Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree511Likes

Thread: Why frontline cops should be armed

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    FAL holders (b endorsed in particular) hold the required attributes for the purpose of CC, and any deficiencies can be made up through classes and training. Concealed carriers wouldn't be getting the power and responsibility of a police officer, so directly comparing attributes is pointless.

I think it's the exact same issue. The only gain police are getting from full time arming is immediate access to a firearm for their own self defense. Why should only the police be afforded that ability. Increased risk doesn't make their life any more valuable.
    Crazy.
    Dan M

R93
    My employer is currently in the process obtaining CC permits for 3 different countries.
    The one proving most difficult is the one anyone would think would be the easiest.

I am against any form of public arming in NZ. But I would like to be able to hunt with a pistol legally.
    I believe police should be and will eventually be armed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, Shooter, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    The WINZ incident was committed by a lone person with mental health issues, it's a one off or extremely rare, not a daily occurrence. Who got called in to deal with that guy? Police.

Because I don't know is exactly why I'm neutral, there is no contradiction in that statement.

You stated "if you look at the safety statistics", now you're saying you don't know the statistics, that gives me great confidence in what you post.

I wasn't forgetting anything, I never heard of the CHCH incident, are you saying there has never been an accidental discharge on a civilian range? I talk to a lot of cops and don't hear of many injuries and incidents.
    Of course the police got called in to deal with him. Nobody else in the country is allowed to carry an effective means of defense and if they used it then it's likely that they would end up on the wrong side of a court case even though their intentions were to defend life and property. Basically what you are advocating is disarming the public and then arming the police more in order to protect a disarmed public.

I may have used the wrong word when I said satistics. My info came directly from the blokes on the RO course and it wasn't second hand. I don't think they release public stats on police range accidents but if they do let me know where they are. To the best of my knowladge there has been one firearm related injury at a civilian range.

Here is an article detailing the eight accidential dischanges by police between 2010 and 2013, it doesn't make for great reading.
    Police shooting still unresolved a year on | Stuff.co.nz

He was being helped to his feet when a police officer's Bushmaster rifle discharged. Pere spent several weeks in Wellington Hospital recovering.

The officer involved has since returned to work on restricted duties, and was stood down from the armed offenders squad.

That doesn't contain the Chch one so I will see if I can find that.
    veitnamcam, Banana and Jexla like this.

Why would anyone need to have the need for concealed carry in NZ. NZ is a safe place to live.

People here say the shootings would increase if the police were armed, what do you think would happen if the public could carry guns. Homicides would increase because if someone got into a disagreement with someone bigger than them, then guns would be drawn and someone would be shot.
    And then more people would be in jail for murder/manslaughter.

And how many people who would conceal carry guns would be killed by their own guns, or even lose them. Then the shitfight begins when the criminals get them.

Not to mention, gangs would definitely carry and to increase their stocks, they would target CC people.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    And how many people who would conceal carry guns would be killed by their own guns, or even lose them.
    Thats a risk for armed police officers as well mind you... one of my cop mates told a story about a colleague who attended a domestic at a known gang house, no backup available so strapped the pistol on for insurance. Predictably there is a bit of aggro, he is well outnumbered and gets smacked around and thrown back outside. Doesn't even realise his gun is gone until he's dragging his bruised ass back to his car afterwards and one of the older, wiser residents quietly hands it back to him. Could have been far worse!

He tells me that as a cop your greatest weapon (and greatest liability if you use it wrong) is your mouth, and his first option is always to try and defuse a situation by talking it down. Personally I'd like to see that attitude continue in the police force - obviously there are some situations that do require force, but increasing the level/frequency of police being armed seems likely to also increase the authoritarian 'do what I say or else' attitude some police officers demonstrate at times, and the 'them and us' response from the public.

jexla -youve been on" ride alongs" -ever been the one on point ,the one who has to make that decision.
    jesus wept the boys in blue have had to deploy tasers x3 on our site and the fucking post mortems ,/arse covering documentation would filla bloody rubbish skip.
    me -i worked with the bloke who was present in 2/3 occasions when the situations went"current"and ohms law applied-ohm=resistance -the more resistance shown the bigger the dose!.
    he certainly had no qualms about police actions given the weapons presented were a shard of glass like a dagger and screeds of airborne human blood -exactly who was responsible for what in hindsight was a clear as"dogpaddling through a lake of sloppy dogturds" in his words.
    yep that desription is just as apt in the auckland courier driver tragedy.
    just a pity the arsehole at the centre is set to spend his doubtful existence in taxpayers expense! sidney &savage seem to me to have the most cogent views on the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Of course the police got called in to deal with him. Nobody else in the country is allowed to carry an effective means of defense
    Ah there are at least two others organisations that can and have been called upon... But yes the police will be the first responders in all cases, well unless the country turns to shit!
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Ah there are at least two others organisations that can and have been called upon... But yes the police will be the first responders in all cases, well unless the country turns to shit!
    Who are they. I only thought the police enforced the law.
    veitnamcam and Jexla like this.

