Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Rookie mistakes!

Ejected
    I like the taste of alcohol

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I like the taste of alcohol
    Oh you'll fit right in, in Nelson haha

Ejected
    Mint. See if I can pick up some more weird hitchhikers like last time.

yep smugglers and the honest lawyer are good.

The clubs in town are pretty Shit and you have a good chance of being kicked to death by 20 kids or stabbed.

I can't think of/wouldn't read a book dedicated to wind movement,even the forecasters can't get it right
    Just use ya brain as long as your are thinking about the wind your on the right track.
    In the absence of any prevailing wind air will move up faces and gullys once the sun hits them and down shortly after its gone.
    In a prevailing wind air moves over ground features much like water over a rock.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If a river or streams dirty and you can hear boulders moving stay put. I speak from experience. Drowning in the backcountry would be one of our biggest killers.

Oh and don't skimp on boots. When your four days walk from a road end your feet are the most valuable asset you have

If in doubt don't pull the trigger

That's all
    ebf and Chef76 like this.

ebf
    Um rookie stuff....

Learn how to pack a rucksack correctly
    Learn how to navigate without relying on GPS
    Look after your feet - spare dry socks
    Always take a hat and beanie
    Learn how to start a fire using several techniques
    Watch the wind and move slower
    Get off the tracks
    Do a river safety course
    mikee likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

My first rookie mistake, there were many but this one pissed me off....always be ready for a shot......left the campground with an unloaded rifle, no bolt in the rifle, as 'there'll be no deer near a noisy, smelly campground right'

less than two minutes later, on my way to the 'hunting ground' i spooked a Sika hind who stood up barked and just stood staring at me for about 5-6 seconds before hitting 'warp factor 10'......

if only i had a round up the spout and my bolt half cocked.....!
    sako75 and Aly like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    All ways take your time when going for the shot. This is after you have properly ID the target. You can waste a lot of time looking for wounded deer, when an extra 30 seconds a better shot opportunity may present itself. Way to many deer get lost and die slow deaths because of this. Also when I shoot I want the deer dead and to drop so I don't have to carry it so far.
    mikee likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

If you end up getting more than one rifle, make sure you take the correct bolt for whichever rifle you take and even then, don't leave the bolt on the front eat of the truck
    hunter308, GravelBen, Toby and 2 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Make sure if you have a detachable magazine that the bloody thing is in the gunbag before buggering off made that mistake once and lucky I was only going to the rifle range to sight the rifle in and could get away with single feeding each round
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Store your rifles with the bolt and magazine in them - never leave a bolt at home again.
    veitnamcam, Toby, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Forgot the mag for my Sako 75 on a 1 week roar trip - shot 1 stag
    Taken the wrong bolt for my 6.5x55 an a Woodhill ballot - nothing shot
    Left the mag behind for my 10/22 on a rabbit shoot - still got a few

If stopping to rest the legs before a bit, make sure all the zips etc on your pack or bum bag are done up. Lost a GPS

After a rookie trip, write a list of what worked well, what was a waste of money and what you wish you had taken. Do this while unpacking and still fresh in your mind
    Aly likes this.

If hunting the tops, buy a decent bloody sleeping bag - ONE snowy night spent on the top of Urchin in a chit warehouse sleeping bag is something I never want to repeat

Money should be spent in this order: GOOD boots, good clothing, good sleeping bag, tent >>>>>> Gun

Don't park your Hilux in front of the forestry gates.
    Scouser and Aly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    If hunting the tops, buy a decent bloody sleeping bag - ONE snowy night spent on the top of Urchin in a chit warehouse sleeping bag is something I never want to repeat

Money should be spent in this order: GOOD boots, good clothing, good sleeping bag, tent >>>>>> Gun

Don't park your Hilux in front of the forestry gates.
    Yup been caught out by the sleeping bag thing bought one off trademe for $40 it was too skinny for me and the zip burst open during the night while at the oamaru hut, before that I had a great outdoors sleeping bag last used that when I went camping up clements with dogmatix the ground was frozen and I froze my arse off for two nights. With that lesson learned I now own a kiwi camping glacier sleeping bag and it kept me warm and dry when I did that trip to clements the other weekend and woke up to find water on my sleeping bag after moisture came through the tent when it fell down on top of me (thanks to a very rude jap walking around the campsite during the night)
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Some great tips/advice/tales of woe so far, great thread Aly....go girl.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!