Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree785Likes

Thread: Various Knives

Three ready to leave home.
    A Grayling with a nice acrylic over black liner with 416 SS bolster and pomel on the cryo quenched NitroV SS blade in closed sheath with second closed sheath for previous knife that was in open top sheath.
    A PH EDC with brown linen micarta scales over black linen micaarta curve back bolster on the 1075 blade with honing steel in open top sheath
    And a Heavy Hunter with Tasmanian blackwood over curve back buffalo horn bolster on the 1075 blade in closed top sheath.

Dreamer, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Doon and CBH Australia like this.

A 5 1/2 and 7 inch chef. black paper micarta on the cryo quenched NitroV SS blades.

NRT, Dreamer, Scouser and 1 others like this.

Sometimes it is the small ones that take the most to get right and this letter opener and stand proved that again.

Knife is 3 3/4 in NitroV blade with black paper micarta and resin ivory with the stand being a piece of black ivory with the resin ivory holder set into it.

NRT and Micky Duck like this.

The blade has a bit of laguiole look :-)
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The blade has a bit of laguiole look :-)
    I see what you mean but the original this was patterned on is my own letter opener that was a remake of a field boning knife I was making and reshaped after damaging the tip during making and it worked so well I have kept the design in stock.
    Micky Duck likes this.

[QUOTE=Von Gruff Knives;1327987]Sometimes it is the small ones that take the most to get right and this letter opener and stand proved that again.

Knife is 3 3/4 in NitroV blade with black paper micarta and resin ivory with the stand being a piece of black ivory with the resin ivory holder set into it.

What is black ivory - is it animal or resin based?

Lovely work in any event.

[QUOTE=Ross Nolan;1330613]
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff Knives View Post
    Sometimes it is the small ones that take the most to get right and this letter opener and stand proved that again.

What is black ivory - is it animal or resin based?

Lovely work in any event.
    Black ivory is an African wood Ross. I have a piece of red ivory and have seen pink ivory as well.
    Micky Duck likes this.

A general,purpose knife with NZ Rata over brass on the 5 inch 1084 HC blade in sheath with attached honing steel.

Dreamer and Micky Duck like this.

[QUOTE=Von Gruff Knives;1330650]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post

Black ivory is an African wood Ross. I have a piece of red ivory and have seen pink ivory as well.
    Thanks - something every day.
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.

A 1084 mini skiner with karelian birch and honing steel.

A PH EDC with CB buffalo horn and desert ironwood on the 1095 blade.

and a bird and trout with antler scales, brass bolster and pomel on the NitroV blade.

Dreamer and Micky Duck like this.

Made a start on a new project the other day. A comission for a longer bladed companion piece to the tanto I did a while back for the Alaskan bear hunter. Not a traditional Wakazishi (will not have a habaki/blade collar or handle wrap etc) ) but lighlty inspired by that style with 20 inch blade and 9 1/2 inch handle in a back scabbard.
    First was I needed to draw a pattern with the smaller (western styled) tanto for inspiration.

Make a sheet steel template and select a suitable bar of steel and in this case it is 4.3mm 1075

Scribe the template onto the 1075 bar and grind to dimensions

do the pre heat treat grind. My forge was not quite long enough to get the full length to temp so I cut a section from the closed far end to allow for "painting" the blade with the heat to ensure the full length was to quenching heat.

Have it in the tempering oven for its second 2 hr cycle so will get back to the finish grind after I do the handle shaping on another knife I have to get ready to go for engraving
    Mistral, Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.

A 1084 skinner with brass curve back bolster and pomel and antler.

These two in trade/thank you for some extras for a superglide I bought on monday. The guy does a lot of fishing so a fisherman and a filleting knife. Black/blue acrylic handles over blue G10 liners on the NitroV SS blades.