Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Has 1080 by kill struck again

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Wow, theres an excellent argument against 1080. Fuck the birds, just don't kill my deersies?
    My issue with the poison is with the birds.
    One of my favourite areas had the green rain twice in 3? years and hasn't had it in 3-6 (excuse me for not keeping fastidious records of such things)

Deer have recovered,pigs I think were never affected to any degree as with goats.
    Deer have recovered by being fed by adjacent land that was unable to be aerial 1080d.

Bird song/life is still pretty much non existent.

James you are clearly pro and I respect that and I know you get out and about.

My question for you is " have you ever been in never aerial 1080d bush and regularly 1080d bush?"

Because I have and to me the difference is that obvious I cannot understand how any outdoorsman(note I did not use the word hunter,I am getting greener by the year) could possibly support the decimation of our native birds.

It is not saving them(the birds) it is hastening their demise
    Kiwi Greg, gadgetman and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Interestingly enough we recently walked from Torrent bay to Bark bay and the missus remarked how quiet the bush was.
    There was sweet FA bird talkies of any description
    Able Tasman NP was bombed in 2014
    Like VC I don't really care about the deersies they will recover they are survivors but the birds might be not so clever.

However while DOC have $$ for Poison and Choppers they wont be getting any extra $$ from me for anything, they get quite enough from my taxes now

I have no issue with using poisons, 1080 or otherwise just the method of application and the bykill.
    However some people are making a fortune out of involvement so nothing will change its not about possums its about money
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    My issue with the poison is with the birds.
    One of my favourite areas had the green rain twice in 3? years and hasn't had it in 3-6 (excuse me for not keeping fastidious records of such things)

Deer have recovered,pigs I think were never affected to any degree as with goats.
    Deer have recovered by being fed by adjacent land that was unable to be aerial 1080d.

Bird song/life is still pretty much non existent.

James you are clearly pro and I respect that and I know you get out and about.

My question for you is " have you ever been in never aerial 1080d bush and regularly 1080d bush?"

Because I have and to me the difference is that obvious I cannot understand how any outdoorsman(note I did not use the word hunter,I am getting greener by the year) could possibly support the decimation of our native birds.

It is not saving them(the birds) it is hastening their demise
    Thanks Cam, I appreciate that.
    Yes I've been in both situations. I have not noticed enough of a difference to draw any conclusion from. You guys down South do have a few more species than us though. Wren, Kea etc. But, mind you, after the last weekend the irony is that while camping with my family we went to sleep with probably a dozen morepork singing and were woken by Tui and Bellbird. Thats woken, not woke to! All under 3 EPro signs for 3 different poisons (1080) included.
    You also want to know something funny? Im not pro 1080. Neve have been. Not anti either. Many assume Im pro because I have an opinion. I'll take fact every day over emotion and heresy.
    My main beef is twofold (actually threefold).
    Preaching to the choir. Really, the forum is completely the wrong vehicle to have these discussions.
    Every thread has eventually been locked by a mod that has a 1080 theme. They all have gone down the toilet. They are not constructive. There are other forums, with plenty of opportunity to air your concerns.
    As of yet, none of these 1080 threads have enough fact to qualify anything. From both sides. I just can't connect the dots many see as obvious, and then theres the conspiracy theory guys (and girls) who make anyone with half a brain switch off instantly. You've a better chance selling me a 10 year subscription to join Destiny Church. At least they're consistent.

