Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Rookie mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Don't sit on the old metal rubbish bins in the huts in your underpants. The cracks in the top can snap shut on one of your knackers when you try to stand up.
    Hey Scribe that brings back an eye watering memory of the same result on a cracked plastic toilet seat......ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... .'get it off.....get it off'..........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I wear 2 pairs of socks. An inner thin merino sock and an outer thicker possum/wool sock.
    Keeps the inner pair dry and don't get blisters or sore feet any more.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hey Scribe that brings back an eye watering memory of the same result on a cracked plastic toilet seat......ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... .'get it off.....get it off'..........
    Two possum Trappers met on day up on a ridge and sat down for a yarn.

First Trapper. 'I sat on a possum trap I set on a log the other day and it caught me by the knackers. Ghastly experience, second worst pain I ever experienced in me life"

Second Trapper. "That's pretty bad mate but surely this was the worst pain you ever experienced in your life".

First Trapper. "Nah, That came when I got to the end of the chain".
    veitnamcam, mikee, Toby and 2 others like this.

Aly
    Wow I'm so glad I can't relate to this haha
    veitnamcam, GravelBen and Nibblet like this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by aharvnz View Post
    I wear 2 pairs of socks. An inner thin merino sock and an outer thicker possum/wool sock.
    Keeps the inner pair dry and don't get blisters or sore feet any more.
    Yeah I don't think you can ever go wrong with extra socks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Its a rookie manouvre you wont need to be concerned with ha ha

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Man Rookie get such a fright when trap grab him he tow log down to road and his mother get it for firewood.

I made a rookie mistake along time ago when I started trapping possums. The area I was trapping was real steep and it was thick bush on the bank of a river. To steep and thick to carry a rifle. While setting traps it required one hand to hold on to the bush while other hand nailed traps to trees,it was quite an art to nail traps to the trees with one hand without falling into the river.

When checking traps it required more skill. Hang on to tree with one hand,club possum with hammer and put foot on bag while having possum on uphill side of foot while I plucked the fur off.

You are probably thinking well what was the mistake I made?

One possum was clubbed released from trap,plucked on uphill side of foot while I was swinging off a tree and the bugger came too as I had just plucked all its fur off. This naked possum took off into the thick bush with a hell of a headache and no fur coat.
    308 and Scouser like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I made a rookie mistake along time ago when I started trapping possums. The area I was trapping was real steep and it was thick bush on the bank of a river. To steep and thick to carry a rifle. While setting traps it required one hand to hold on to the bush while other hand nailed traps to trees,it was quite an art to nail traps to the trees with one hand without falling into the river.

When checking traps it required more skill. Hang on to tree with one hand,club possum with hammer and put foot on bag while having possum on uphill side of foot while I plucked the fur off.

You are probably thinking well what was the mistake I made?

One possum was clubbed released from trap,plucked on uphill side of foot while I was swinging off a tree and the bugger came too as I had just plucked all its fur off. This naked possum took off into the thick bush with a hell of a headache and no fur coat.
    No wonder the Anti 1080 brigade get accused of farming possums.

going duckshooting in cheap shitty chinese vinyl waders. setting decoys and getting the cold damp feeling crawling slowly upwards. look up to see a grinning GSP followerand another mate pointing at a rapidly splitting shitty seam. boy was it bloody cold and did the wedding tackle suffer -did it hell. even though i invested in a better quality full boot wader those plastic bastards aer colder than an embalmers handshake even in summer ,so ive had for kast 2yrs good neproene waders.
    Ps A good long warm fart is a welcome method of warming tackle on the freezing mornings. if its got a liquid overtone you may well be in a spot of strife.
    secondly check your duck calls are tight.Ive lost two that came apart (one found thank christ)and had a brand new one slip out of its tether into the shitty water of ellesmere-at $50.00 a pop roughly it gets expensive.
    Dundee and Toby like this.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!