!
    Is there a difference between poaching and illegal hunting? yea, to me poaching is stealing other peoples stock! to me there is a big difference.
    While there are websites out like WAMS I think the average hunter is now more informed and can back up there reason's for being in the area regardless of what the farmer thinks!
    Not sure what I'm trying to say but I'm sure people know when they are breaking the law and I'm sure there are the others that are just pushing it to the limits, mean while I think there are some landowners out there on marginal ground that just whish no body was there.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    I just spent 1/2 hr reading back through all this I still can't work out if I'm aloud to poach or not (just kidding)!!!
    I had read a article awhile back in the farming mag from someone at WAMS saying "lets get it straight its not poaching it's trespassing" (I've been trying to find the article I think I've posted it before).
    While I would / will not tolerate people on my property there are a few property owners around this area who think they own everything and are making a song and dance about it all with no right! and to the stage where they are becoming the criminal. I hate to say it but I feel like just going there to antagonise them. Before all the ante comes out this is a area open to the public!
    Is there a difference between poaching and illegal hunting? yea, to me poaching is stealing other peoples stock! to me there is a big difference.
    While there are websites out like WAMS I think the average hunter is now more informed and can back up there reason's for being in the area regardless of what the farmer thinks!
    Not sure what I'm trying to say but I'm sure people know when they are breaking the law and I'm sure there are the others that are just pushing it to the limits, mean while I think there are some landowners out there on marginal ground that just whish no body was there.
    +1 there's also some dumb fuck hunters out there......
    Mrs is on Facebook I'm not about to months ago she's like hey come look at this, low and behold some champ had shot a stag on the farm, and posted the pic up with a a very clear shot of the surrounding area

R93
    Seen similar just recently. Some champ shot a promising fallow buck where I got mine and posted photos.
    We have photos of the deer when it was alive and it was left alone because it had a year to go and had certain tines broken off the palms.
    He is or already has gotten a visit from an angry land owner. 😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    BRADS and JRW87 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.