Heres a scary thought. Check out Forest and Bird. If you want to see how its done with slick PR check out the FB page. Rope in a heap of city folk who like the idea but have hardly been in the bush let alone off a track. Just like the lemmings who part with money every year for a Greenpeace bumper sticker or even worse Sea Shepard. Actually the Twig and Tweeters really do quite a bit of sensible stuff outside of the Gareth Morganesque drivel.
    gimp, ebf, Toby and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    If only we could find a way to harness the energy of 10/80 complainers. That seems to be fairly limitless.
    lolllll

Thanks Cam, I appreciate that.
    Yes I've been in both situations. I have not noticed enough of a difference to draw any conclusion from. You guys down South do have a few more species than us though. Wren, Kea etc. But, mind you, after the last weekend the irony is that while camping with my family we went to sleep with probably a dozen morepork singing and were woken by Tui and Bellbird. Thats woken, not woke to! All under 3 EPro signs for 3 different poisons (1080) included.
    You also want to know something funny? Im not pro 1080. Neve have been. Not anti either. Many assume Im pro because I have an opinion. I'll take fact every day over emotion and heresy.
    My main beef is twofold (actually threefold).
    Preaching to the choir. Really, the forum is completely the wrong vehicle to have these discussions.
    Every thread has eventually been locked by a mod that has a 1080 theme. They all have gone down the toilet. They are not constructive. There are other forums, with plenty of opportunity to air your concerns.
    As of yet, none of these 1080 threads have enough fact to qualify anything. From both sides. I just can't connect the dots many see as obvious, and then theres the conspiracy theory guys (and girls) who make anyone with half a brain switch off instantly. You've a better chance selling me a 10 year subscription to join Destiny Church. At least they're consistent.

Heres a scary thought. Check out Forest and Bird. If you want to see how its done with slick PR check out the FB page. Rope in a heap of city folk who like the idea but have hardly been in the bush let alone off a track. Just like the lemmings who part with money every year for a Greenpeace bumper sticker or even worse Sea Shepard. Actually the Twig and Tweeters really do quite a bit of sensible stuff outside of the Gareth Morganesque drivel.
    yeeeeppppp

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    DOC release....
    It makes you wonder is this going to be another cover up?

well

they're doing a shit job then aren't they.

Wow, theres an excellent argument against 1080. Fuck the birds, just don't kill my deersies?
    Actually you have that around the wrong way, I care more for the birds than the deer, I haven't shot a deer in way too long.

Deer recover fast, the birds etc don't....

Same area I wonder if they are still there ?

BTW it has heaps of trap lines all through the area, has had 14 years.

"Our trapping programme covers over 8,000 hectares. We have 22 trapping lines with 1125 trap stations placed every 100 metres (a total of 112 kilometres of trapping lines)"

Same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Same area I wonder if they are still there ?

BTW it has heaps of trap lines all through the area, has had 14 years.

"Our trapping programme covers over 8,000 hectares. We have 22 trapping lines with 1125 trap stations placed every 100 metres (a total of 112 kilometres of trapping lines)"

Same area.

Weka populations are increasing iirc. Yes weka and 1080 exist? that's what your video shows. Studies have shown that weka aren't really featured in bykill

Snails are eaten by rats etc and a photo shell next to a 1080 pellet is a fun implication but meaningless. I see about a billion snail shells in the bush. Shall I take a photo of one next to a native bird and suggest we ban native birds?

What's the area? there might be bird count data to refer to

e: If someone felt the need to drop 1080 with all those traps around either the monitoring showed that the traps weren't doing the job (bad news for the "use trapping for control" theory) or hey maybe the trapping and 1080 have different target species...
    Savage1 and kiwijames like this.

Scribe
    Name:  Wanted.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  195.2 KB

1080 is INHUMANE
    Who Gave DOC, AHB, and Regional Councils the right to torture animals in my name.
    tetawa, TJM and blake like this.

That's a great argument! Well done must have taken a while to think that one up....
    Savage1 and BRADS like this.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That's a great argument! Well done must have taken a while to think that one up....
    Actually it was the RSPCA that came up with the finding. They will prosecute, and the paperwork is available for inspection.

When do the hunters get banned for wounding animals?

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    When do the hunters get banned for wounding animals?
    There isn't a correlation here unless you fail to take steps to end the animals suffering.

Why haven't the RSPCA fought for a prosecution? They do anything to get the average Joe Bloggs.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

The average Joe Bloggs is a much easier target!
    veitnamcam and Dundee like this.