Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Has 1080 by kill struck again

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Sturgeon View Post
    Why?, Are they politics or religion???.
    Todays DOC release claims that there is inconclusive proof a recent 1080 drop in the Kahurangi National Park has killed 25 rare rock wren.
    It makes you wonder is this going to be another cover up?
    Mick Smith is already saying that the use of preventative additives mixed in with the baits is designed to stop the bi-kill of non targeted species. We all know that really works.
    New Zealand Firsts Richard Prosser is calling for a MORATORIUM ON THE USE OF 1080.
    Is it time for the parties involved to be prosecuted if the 1080 drop was responsible for the death of these rock wren.
    I guess we will have to wait and see what the investigation shows up.
    Yep
    ebf, Toby, BRADS and 1 others like this.

What gets me is that DOC are saying snow may have killed them.,well the rock wren lives in an alpine region surely it has evolved to the alpine conditions.
    madmaori and screamO like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Scribe
    When on active service, particularly if my memory serves me correctly before a shitty operation soldiers are reminded of what they are fighting for. One of the principles in particular I am always mindful of is the one "Freedom of Speech".

And yet when the evidence for poisoning looks shady no one wants to talk about it. Prior to a poisoning you cannot get DOC, AHB or Regional Councils to attend meetings or consult with anybody that 1080 is likely to effect. Their operating procedure now is to declare interested parties hostile and refuse to meet or discuss.

Hunters of all people must discuss and keep themselves informed of what is going on, even just to protect their hunting, themselves, their families, their dogs and other people who are not in the same knowledge loop as most of us are

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    What gets me is that DOC are saying snow may have killed them.,well the rock wren lives in an alpine region surely it has evolved to the alpine conditions.
    YEP Dundee, Green snow from the sky.
    Dundee likes this.

TJM
    Personally i'm all for control of so called pests, bearing in mind nearly everything and everyone is an introduced species of some sort !
    i just cant get my head around the mass spread of any dangerous chemical on the country side of what once was supposed to be an unpolluted pristine country with a reputation for fresh clean streams, fresh produce and relatively unpolluted fresh air. Well we will have to wait for nearly 100 years before the over application of fertiliser leaches into the once clear lakes (Taupo is an example)and if the process of fencing off streams and planting their banks with plant life is taken seriously then maybe the effluent from our dairy farms will be reduced and your kids will be able to swim in the streams with out fear of ingesting some bacteria or bug that could potentially kill them? The bush has been changed possibly for good by our grandfathers ( clear felling native trees), deforestation of the land for farming etc etc. The good old possum was introduced originally for the fur trade and at the time i wouldn't mind betting some one got a pat on the back for the potential income that this would have generated at the time?
    I just know that when i have hunted in forest that has been previously been subjected to intensive poisoning from aerial drops there is nothing around, no bird life no deer, pigs and may be the possums are reduced for a few months too. As a hunter i am amazed that some of us can still support poisoning on this scale. But hey this is a free country we are all entitled to an opinion !!

Don't give me shit about dairy farmers! WE PUT UP WITH A LOT OF SHIT!! those sheep and beef farmers graze the rivers with their stock
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

apparently 2 tagged key found dead too. Now the rat numbers have boosted up already, doc and their dirty 1080 are looking worse n worse. big time fail nz

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    apparently 2 tagged key found dead too. Now the rat numbers have boosted up already, doc and their dirty 1080 are looking worse n worse. big time fail nz
    3 dead kea last report. More to be found yet I guess. The average kea deaths in previous 1080 drops is around 25%.
    Last edited by Graeme Sturgeon; 21-01-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Don't worry mate, you're all bloody farmers to me. I was putting forward the opinion the other day that farming should be lumped in with mining, they use diggers, dumpers, dozers and explosives farmers use animals... I bet bloody greenies never considered that I should shut up!
    Some of us framers look at ourselves as caretakers of the land, and hope to hand it on to the next generation better than we got it, how you can compare that with mining I'm not sure?
    I do know that we sure have given a lot of land to Queen Elizabeth Trust, that we have fenced, and planted at our own cost, fenced waterways etc etc
    Yes some farming practices do rape the land ''Dairy" but don't lump us all in together
    I will add that even the dairy boys have really upped there game in the last few years, and like poachers its just a bad few giving the rest a bad name.
    I do no that when I give this game away I can say Ive done my bit to make that land 'better'

