Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Long range shooting course

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    For me, $2500 = 1700 rounds (depending on how much powder I spill).

1700 rounds will teach you a lot.
    1700 rounds will reinforce a lot of bad habits if you are doing the wrong things

Training has value
    Savage1 likes this.

GunWerks Shooting School

Hello everyone, I have just done the two day shooting school with GunWerks in Australia at the Ragland range in central Queensland. We shot at a starting distance of 500meters and then moved onto the 1000meter range . The school was very good and had a strong focus on long range hunting. Most of the shooters shot groups of 5 inchers at 1000 meters with Gunwerks rifles and Ammo.We shot prone, shooting sticks, a bipod and rear bag and used 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr berger hunting pills. Worth a look!

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob270 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have just done the two day shooting school with GunWerks in Australia at the Ragland range in central Queensland. We shot at a starting distance of 500meters and then moved onto the 1000meter range . The school was very good and had a strong focus on long range hunting. Most of the shooters shot groups of 5 inchers at 1000 meters with Gunwerks rifles and Ammo.We shot prone, shooting sticks, a bipod and rear bag and used 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr berger hunting pills. Worth a look!

Cheers Rob
    What did you go there to learn to do Rob-or what was on offer

A girl I knew hit a 1000yard target on her first shot ever with a large centerfire.
    +1 with the right set up & gear it is very possible.

My Daughter was 10 when see shot her first rabbit @ 95 with a 204 after 3 outings she had hit 2 out of 3 @ 309 yards.
    She also shot out to 1125 yds & went to some LR steel shoots to show the boys how to do it
    Her first Fallow deer @ 317 yds on my birthday when she was 11 was a great day.
    Earlier this year she shot her first Red at 600 yds
    GF shot her first rabbits @ 200 ish & her first Red at 525 yds so she has 3 victims so far
    She has also shot steel out to 1475 yds.

The best thing I have done is gone out & shot steel at distance with other Forum members both up North & way down South, beware this can get expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    +
    The best thing I have done is gone out & shot steel at distance with other Forum members both up North & way down South, beware this can get expensive
    +1
    It is a very nice way to learn.
    I see nothing wrong with paying money for a course, it's an honest way of making a buck, but beware that the quality varies enormously. There are many experts with partial and I have attended where the instructor were so embarrasingly underdog in skill we just threw him out.

(Anyone heard of the Lutz Muller bullets?
    Lutz Moeller in English on Bullets

We actually tested them and they work best on the internet...)

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    +1
    It is a very nice way to learn.
    I see nothing wrong with paying money for a course, it's an honest way of making a buck, but beware that the quality varies enormously. There are many experts with partial and I have attended where the instructor were so embarrasingly underdog in skill we just threw him out.

(Anyone heard of the Lutz Muller bullets?
    Lutz Moeller in English on Bullets

We actually tested them and they work best on the internet...)
    Now thats funny !! The guy is a bit of a legend in different circles of shooters and a revered designer of stuff to others ,Interesting uncovering the layers of BS to see if he is as good as some say .Great thread went down on Snipershide about the BS some manufacturers spin especially the south African guy that make solids -he just failed miserably and you were paying a premium for his failures !

There is much to get right with shooting accurately at all distances depending on the size of the object you are shooting and I know all of you that enjoy this sort of target type shooting understand the difficulties one encounters even after you got you load down pat , are zeroed ,your body mechanics are oiled and functioning so you are correctly positioned and comfortable to shoot and watch you shot land .The greatest and hardest obstacle is the wind school and understanding what is happening in all the different terrain features that you encounter --basically I doubt you stop learning but its a lot of fun and a school you don't mind attending as much as possible

Wind isn't that difficult, stick to the basics and add/remove a fixed amount if you encounter certain terrain features. There'll always be a wind that cannot be doped, but there are a lot of "impossible" winds that's just a matter of method. Then it is fairly easy to just hammer the target twice and have a very good chance of hitting.

I find that controlling shoulder pressure and relaxing right arm under stress is a huge obstacle for many.

It must be you southislanders that have bomb ups, As philipo will attest there is none of that sort of behavior at the north island forum shoots.
    All jokes aside there are places for paying to learn and picking up knowledge for free of others but pulling the trigger lots is the main source of learning in a controlled manner of course!
    The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same eh!
    I know from my readings on here my shootings not too bad these days. I can shoot very respectable groops with most rifles and I have good success at longer ranges in the right conditions.

But, I literally started out as the worst shot in history. Im confident I was. At 25m from a benchrest I would struggle to hit the paper. I would not shoot at an animal with a large center fire beyond 15m (seriously). I was the laughing stock of my friends on pig shoots.

I started at the range with Carlsen Highway aka James Passmore our avid new author. I had the mother of all flinches among many other sins, including gripping the rifle like I was hanging off it over a cliff. He did a wonderful job and trained me out of my flinch while I was still shooting a light hard booting rifle. No mean feat. I could then shoot ok, if not a little inconsistent groups at the range and my field shooting became respectable. I still didnt have the confidence to shoot my own groops for load development though.

Then I met Norway and did his course and learned a bunch more. Iv practiced a great deal of what I have been taught, and picked up a lot in discussions on technique on the forum. The old one, and now here.

All of this was free of charge. Cost me nothing, and I met lots of cool people along the way.

Im not saying Im a master marksman, but I remember what I was taught and how I was taught it and Iv come up with a few goodies of my own. Iv had good success coaching a few beginners. If anyone is struggling with their shooting from field positions, I have a range and Im happy to help as much as I can (Im back in NZ in October).

As for the LR stuff, thats best learned by reading, then reading some more. Norways CD has everything you could possibly need. Then its just practice. LR shoots are great. Ones Iv been to tend to be a bit of a bomb up. We should run some more technique focused ones.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    What did you go there to learn to do Rob-or what was on offer
    I went to the course to learn the basics of long range hunting. Most of my rifle hunting is varmiting with a 22-250 and bigger game animals with a old sako L61R 270 Win. After hunting in the Mount Hutt region in March this year the abilty to hunt at extended ranges, humanely and consistently place a shot with a hunting rifle.

The course was easy to understand and you put in practice what had been taught.

For me the use of the G7 range finder along with the Gunwerks turret system, made the practical side of the course very easy.

They explain bullet drift and show you how to read the wind, mirrarge and its effects at a distance.

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Norway;29328[COLOR="#FF0000"
    ]Wind isn't that difficult,[/COLOR] stick to the basics and add/remove a fixed amount if you encounter certain terrain features. There'll always be a wind that cannot be doped, but there are a lot of "impossible" winds that's just a matter of method. Then it is fairly easy to just hammer the target twice and have a very good chance of hitting.

I find that controlling shoulder pressure and relaxing right arm under stress is a huge obstacle for many.
    Do you win alot of competitions?

R93
    Depends, do they involve a biscuit T? I reckon I would give the accountant with no fingers from Sons of Anarchy a run for his money.

I think you would be surprised how few people are interested in competitions El Boracho.
    Competitions are fun and don't leave you much room for illusions about your ability or the efficiency of your system, if you shoot the right sort of competition...

I wish there were cool practical LR comps in Nz.

I think you would be surprised how few people are interested in competitions El Boracho.
    comps are a great way to test your theory's and pitt yourself against your peers -I tend to listen to those that have Identifiable track records .

I used to compete when I was a kid but not anymore, but I often took a trophy and also had a few coveted ones before I binned them. I'm not willing to travel to shoot a few shots and we hardly have F-class here. Spare time is about the most valuable thing I have.

It actualle became a credibility problem for my writing, hence the witness in my last blog. (he is famous in scandinavian hunting circles)