Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree797Likes

Thread: TV3 & Guncity mistake

"A few thousand dollars you reckon? What you're forgetting is the actual costs that government departments are charged for IT services.
    This is something the would cost MILLIONS of dollars and would have an ongoing cost in order to keep up and would more than likely be down continuously.
    Forgetting the costs of Nova pay? - regardless of the issues."

Didn't Canada spend obscene amounts trying to do exactly this, figured out it wouldn't work, and just basically just gave up?
    300CALMAN and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Didn't Canada spend obscene amounts trying to do exactly this, figured out it wouldn't work, and just basically just gave up?
    Correct.

Forbes Welcome
    veitnamcam likes this.

ebf
    gents, pls untwist your panties

there is a rather large difference between a central firearm register (ala Canada) and a simple process to validate licence holders for online purchases (a small % of all firearm sales in NZ)

pls gawd, don't develop an IT system, the consultants alone would charge millions. should be possible to get this done with a simple email to the local AO. and if you have the desire, you can then print it out and file it away...

when I've sold firearms and had to post them, I've always gone to see the local AO to confirm that the details provided by the other party is legit. it is not rocket science...
    misha2001 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Honestly I don't think anything will happen to her, the same thing happened in 2008 (I will try and find the link).
    If someone wants to acquire a gun illegally it's not that hard.
    Impersonating a police officer, well that's a different story! but in todays age Impersonating anything isn't that hard with the tech we have, but still fraud! I think we are just unlucky that firearms are the topic this week. Next week it will be underage drinking / buying smokes where they use the oldest looking underage person they can find to commit a crime.
    Maca49 likes this.

Make it a carbon copy form. Fill it out at the cop shop as you're meant to now. Cops keep one half on file. Dealer calls front desk at same cop shop to confirm details are correct.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Do they still make carbon paper! You must be as old as me
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Do they still make carbon paper! You must be as old as me
    I'm about half your age! For the modern high-tech crowd, you could use a tear-along-the-dotted-line page. You take the bit with both signatures, cops keep the rest for when the dealer calls to confirm.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I'm not for change either. Just if we had to. And yes it might be a chore to drive in there during business hours. But you have to anyway to get your form signed.
    I was just throwing it out there.
    And then you get the stations where the AO has decided nobody but him can sign the form, because he likes it that way, so you can only go get it signed when he's working. That means one month of the yr plus sick days he will be missing?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And then you get the stations where the AO has decided nobody but him can sign the form, because he likes it that way, so you can only go get it signed when he's working. That means one month of the yr plus sick days he will be missing?
    More than that! our arms officer covers the whole top half of the south island so bloody good luck meeting him to get anything signed!
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

3 years I still haven't seen him
    veitnamcam and Maca49 like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

The only issue with the old system was the seller verifying that it was an actual Police officer that signed the form. The new rules haven't changed anything apart from it is now the Police that will send the form to the seller.
    Seems interesting though that the Police can make up anew rule when nothing in the arms act has changed.
    veitnamcam, Maca49 and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have a solution to this that I imagine is pretty unpopular - I don't see the issue as being a sales issue, but a shipping one. Shipping firearms to private addresses, specifically.

Easy solution, scrap the police order form entirely, instead of heading to the police station to fill out the form, you head to the police station to show them your license and pick up your firearm, which was shipped there by the seller... would take up a slight amount of police time but would be pretty foolproof.
    easier solution ship to and pickup from local firearm dealer of buyers choice only or pickup

I like the idea of the Police sending it too the seller.
    Seems to be a simple solution to the problem, which should work and not cause a huge influx of extra work to the Police (shouldn't need to charge us for it).

I recently bought a rifle and had it sent to me, I'd filled out a paper form and when I handed it over to the Firearms person they typed it out into some fandagled format I had not seen before. If that was then emailed/faxed by the cops not me, then that saves me time having to try scan it.

I still hope HDPE gets in trouble, $15,000 of fines should do that trick. Knock them of their perches a bit.
    Maca49 likes this.

Ironically, she should be advocating that she gets the harshest punishment available as her whole point is that our firearm laws and consequences are too mild! Therefore she is being a hypocrite if she asks for leniency!
    Maca49, 308, Thirdguy and 3 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    More than that! our arms officer covers the whole top half of the south island so bloody good luck meeting him to get anything signed!
    Nelson, Tasman includes the Coast as well, bloody big area......