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    Todays DOC release claims that there is inconclusive proof a recent 1080 drop in the Kahurangi National Park has killed 25 rare rock wren.
    It makes you wonder is this going to be another cover up?
    Mick Smith is already saying that the use of preventative additives mixed in with the baits is designed to stop the bi-kill of non targeted species. We all know that really works.
    New Zealand Firsts Richard Prosser is calling for a MORATORIUM ON THE USE OF 1080.
    Is it time for the parties involved to be prosecuted if the 1080 drop was responsible for the death of these rock wren.
    I guess we will have to wait and see what the investigation shows up.
    and if you dont drop it a hell of a lot more native species will die.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Lets try and be scientific and not emotive on it shall we.

BTW,

"The "Battle For Our Birds" programme, which began in July, was in response to an unusually large beech flowering season which led to a proliferation of pests such as rats and stoats."
    Last edited by steven; 21-01-2015 at 01:13 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Lets try and be scientific and not emotive on it shall we.

BTW,

"The "Battle For Our Birds" programme, which began in July, was in response to an unusually large beech flowering season which led to a proliferation of pests such as rats and stoats."
    The science of the non target / secondary poisoning is pretty clear, along with statements from the manufacturer that 1080 is being used here in a manner for which it was not intended. It was only meant to be used in bait stations.
    Tommy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Personally i'm all for control of so called pests, bearing in mind nearly everything and everyone is an introduced species of some sort !
    i just cant get my head around the mass spread of any dangerous chemical on the country side of what once was supposed to be an unpolluted pristine country with a reputation for fresh clean streams, fresh produce and relatively unpolluted fresh air. Well we will have to wait for nearly 100 years before the over application of fertiliser leaches into the once clear lakes (Taupo is an example)and if the process of fencing off streams and planting their banks with plant life is taken seriously then maybe the effluent from our dairy farms will be reduced and your kids will be able to swim in the streams with out fear of ingesting some bacteria or bug that could potentially kill them? The bush has been changed possibly for good by our grandfathers ( clear felling native trees), deforestation of the land for farming etc etc. The good old possum was introduced originally for the fur trade and at the time i wouldn't mind betting some one got a pat on the back for the potential income that this would have generated at the time?
    I just know that when i have hunted in forest that has been previously been subjected to intensive poisoning from aerial drops there is nothing around, no bird life no deer, pigs and may be the possums are reduced for a few months too. As a hunter i am amazed that some of us can still support poisoning on this scale. But hey this is a free country we are all entitled to an opinion !!
    Forget all the crap! TJM is 100% correct WE SHOULDNT BE DROPPING POISON ON OUR COUNTRY FOR ANY REASON WHAT SO FCUKEN EVER!!
    Its just bloody WRONG!!!!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Here Here

Hackwell, Forest & Bird, 3 News, Monday 19 Jan 2015:
    “They are insectivorous birds....so they are not going to be interested in eating a 1080 bait”

the following quotes are from Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand – Te Ara

Rock wrens eat a variety of invertebrates, including beetles, spiders, flies, caterpillars and caddisflies. They also eat berries and grass seeds.

The rifleman and the alpine rock wren are the only remaining species of the ancient New Zealand wren family. Five other species – four of them flightless – were made extinct by introduced predators. Feral cats had wiped out the last Stephens Island wren by 1894. The most recent loss was the bush wren. Once widespread, its gradual disappearance went almost unnoticed. It was last seen around 1972.
    Robins and tomtits have large heads, short necks, round bodies and an upright stance. They have short bristles around the bill. Robins have long legs, and are larger than tomtits. All are insectivorous. The oldest known bird lived 16 years, but their life expectancy is three years.

1080 poison is forst and foremost AN INSECTICIDE.
    ROCK WREN EVOLVED IN SNOW, SURVIVE AND LIVE UNDER SNOW ALL WINTER AT HIGH ALTITUDE SO IT IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY THAT A SNOWFALL WOULD KILL THEM--IMHO. They are known to be predated on by stoats. Stoats are carnivores and do not directly take 1080 baits. Any stoat deaths up there after a 1080 drop are more likely to be caused by the stoats eating poisoned rock wrens that have eaten crumbed baits or poisoned insects than by directly eating any baits.
    Dundee and gadgetman like this.