Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Rookie mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Good advice, just look at that farmer in waikato the other day, add plb to that. Mine lives on my belt.
    A PLB would not of been of use as he was not injured or disabled. What he needed was a compass or a means of navigation...he did not know of the twig on the thumb...he does now.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Dont bother packing half a dozen beers to enjoy after your long tramp in, Amazing the amount of weight they add. Then you have to carry your rubbish out too (only cans)

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 7/08 View Post
    Dont bother packing half a dozen beers to enjoy after your long tramp in, Amazing the amount of weight they add. Then you have to carry your rubbish out too (only cans)
    Stash a couple at a time on the way in so you have an enjoyable walk out.
    Aly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 7/08 View Post
    Thats what Whiskey & wine are for, higher alcohol content per weight ratio........both in plastic containers......easy peassssyy, lemooon sqeeeezy....hic

CAUTION: DONT USE FIREARMS AND ALCOHOL TOGETHER.....DRINK RESPONSIBLY....like me!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Too bad Whisky taste like shit
    madmaori likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Wrong hole
    ARdave likes this.

coming from someone who drinks Steinlager
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Arrrr.....the innocence of youth.....i started on the 'water of life' in my forties Toby, i was a vodka man before then.....thankfully 'someone' got (another lost weekend) me onto 12 year old single malt, haven't looked back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep drinking it till it doesnt taste like shit.....sorted
    Pengy likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post

Don't park your Hilux in front of the forestry gates.
    @Pointer

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Forgot the mag for my Sako 75 on a 1 week roar trip - shot 1 stag
    Taken the wrong bolt for my 6.5x55 an a Woodhill ballot - nothing shot
    Left the mag behind for my 10/22 on a rabbit shoot - still got a few

If stopping to rest the legs before a bit, make sure all the zips etc on your pack or bum bag are done up. Lost a GPS

After a rookie trip, write a list of what worked well, what was a waste of money and what you wish you had taken. Do this while unpacking and still fresh in your mind
    Good tips cheers sako

Don't forget to take arsewipe...

Gear checklist is a good idea.

Baby wipes are a good way to keep clean and fresh on longer hunting trips where water is scarce.

Leave a map at home with the missus/mate marked with where you are leaving the vehicle, where you will be staying/camping and your general hunting area will be. Good back-up to having a PLB.

Water bladders with drink bottle lids are great for hunting: don't slosh around when half full and roll up to nothing when empty.

Always take a raincoat, even if the forecast shows clear skies.

Good boots are worth their weight in gold. Can't hunt with f_cked feet.

Deer will pop up where you least expect them, so keep your rifle within arms reach at all times.

Most importantly, ear plugs are a necessity when staying at a hut or sharing a tent with a mate, because every f_cker snores in the bush!
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Yup been caught out by the sleeping bag thing bought one off trademe for $40 it was too skinny for me and the zip burst open during the night while at the oamaru hut, before that I had a great outdoors sleeping bag last used that when I went camping up clements with dogmatix the ground was frozen and I froze my arse off for two nights. With that lesson learned I now own a kiwi camping glacier sleeping bag and it kept me warm and dry when I did that trip to clements the other weekend and woke up to find water on my sleeping bag after moisture came through the tent when it fell down on top of me (thanks to a very rude jap walking around the campsite during the night)
    Hmm I've even been caught out with a crappy sleeping bag, just staying the night in a woolshed for an orienteering event! Another thing is that if you have a half-decent sleeping bag that works well for summer through to the beginning of winter, investing in a sleeping bag liner is a brilliant idea to make it last better in huts and that in winter, until you get up to the point where you need a better one to withstand temperatures down to -20/-30 degrees etc.... a good $80+ liner, none of those cheap as ones designed for backpacking/staying in hostels! Not quite the price of a truly decent sleeping bag but until you save $600+ for a bag, a liner is a great investment
    When caught out and really desperate, wrapping a survival blanket on the outside of the bag = keeps out wind chill/drafts/dew.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Not quite the price of a truly decent sleeping bag but until you save $600+ for a bag, a liner is a great investment
    When caught out and really desperate, wrapping a survival blanket on the outside of the bag = keeps out wind chill/drafts/dew.
    Keep an eye out for MacPac sales, I picked up a $950 bag for $450 - its one of their top of range
    Aly likes this.

Keep an eye out for MacPac sales, I picked up a $950 bag for $450 - its one of their top of range
    MacPac bags are awsome. I would say they're almost minimum standard I would use. My one weighs 440 grams and is rated to -20 or something crazy. Never been cold in it. Always too warm if anything.

My biggest piece of advice would be to learn to shoot and be comfortable shooting the rifle that you intend to hunt with.
    Shooting your 22 at rabbits every weekend is all well and good for developing basic marksman skills - but when it comes to shooting a deer with a centrefire, you're going to have issues if you develop a bad flinch or a tendency to anticipate recoil.

I have a mate of mine who hunts with a Sako A7 in .270win - took him out for a Goat shoot and he seemed almost hesitant to shoot it at anything. Like he was scared of the rifle.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!