Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree797Likes

Thread: TV3 & Guncity mistake

FFS. All of this defensiveness. And Americanisms.
    We are killing each other with our guns for heaven's sake. That's why there is attention on us.

Deflecting the argument back to road, children and swimming deaths just illustrates our lack of self awareness about our inability to blame ourselves. We need to get our shit together, stop talking and behaving like cocks and every single one of us should present to the public as being responsible, with our guns and our mouths.

Nickoli. Is that plain enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    We are killing each other with our guns for heaven's sake. That's why there is attention on us.

Deflecting the argument back to road, children and swimming deaths just illustrates our lack of self awareness about our inability to blame ourselves. We need to get our shit together, stop talking and behaving like cocks and every single one of us should present to the public as being responsible, with our guns and our mouths.

Thar - I addressed this in my response: any failure is because someone hasn't followed the 7 BASIC rules. Don't get your panties bunched up in a wad - I acknowledge that there are areas where work is needed. Sarcasm pisses me off.

I I never read all of this thread however I thought I'd add a few points of my own.

The current system is a farce and needs to be sorted, however that doesn't give a reporter a right to break the law in order to expose it, she could have gone about it in a much more sensible and organised way. I'd love to be the one charging her but that would go to somebody a long way above me.

Whenever I've filled out these forms for people I've always scanned and emailed them or posted them is offical police envelopes for them, saves the buyer a stamp and let's me sleep a little easier. I've been doing this for a couple of years now. I also make sure the delivery address is the address which the licence is registered too, when they want it sent to their work I confirm the address it is being sent to.

O'Conner has always appeared to be a great representative of the cops on the street, I quite like the guy and I'm gutted that he's leaving. I will reserve any slagging of him until I actually know what involvement he has had, I'm sick of reading the bs speculation.
    Pengy and Woody like this.

The reason we ought to draw attention to swimming, drinking, driving deaths etc is because it is a much greater problem than gun death. The amount of people killed with firearms is miniscule in the big picture. You would be ignorant of reality to think that people won't get killed with guns, regardless of what gun control measures are put in place. Think cause and effect. The deaths grabbing headlines are from people mishandling firearms and not identifying what they're shooting at. They aren't from people mail ordering guns to commit homicide. How will the media's firearm control measures stop licensed gun owners from fucking up and killing someone? I've heard things like gun registration, gun bans, make it harder to get a license. Great. It's not going to stop licensed shooters from unintentionally shooting another human.

its not a epedemic tahr it one or two clustered together making it look that way.
    shit the cops rightly or wrongly shot just as many in a week or so to put it in perspective.
    yes where ever you have a potentialy dangerous weapon you ill have mistakes and stupidity.how we minimise that is upto every one of us. your right and yes americanisms dont apply cos we have no right to defence of ourselves or liberty in our constitution.
    how is it that helped by someone pointing out that fraud and criminality will help you to make things worse.
    by organising a conspiracy to defraud and taking advantage of a theoretical problem that i doubt is putting guns in crims hands cos its to much risk. i can see shipping guns privately becoming extinct and h&f and the like rubbing thier hands with glee.
    Great. It's not going to stop licensed shooters from unintentionally shooting another human.
    sadly no even people who train week in week out to actually shoot people or not, get it wrong.
    how can we who dont be expected to be faultlesssly perfect? we cant but can do our best to be safe and instill it in others.
    O'Conner has always appeared to be a great representative of the cops on the street,
    then tell the truth about the 58 FIREARMS siezed in 7 weeks as usual its what he not saying that roots his arguement ie replica firearms air rifles
    Last edited by gsp follower; 26-10-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Guys we are all like the white ( or black) pawns on a chess board. We are on the same side. There is sense in what Thar has said and sense in what Nickoli has said. Passion as well in both.

We should heed the wisdom of ancient strategists. They still have application today.

Divide et Impera (Divide and Conquer) - Julius Caesar

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. - Sun Tsu

Even one accidental death at the hands of a legitimate licensed firearms owner is far too many.
    Pengy, Krameranzac and Dan88 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/r...aths/toll.html

Ban Cycling
    Ban Motorcyclists
    Put speed Governors in all cars to 80kph

New Zealand statistics | Alcohol.org.nz

Ban Alcohol

Quad bike safety | Worksafe

Ban Quad Bikes

All kill more people than hunting accidents. I am not saying that we should not do more to stop accidents but collective punishment is just Stalinist politics.

Unfortunately it is a philosophical problem these people have with private firearm ownership. They will use anything they can.
    PERRISCICABA, jackson21 and Woody like this.

Forgive me if i "offend" any of you guys, it is/was not my intention at all, just "a fact" to me.
    As i understand most of this "thing" that we are discussing right now came from people who "kind of" compare our NZ society with the "americans", so that hence my "american" post.(I am sorry @Tahr)
    Yes, we do know that our law has problems and we should "ALL TOGETHER" work to help fix it, reporters who look at create havoc is in pursuit of disagreement, division and dissolution, this way they will win over us good people who follow the (may be "fail") but law.
    We need to be together and support each other in this matter and stop find ways to justify GC or the reporter actions, what is right is right and the wrong will come up some time soon so the law breakers will be punished.
    If "we" know so much about the law and the "loop holes" that it has, why not study it a bit more to help the police and other authorities relate to make it safer.

Thank you for your time.

Mac

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Surely didn't offend me Mac.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We are NOT the US and our laws cannot be compared. If we want to give up our "Privilege" to own arms then just keep apologising and it will happen just as the unknown of journalist from the Waikato says.

PERRISCICABA don't be an apologist ,there is still sense in some of those "Americanisms" or call them what you want. Still amusing

It's a Pity, I think we should all stick together and not fight.

@300CALMAN, AGREED with the stick together!
    My apologies are because I am a quiet polite guy and don't want to be miss interpreted.
    As you mention, I want to keep together and to wih all of you guys as one "team"!

Guys at then end of the day the people that know the best will not consult, look at mountain safety treatment, and will change as they see best, no doubt a university qualification and a politician looking for a vote will be the most important qualification in changing into the law.
    I agree with the above comments, there are far worse things going on in NZ than legal firearms. The illegal ones are a different matter all together. Another interesting stat would be how many accidents the police themselves have in handling their firearms, I believe there's a few? Life's full of dangers it's one of the problems of being born! We are becoming to sanitized.
    veitnamcam, mikee and 300CALMAN like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

COLFO statement from their Facebook page

COLFO congratulates the Police in moving quickly to correct a deficiency in the procedure to obtain firearms by mail order, as demonstrated by the illegal and fraudulent purchase of a .22 calibre rifle by TV3.

There is a process called internal or operational audit (including fraud) which, carried out properly by appropriately qualified professionals should identify system weaknesses such as the one highlighted here. COLFO suggests the police use proper processes and appropriately qualified people in future and are available to assist in the provision of such professionals.

COLFO also understands that this deficiency was brought to the attention of TV3 by the Police Union and we therefore wonder why the deficiency was not raised by the union through proper Police channels. What was the true motivation behind this public display of criminal behaviour? Does this set a precedent that it is acceptable to break the law just to show that you can.

COLFO knows of at least three firearms dealers who have not been officially told of the change and hopes the police will quickly address this deficiency and communicate properly and directly with all affected parties

Am I sucking cock here?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Am I sucking cock here?
    I don't think so Maca, does your mouth feel full?
    AppleJack likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms