Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Media Firearms beat-up continues

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Ok so you join a branch of the military do you get a firearms licence?
    Had a funny conversation with a cop mate at one stage about him being qualified to use handguns, AR15s etc on duty if necessary but couldn't go shooting in his own time as he didn't have a licence. Good bugger with his head on the right way, think I'd still trust him more than most people with a gun.

A very interesting thread, with some very divided opinions...
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Q1. No.
    Q2. No.
    Q3. If your trade requires a vehicle licence, the army will train you and get you your vehicle licence in the relevant vehicle class(es). The Army has its own LTSA certified instructors for this.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Yes already new the answer to this one.
    But while in the forces how many times did you see dick next to you do something so stupid you thought bugger that could have been me us?!
    Don't get me wrong here any body who serves to protect hats off in my book...but not all are trained the right way!
    If you have been tought in one envorment dose not mean that you can't retrain for a new envroment.

Just to throw my 10c on the Military training discussion.

Not all military are fully trained in the art of war. All are trained during basic, but at a basic level. After that most would be lucky to fire their rifles more than a couple times a year, at the most.

Just because someone has "got some time up" it dosn't mean they are jungle fighting snipers that fly Wokkers, jumping out of C130's while firing their cruise missles. More than likely they are mechanic's, cooks, blanket counters etc that go to work just like Mr Civi

1/2 of them have to reminded that the sharp end is the bit that the bullets comes out of
    stretch and Sideshow like this.

R93
    Doesn't matter what role you have. In the Army for example so many civilian safety rules are pointless and not practiced that I think teeth arms especially have a different approach to safety. And would go as far as saying they would come out of the service as complacent.
    I did.
    If you sweep someone with a pistol in ipsc you are likely DQ and considered a safety risk.

You could be firing it to cover a withdrawal toward someone running straight back at you in the military especially during training.

Dunno about now as it may have changed but certain members of a patrol would be locked and loaded with safety off and auto selected for weeks on end whilst moving. If you are doing your job properly you would sweep other members of your team countless times.
    I never gave it a second thought, it was a requirement.

My point being, soldiers are not imo, going to automaticly have better safety standards than civilians that have high standards.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, ebf, hanse and 5 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Hmm still not getting the point, don't care about military training, been there done that and I know what you are on about.
    But how many of the wantabee shooters get hold of a sks and a 100 rounds and haven't a clue of ANY form of training, only 1 hour of a safety talk that got them their FAL.
    I would love to see 1/2 a day on a range as part of the FAL process in place of the 1 hour safety talk. Surely that's got to help ???

The head of police/minister of police countered that question by quoting a shooting incident where the shooter aimed shot and killed his mate so he had just proved he knew how to aim accurately and hit his target so what more would a couple of hours at a range do for him?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There shouldn't be any 'wannabe' shooters, people are either licenced or should be under the direct supervision of someone who is licenced.
    There is an exam at the end of their 'safety talk' in which one must demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the subject matter, the following of which should in theory preclude any accident or incident. Not to mention referrals and interviews.
    Quit making generalisations about us a user group to be a bunch of muppets. Anyone with a computer can read this forum, they shouldn't have cause to form a negative opinion of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Hmm still not getting the point, don't care about military training, been there done that and I know what you are on about.
    But how many of the wantabee shooters get hold of a sks and a 100 rounds and haven't a clue of ANY form of training, only 1 hour of a safety talk that got them their FAL.
    I would love to see 1/2 a day on a range as part of the FAL process in place of the 1 hour safety talk. Surely that's got to help ???
    1) What difference does it make whether a "wannabe" shooter gets and sks, a jw15 or whatever?

2) Who is going to run this half a day on the range?

3) Whose range are you going to use? Some towns and rural areas have no range.

4) How is your half a day on the range going to stop people from shooting at each other in the field, when the range is nothing like the bush?

5) Who's going to pay for all this?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    1) What difference does it make whether a "wannabe" shooter gets and sks, a jw15 or whatever?

2) Who is going to run this half a day on the range?

3) Whose range are you going to use? Some towns and rural areas have no range.

4) How is your half a day on the range going to stop people from shooting at each other in the field, when the range is nothing like the bush?

5) Who's going to pay for all this?
    Australia.
    kiwijames, Scouser and Sideshow like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I would think it very very rare for someone in New Zealand to apply for their license who has not had previous experience with firearms. and by experience I mean has at least fired a gun of some sort. most people applying for a FAL would probably have mates or family who are interested in shooting and from whom they caught the bug.
    jakewire and veitnamcam like this.

Two of the biggest idiots I have ever shot with, both in unrelated time and places, were both ex army. Just saying
    Jexla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    No I don't think you do.
    My first centrefire WAS an SKS, long before I had any military training. The Mountain Safety Instructor made it very clear to us that a semi auto could be just as safe as any other gun, you just have to always remember that another round is loaded after you fire it. It is also very easy to check the chamber in an SKS (or SLR) and see if you have a round in the chamber or magazine. Very simple safety also. NEVER had an incident...
    The Mountain Safety Instructor also warned us about tube magazines. Much more dangerous as they require a more work to check properly. I know of several untended discharges with tube fed firearms. Some bolt actions are also harder to check.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Two of the biggest idiots I have ever shot with, both in unrelated time and places, were both ex army. Just saying
    I hope one of these idiots wasn't me Pointer because I can't ever remember every shooting with you. Have I? Surely not! Can't have could I?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hmm ok so all shooters are perfect, with a perfect FAL system and no one will ever shoot anybody else so what more can I say, nothing !!