Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree785Likes

Thread: Various Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    Is the engraving hand engraving? I had a few knives made by a super knife maker in Aust ( now passed away) and he hand engraved his makers name on all his knives. Nice touch and better IMO than etching. Example below on a kitchen knife he made me.

Attachment 211441
    you sir have talent in spades and then some to spare.never tire of seeing your cra ftsmanship !

A Hunter skinner in 1084 with jarrah habndle scales in closed top sheath with honing steel. A bit of texturing and stamping on the sheath.

A 1095 Tahr Hunter with jimping and a spalted Buckeye handle over CB buffalo horn bolsters in closed top sheath with edge stamping.

A 1095 Old Western Hunter with Cherry Burl over CB buffalo horn in closed top sheath with edge stamping.

Dreamer, 6x47, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

A new butcher knife for me. Cryo quenched 9 inch nitroV blade with stainless bolster, stainless and G10 spacers and a G10 liner under the Honduran Rosewood handle.

These three Buffalo Skiners have best grade Walnut over buffalo horn curve back bolsters on 1075 HC blades with engraved names in closed top sheaths with edge stamping and an attached honing steel.

outdoorlad, NRT, Dreamer and 5 others like this.

A Tahr Hunter with scolloped OD canvas micarta over orange G10 liners with lanyard tube and spine jimping on the 1095 HC blade in a new design 10degree horrozontal sheath with top closure.

A pair of filleting knves with blue G10 over black liners on the 4 1/2 and 6 inch NitroV SS blades.

A pair of whittling knives for a carver to test so grinder finished blades with the top one being a primary whittler with 2 1/2 inch blade and the detail whittler with finer pointed 1 1/4 in blade in 1075 HC steel.

And there is a field scalpel with walnut on the nitroV SS blade in pocket or pack sheath.

Dreamer, rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

The 4 piece K-tip Chef set comprizing the 10 and 8 inch chef's with the 6 inch general purpose and the 4 inch paring knife with Chittim handles all on cryo quenched NitroV blades. The knife block is a one off as it was a labour intensive design and trial exercise because of the length of the10 inch blade needing more than the usual upright block, and the multiple angles of every piece of the macrocarpa wood took time and trials to get right.

The Heavy hunter with Koa over CB Buff on 1075 blade in stamped, closed top sheath and the little field scalpel with walnut on the NitroV blade in a pocket or pack sheath.

rugerman, FRST, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

This is a 3 piece K-tip chef set I made for my niece with black cherry acrylic scales on the cryo quenched NitroV blade.

Have this sword in the wakizashi style all finished with its 21 inch 1075 blade, brass guard and white ash handle and scabbard with back carry straping.

Micky Duck, ROKTOY and dannyb like this.

I whish I never found this page......they look bloody good
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.

A one off Kitchen boning knife with its 6 inch straight backed thicker/stiffer 3/16 1075 HC blade with chocolate Karelian Birch handle going forward of the finger notch as specified.

Micky Duck and Boner like this.

Been playing with a couple of swords lately and the one I recently finished was for a friend who has the LGS and is retiring soon (or sometime ) and wanted that to hang on his wall after he had seen another I had built for an Alaskan hunter. The other one is a European style Hunting sword that I wanted to try my hand at so it will be for me so today I started on the shell guard. I had made a card pattern that was close to what I wanted so drew it on to the 1/8 sheet I will use for the finished guard.

Cut it out and cleaned up the edges.

I needed some of the finished shape to be able to file in the lines for the shell so fired up the forge and with a ball peem hammer in the vise to give me something round to shape it over, got a preliminary shape to file in the lines.

Marked in with tri file and finished with small round file. Was not after perfect lines as a more organic look was my intention and then with a small ball peen dimpled all that will be on the outside of the guard, bar the shell itself. reasonably pleased with the[rogress to date. Of course the shell will be bent fuurther after other shaping is done and I want to add another piece to the top of the guard but that will be for another day.

Micky Duck likes this.

An AH (Africa Hunting) EDC with curve backed buffalo horn bolster, camel bone scales over black G10 liner with stainless pin and lanyard tube with white bead on black lanyard, all on 1084 blade with the forum logo etched and in closed top sheath with edge stamping and the custome initials. It will go with US based hunters to be gifted to the professional hunter after the safari.

FRST and Micky Duck like this.

Rather pleased with todays progress having the Hunting Sword done and ready to start on the scabbard. Lots of new things for me on this one so there is improvments to be made but for this one that will stay with me it is not a bad starting point.
    Weight is 1lb9oz with balance point 3 1/2 in ahead of the handle so nice blade weight for those slashing cuts but nimble enough for getting in to finish off that arrow wounded stag.

FRST, Micky Duck and Shamus_ like this.

Early in Jan I was asked if I had thought of a camp hatchet and as it happened I had done one about 35-40 years ago but I made it from and old saw blade and consequently it only weighed 10 oz but the design worked nicely for light kindling etc so I used that for the pattern of the one to be part of a camp set and making it from 5.3mm 1075 steel it weighs in at 1lb 3oz with the balance point at the 3rd hole from the acacia handle with a thickened pole of about 9/16 for tent pegging etc then mated it with the Byrd camp knife with its 7 inch x1/8 1075 blade and the field boning knife with a 4 3/4 inch 1075 blade and all being stone washed .
    I can now present the Charles Byrd camp set.

NRT, kotuku, 300CALMAN and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff Knives View Post
    Rather pleased with todays progress having the Hunting Sword done and ready to start on the scabbard. Lots of new things for me on this one so there is improvments to be made but for this one that will stay with me it is not a bad starting point.
    Weight is 1lb9oz with balance point 3 1/2 in ahead of the handle so nice blade weight for those slashing cuts but nimble enough for getting in to finish off that arrow wounded stag.

looking at that......the biggest issue with a machete for gorse is no matter how good your gloves yo uwill still end up spiking your hand..always wondered how a decent box type handguard like old naval cutlass would go...I tried botton of plastic bottle slid over blade and its not bad...
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters