Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree271Likes

Thread: Police at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    A special reason is required for my detents, buffer spring and magazine springs.
    Your reason should be...I am a law abiding firearms owner, I am legally allowed to own this rifle, and I need these parts to repair it. Can't get much straighter than that?
    199p, Sasquatch and rewa like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

And that's what it'll be ^^^
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    .I was required to give a special reason for importing some A cat AR parts when I applied several weeks ago.People are reading that statement and then thinking nothing has changed....but I can assure you that is not the case....
    I thought you didn't need an import permit for a cat parts. Only for actions.

If you have an import permit issued in advance by the Police for your parts then you are Good to go.Otherwise you are taking a risk importing any AR parts now.....
    I never got an import permit for my a cat parts. They were only buffer and hand guards etc though.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thats crap oi......

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmTom View Post
    Thats crap oi......
    Me?

One more time.....you now need a permit for ALL parts......and a 'special reason' as well.If you don't believe me,try an import,and see what happens.....
    I believe you.

It's just that when I built mine a few months ago I ordered some bits from Brownells just fine. So you shouldn't need a permit hut you do cos the cops are being knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
    Police approach to MSSA* classification remains unchanged
    [17 July 2018] In order to provide clarity for recent enquires we are reissuing the following information from mid-2017.

In response to recent information being circulated within the firearms community regarding the classification of A-category firearms – and in particular AR15 type semi-automatic firearms – Police confirms that the classification and rules regarding the importation of these weapons has not changed. (*MSSA, Military Style Semi-Automatic)

Specifically:

People can still continue to apply to import A-category firearms as they always have – no special reasons are required. This classification and its interpretation by Police has not changed, despite what has been circulated through social media.
    28,000 A-category firearms were imported into New Zealand in 2016 and these will continue to be imported in 2017 under the same classification rules.
    There has been no re-classification of AR15 type semi-automatic weapons nor has Police made any proposal – an individual or a dealer can still continue to apply to import these weapons. These continue to be treated as an either an A-category or an E-category firearm depending on the individual specifications of the firearm.
    The Arms Act has always required importer to obtain a permit to bring in “parts” of firearms to New Zealand and a special reason is required to import MSSA parts. To deliver on the intent of the Act Police needs to consider whether the application relates to a part of a MSSA or part of an A category firearm. Where it is possible that the part could be either for an A category or an E category firearm Police is required to seek further clarification about the intended use of the part.
    Police cannot change the classification of firearms by making an Order-in-Council. Any such proposal would need to be approved by Cabinet and be signed by the Governor-General
    Police continues to administer the Arms Act and remains committed to working with the firearms community to promote the safe use and management of firearms. Anyone with questions regarding Police’s approach to firearms licensing or management is encouraged to contact us directly or through the Firearms Community Advisory Forum.
    Police’s first priority remains the safe, secure and lawful use of firearms and effective administration of the Arms Act as part of our commitment to safer communities together.

Not sure if that's here somewhere or not but it clears up a few things.
    Clears up NOTHING.

I ordered some stuff a couple months back,I did not need a permit (then) either....but now,unfortunately,you do.Things have changed in the past few weeks.And not for the better.
    I mean, it happened to me late last year remember....

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Clears up NOTHING.
    I disagree,
    ". To deliver on the intent of the Act Police needs to consider whether the application relates to a part of a MSSA or part of an A category firearm. Where it is possible that the part could be either for an A category or an E category firearm Police is required to seek further clarification about the intended use of the part." As I read that, and also confirmed by AO all they want to do is make sure that incoming parts are for acat rifles.. it's not much extra effort, yes it's a bit annoying but all the fuss is over a little bit of paper that takes 5 minutes to fill out..

I disagree,
    ". To deliver on the intent of the Act Police needs to consider whether the application relates to a part of a MSSA or part of an A category firearm. Where it is possible that the part could be either for an A category or an E category firearm Police is required to seek further clarification about the intended use of the part." As I read that, and also confirmed by AO all they want to do is make sure that incoming parts are for acat rifles.. it's not much extra effort, yes it's a bit annoying but all the fuss is over a little bit of paper that takes 5 minutes to fill out..
    The problem is when dealers are being told they cant stock parts and having permits not issued because the parts can fit both e cat and a cat rifles there is problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Cordite like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I disagree,
    That's the way it's always been though. No import permit and a clarifying email. No need for the cops to play games like they're doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloves;729195 As I read that, and also confirmed by AO all they want to do is make sure that incoming parts are for a-cat rifles.. it's almost [U
    Impossible[/U].
    Impossible is the correct word. Unless it's a magazine of more than 7 rounds (which can be used on some a cat rifles), a pistol grip, gas block with baynet lug or so called flash hider. These parts can also be modified to make them a-cat and then fitted a-cat.
    Its silly because in reality all of it's about how the AR looks, nothing about function. You can only really argue that one about magazines.
    Cordite likes this.

I disagree,
    The big giveaway here is the inclusion of the word "intent". The Police are using this to enforce arbitrary restrictions on AR (and maybe AK) components by coming up with their own interpretations of the act. If this was in fact what the act required, any component for any semi auto would need a permit (off the top of my head I cant think of a single semi that could not be made in MSSA configuration). Using their logic you need an import permit to bring in a set of $2 aliexpress scope rings because they could be fitted to an AR....

Essentially they are saying, this is what the law says, but, yea na it actually means this.