Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree785Likes

Thread: Various Knives

A short sword that will be off to the bear hunter in Alaska soon. 20 inch blade of 4.3mm 1075 with brass guard and 9 1/2 inch white ash handle and scabbard with leather strapping for back carry.

Micky Duck likes this.

This bearded chef away to kitchen duty has Honduran Rosewood handles on the NitroV SS blade.

Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

These two are new design and away to a friend. The 9 inch Butchers knife (available in 9 to 12 inches) and the 7 1/2 inch BKC knife (Byrd Kitchen @ Camp Knife) both with turtle shell synthetic handles.

Micky Duck likes this.

Got mine the other day.
    It's fantastic
    With thanks @wekamanName:  20220904_225331.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  680.2 KB

Like to know what type of steel were used for these,
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Like to know what type of steel were used for these,
    I have different steel in stock with the 10series (75, 84 and 95) O1 with NitroV stainless as well.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

This set is heading awy to its new home in the morning. 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 chef with 5 in general purpose and a 4 inch paring knife with pearlesant black cherry polyester scales on the Cryo quenched NitroV stainless blades.
    NRT, Dreamer, mikee and 8 others like this.

again absolutely bloody stunning craftsmanship .the knives just ooze class and sharpness.
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.

This set away in the morning. I am increasingly favouring the K-tip design chef knife with its depth of blade further out toward the tip.
    An 8 inch K-tip, a 5 inch general purpose and a His n Her steak knife set in the travel case all in cryo quenched NitroV with ss pins in the Camel bone handles.

Dreamer, Micky Duck, Lucky and 1 others like this.

I was sent a pair of bog oak scales and a pair of small mamoth tusk pieces. The guy hadn't checked sizes before ordering but wanted to know what I could do with them for one of the knives he has on order. The mamoth tusk was marginally thicker on the one side so to get the most out it I decided to mill the front of the scales and use them as thier own liner under the tusk but angled the scale when milling the recess.
    Then after the handle were dry fitted and shaped , I got them finish sanded and buffed. I will be able to re touch where the pins are in final assembly without harming anything else. Have lightly radiused the underside edge and the right round the steel as well and have etched it so for the next 12 hours it will sit in the coffee after which it get a carefull sit in hot water to clean residue off, be blow dried with the heat gun and get a spray down with wd40 then left for 48 hrs to "set" before the stone washing.

This one is for a friends sons birthday and is the Mini Skiner in 1084 with scolloped OD canvas micarta over orange liners in hot waxed, initialled and edge stamped sheath

Micky Duck, diana2 and dannyb like this.

57JL
    nice how much

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    nice how much
    Depends on the upgrades. PM for options.

This pair of knives is away to day and or one in particular it has been an interesting chalenge with new materials and techniques. The conversation started a while back asking if I had worked with bog oak and mamoth tusk so after some decisions on various aspects of the knife the oak and tusk were purchased only toi find the tusk was really quite thin segments and not the size that would make the suitable for stand alone bolsters so they were shipped off to me with the decision beling left untill they arrived to see how they might best be used. When they arrived and after a bit of thought it was agreed that I would mill down the front of the bog oak to be its own liner under the mamoth tuskand because the tusk was thinner on one side I angled the milling to retain as much of the tusk as possible when shaping began.
    This was to be for a Heavy hunter, so after making sure the handle would fit the tang I went ahead with the milling and epoxied them together.
    Becauser the blade was to be stone washed I decided to pre fit them so after the stone washing and final fitting there would be no interuption in the stone washed effect as is usual when fitting the handles afterwards.

I radiused all the edges round both the scales (apart from the front of the bolster of course) and the knife tang then gave the blade a good acetone wash, etched it and gave it a 6 hour coffee soak before a gentle hot water wash, an oil and sat it for 48 hrs to set. Then the stone washing left it with a very nice and dark finish so again it was acetone washed and the handles epoxied and pinned on. When it was being pre fitted I would tap the pins through to protrude on the opposite side so I could shape the one side the reverse it for the other which left me with long pins but after the epoxy dried I cut them off with side cutters and carefully filed them down to the surface gently sanded again and re buffed the surface. Have been really pleased with how they finished up. The sheath is a left hasnd behind the back cross draw and with a second knife to go as well, a Chamois Hunter in plain furniture was made using a block of black locut and it also sits in a left hand sheath.

muzr257, NRT, Frogfeatures and 2 others like this.

NRT
    Outstanding work,

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.