Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Has 1080 by kill struck again

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Wont you all just fuck up
    I have a great button that I can use to that effect.
    res likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I have a great button that I can use to that effect.
    Divisive threads, regardless of the subject matter, are the death of forums.
    How to control that is not a easy path for any mod,as they always have there own opinion like everyone else on the subject at hand.
    Is a divisive thread,or subject,worth the death of the group? Regardless of where the controlling mods stand on the subject.

I'm glad I'm not a mod

I can stand and say I hate 1080,and also say I don't see any compleat solution.
    Right now if the funding was there,and it's not, I would increase trapping with the newish c02 traps and Arial poison the areas that can't for whatever reason can't be trapped. Over time those areas will be reduced. But I don't ever see them being eliminated.

My background?
    I worked for doc,worked with 1080 amongst other things and other projects.
    Left doc because of both $ and the bs, I don't think I could say what was larger in my mind at the time.
    But since then I have worked as a volunteering on pest control projects wherever I have lived.

These threads seem to have a lot of black and white true believers, and the Gray gets drowned out.

I see the value as minimal, when compared to the disruption it causes to the forum it's on.
    Grim and BRADS like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I'd like to see greater use made of the CO2, resetting kill stations that have come on the market. They use poison free baits and can kill 10-15 times before the mini gas canister needs to be replaced. We've just bought one for stoats/rats, as we haven't had any luck catching stoats with anything else.

The possum version can screwed onto the trunk of a tree, out of the way of other animals. The replacement baits and gas canisters don't cost much either. Which is more than I can say about the replacement margarine-container-type poison block that fits in a bait station attached to a tree. Those things are a ridiculous price now. I don't see why the price has gone up? It'll be too expensive to use in any great quantity.

If the gas powered captive bolt killing stations had larger gas cylinders, they'd be useful in bush situations.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Inger View Post
    I
    If the gas powered captive bolt killing stations had larger gas cylinders
    Myself and undoubtedly others have found them easy to adapt to use much larger paintball co2 tanks.
    This greatly increases the cost and heft of the units. While I would like to see this offered as a factory option it has not noticeably increased our activations per man hour-maybe our program needs to evolve more to make better use of the larger tanks.
    Right now,I would prefer a co2 trap that somehow reported back as to its status.
    Using Tapatalk

Scribe
    Trapping is the way to go but the playing field is tilted badly against trappers and traps.

Anyone who has ever taken a kill trap through the Registration and testing processes know just how expensive and how loaded the process is against traps.

A kill trap owner must be able to demonstrate his traps ability to kill three animals. Each animal must have expired in under three minutes from the moment the trap is triggered. This process is carried out under a rigidly controlled regime at a testing facility.

Also the trap must demonstrate it can be made bird safe.

Whereas our two registered 'Aerial Dropped Residual Poisons' can take three days and three weeks respectively to kill an animal.
    Aerial Dropped Residual Poisons, are not pest specific, nor are they selective, they kill all oxygen breathing creatures.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Why is the trapping targeted at the possums death?, What research has been done into live capture in large numbers?, Certainly they are still going to die at the hands of the trapper, but what is the time frame for checking live capture traps?

Somewhere on here is a member trapping extensively who has used the gas resetting traps and found them not to catch unless very high numbers?

I am sure I read it on here?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

My Other Half says that the ability for the unit to report back, would be hindered by the lack of cell phone coverage in most areas where there is a high number of possums.

If there was good cell phone coverage, it should be possible to make a small printed circuit board that connects to the counter which is available for these kill traps. It can then phone home and let you know how many times the unit has fired.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Why is the trapping targeted at the possums death?, What research has been done into live capture in large numbers?, Certainly they are still going to die at the hands of the trapper, but what is the time frame for checking live capture traps?
    Its all legal mumbo jumbo now except for DOC and there supporters

A reminder of rules for the use of leg-hold traps | MPI Biosecurity New Zealand
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Yeah Rite..

Name:  10394102_1578410372373400_8549587530906111480_n.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  28.3 KB
    screamO likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I'd believe science over the ranting antis on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hxo1sC-dU

When you put up the reasons for and against 1080 and leave all of the unsubstantiated BS out of it and look at what would happen without it, it's pretty clear why they use it.

Want to see how much damage deer do to the native forest? Go for a walk in a Northland forest, the difference is like night and day.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'd believe science over the ranting antis on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hxo1sC-dU

When you put up the reasons for and against 1080 and leave all of the unsubstantiated BS out of it and look at what would happen without it, it's pretty clear why they use it.

Want to see how much damage deer do to the native forest? Go for a walk in a Northland forest, the difference is like night and day.
    Surely you 'savage' are not saying that you would condone illegal acts like poisoning deer with 1080.

You do understand that 1080 is not a registered poison to use on Deer control and therefore the person that targets deer with it is committing an illegal act.

Reason being that it delivers a sub lethal doses and is thereby inhumane.

Some science here www.1080science.co.nz

i see more damage by stoats and pigs, then deer or opussums, evidence and noted opinions points to deer doing more good then harm as they have replaced the Moa in the food chain which was missing in the ecosystem for hundreds of years. we humans are the ones fucking the bush it was in perfect balance before any human turned up and thought they knew better then mother nature.
    Kiwi Greg, Gibo and screamO like this.

I have only one thought (sorry i'm simple) I would hate to see anyone banned over any of this. Having an opinion and learning/sharing info is what we are all here for. The anti 1080 people are far less offensive to me than the anti tikka and anti 270 hua's!!

I dont read things if I dont care for them. Simple. I took your advice
    mucko, Gapped axe and time out like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I have only one thought (sorry i'm simple) I would hate to see anyone banned over any of this. Having an opinion and learning/sharing info is what we are all here for. The anti 1080 people are far less offensive to me than the anti tikka and anti 270 hua's!!

I dont read things if I dont care for them. Simple. I took your advice
    You don't get an opinion while you own a tikka .270. go back to your cave
    BRADS and Gibo like this.