Ejected
    Why would anyone need to have the need for concealed carry in NZ. NZ is a safe place to live.

People here say the shootings would increase if the police were armed, what do you think would happen if the public could carry guns. Homicides would increase because if someone got into a disagreement with someone bigger than them, then guns would be drawn and someone would be shot.
    And then more people would be in jail for murder/manslaughter.

And how many people who would conceal carry guns would be killed by their own guns, or even lose them. Then the shitfight begins when the criminals get them.

Not to mention, gangs would definitely carry and to increase their stocks, they would target CC people.
    If it's a safe place to live then front line police don't need to be armed...

Who are they. I only thought the police enforced the law.
    you will work it out
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

northdude
    I recon we should show the world we are hard cunts and have unconcealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    jexla -youve been on" ride alongs" -ever been the one on point ,the one who has to make that decision.
    jesus wept the boys in blue have had to deploy tasers x3 on our site and the fucking post mortems ,/arse covering documentation would filla bloody rubbish skip.
    me -i worked with the bloke who was present in 2/3 occasions when the situations went"current"and ohms law applied-ohm=resistance -the more resistance shown the bigger the dose!.
    he certainly had no qualms about police actions given the weapons presented were a shard of glass like a dagger and screeds of airborne human blood -exactly who was responsible for what in hindsight was a clear as"dogpaddling through a lake of sloppy dogturds" in his words.
    yep that desription is just as apt in the auckland courier driver tragedy.
    just a pity the arsehole at the centre is set to spend his doubtful existence in taxpayers expense! sidney &savage seem to me to have the most cogent views on the prospect.
    I'm sorry but I can't read any of that without getting a headache, get some punctuation and I might take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    If it's a safe place to live then front line police don't need to be armed...
    My thoughts exactly. Stupidity is starting to show...

lets face it folks -we have the unarmed bobby as a legacy from the days of our colonial era when we were subservient to the UK&followed their social mores &traditions.
    unfuckingfortunately thosae social mores &traditions have progressed massively (backwardsIMHO)and today the feral reigns supreme .the days of the 6'6''rugby playing plod giving you a short sharp size 11 up the arse and threatening to "have a word with ya dad lad". we have in the past 2 decades and by&large due to some socially antagonistic experts bred a whole generation of sperm byproducts who belive theyre entitled to it&now". fuck society and what they think ..its me me me.Iknow my rights cause they told me so"and so on.

social media fed em violence and plenty of it as a way to get what they want-tacitly sanctioned by our own indifference, long on the talkfest short on the bloody act ion to halt this corrosive attitude and hence we arrive at this moot point.
    me _if hindsight is so fucking valuable why dont we all have a spare set of eyeballs in our arsecheeks!!
    massive -cmon man youre more bloody socially aware than what youre writing-takin the piss aint doinanyone any favours.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't read any of that without getting a headache, get some punctuation and I might take you seriously.

And so is arrogance....punctuation ...really.
    Savage1 and gadgetman like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post

Dont take the piss lassie or I will let loose. Ignorance is not bloody excuse on this forum -consider yourself warned young un!
    Sorry my arse

Obviously you like to think ya got it sussed well just sit quite take a deep breath and think on this
    40yrs ago an old bloke gave me this wee gem to think on and I think on it every day
    "tis the old dog who walks the footpath "
    "the pups they run the street"

Dont bother replying in haste -you may well find Ive already bared me teeth .Take ya time and have a wee think then apply the conclusions youve reached to the point of debate -you may very well be suprised at the conclusions you reach,i
    f so just open a new folder in the computer between your ears and call it lifes new experiences!
    finally seasons greetings to you asnd yours and may all your days be happy ones.
    Last edited by kotuku; 16-12-2015 at 08:51 PM.