Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Restrictions and conditions on an 'A' Category 50BMG?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    And also they have no Authority pertaining to Serial numbers of A cats!!! Despite their best efforts to enforce such a scheme!
    Just had a new s43A mail order form filled out yesterday to secure the purchase of a .22. The condition of the form being sent (via arms officer)to the seller was that the serial number was logged!

Righty then so their recording serial numbers..........

Did they give you the option to not give said serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Which man?
    Mr L :-)
    Happy likes this.

No, said it was required!

Import it, sell it to a mate. Buy it back a week later. Solves the problem
    veitnamcam, mikee and Maca49 like this.

I recently had licence re-issued (10yrs) and when the AO came around for a "chat" and a "look" at my safe and security arrangements he whips out a piece of paper and asks "would you mind reading out the serial numbers and cal of your rifles". I said yes I do mind and reminded him he had no authority to do so. He looked a little miffed and told me it would be in my best interest you know for security. Pushy prick, Jog on i have the details i require for security. He left dejected and i was a little worried that i could have "poked the bear" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Righty then so their recording serial numbers..........

Did they give you the option to not give said serial number?
    One of the articles on the stop/go murder also said that they linked the guy to it through the serial number of the rifle, which had been recorded during a licence renewal

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    I recently had licence re-issued (10yrs) and when the AO came around for a "chat" and a "look" at my safe and security arrangements he whips out a piece of paper and asks "would you mind reading out the serial numbers and cal of your rifles". I said yes I do mind and reminded him he had no authority to do so. He looked a little miffed and told me it would be in my best interest you know for security. Pushy prick, Jog on i have the details i require for security. He left dejected and i was a little worried that i could have "poked the bear" so to speak.
    Mate went through the same thing. Was told "we're not going to approve you're security if you don't give us your serial numbers and show me your semi autos". Came to nothing.

Banned
    If you are so paranoid about the cops knowing your serial numbers, then why don't you guys simply put your A-cat guns at a mate's place before the cops come and do the security inspection?

Or hide them under the bed in the spare room until he's gone. You could just say you don't have any guns at the moment.

Might save you from getting convicted for murder at some time in the future.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    One of the articles on the stop/go murder also said that they linked the guy to it through the serial number of the rifle, which had been recorded during a licence renewal
    Sounds like a good bit of police work. Not all licence holders stay 'fit and proper' to have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    If you are so paranoid about the cops knowing your serial numbers, then why don't you guys simply put your A-cat guns at a mate's place before the cops come and do the security inspection?

Or hide them under the bed in the spare room until he's gone. You could just say you don't have any guns at the moment.

Leaving aside the way you seem to be implying that people who don't want their guns registered with no legal authority are likely to be murderers...

It's about principle - if it's fine for the police to act outside the law when they think something is for a good reason, where do you draw the line? Is it ok for them to tamper with evidence because they're pretty sure the accused did it? Or lie about their actions because the truth is inconvenient? Some of them do that too, are you saying that's ok because they're police? Hey, maybe it's ok for police to shoot someone just because they think they might be a bad person? After all, if you don't give them a reason to think that then you have nothing to worry about.

The law is there for a reason and the police are subject to it for a reason too, it's not up to them to change it or break it when it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Leaving aside the way you seem to be implying that people who don't want their guns registered with no legal authority are likely to be murderers...

It's about principle - if it's fine for the police to act outside the law when they think something is for a good reason, where do you draw the line? Is it ok for them to tamper with evidence because they're pretty sure the accused did it? Or lie about their actions because the truth is inconvenient? Some of them do that too, are you saying that's ok because they're police? Hey, maybe it's ok for police to shoot someone just because they think they might be a bad person? After all, if you don't give them a reason to think that then you have n)othing to worry about.

The law is there for a reason and the police are subject to it for a reason too, it's not up to them to change it or break it when it suits them.
    Sums it up perfectly, its not law, and you are actually upholding the law by refusing. If the law changes an serial nos are required then ok we supply them. Read George Orwells 1984 for a lession in death of civil liberties by a thousand cuts
    Steve123 and LiamC like this.

It's nothing about paranoia, it's about police following the written law and doing their job. Just because they might view a certain section of society with contempt, doesn't give them an excuse to make up their own rules.

They haven't found the stop/go murder weapon, so can't really claim it's linked to the murder via the serial number. They just wanted to eliminate them forensically, but I get the impression he'd stopped cooperating by that point.
    veitnamcam and Jexla like this.

Ejected

Also may help as evidence to wrongly convict you of a murder.

It's not law to log serial numbers so when it's logged to you and you on sell it via direct hand over, it's still logged against you owning it.