Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long range kill damage

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    We did not remove you, as we figured (correctly) you would want to come back. Finding the website, logging in, and posting, is a conscious decision. If you really didnt want to be a member, you would not have gone through that process, would you.

If you disnt like the place, you wouldnt post.
    Tussock old fruit I came back to this forum for two reasons...

1/ To have a bit of a social chat and rest from writing all those hours every day.

2/ To get my name off the membership list.

Re: Long range kill damage

Dont forget to twist your knickers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Tussock old fruit I came back to this forum for two reasons...

1/ To have a bit of a social chat and rest from writing all those hours every day.

2/ To get my name off the membership list.

Don't worry Scribe. I guarantee that most hunters have a reasonable empathy with the animals we hunt. I really like filming them, and also seem to spend more time on the video camera in the maimai. However, I also want to harvest the game for the table. We just have to accept that some people think deeply about the animals/birds, and others couldn't give a shit about them. They just want some meat. Doesn't mean that one point of view makes them superior - like a fly fisherman scorning the threadliner. After all, the animal still dies to provide food for us.
    I also don't particularly like if the graphic photos are used as a brag session, which I feel some were doing, however, there is merit in examining the end results of projectiles and their efficiencies. Don't leave the site just because some people don't like your point of view. Just accept that you have your beliefs and others have theirs which you do not agree with.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Don't worry Scribe. I guarantee that most hunters have a reasonable empathy with the animals we hunt. I really like filming them, and also seem to spend more time on the video camera in the maimai. However, I also want to harvest the game for the table. We just have to accept that some people think deeply about the animals/birds, and others couldn't give a shit about them. They just want some meat. Doesn't mean that one point of view makes them superior - like a fly fisherman scorning the threadliner. After all, the animal still dies to provide food for us.
    I also don't particularly like if the graphic photos are used as a brag session, which I feel some were doing, however, there is merit in examining the end results of projectiles and their efficiencies. Don't leave the site just because some people don't like your point of view. Just accept that you have your beliefs and others have theirs which you do not agree with.
    I am not worried 'lentil" I will devote the time I spend on here to 1080 work though I do enough of that as it is my Wife reconds.

I cannot reconcile my work with 1080 and this forums production of ammunition for the enemy just to throw back into our face.

It is a bit hard to persuade landowners to accept hunting and trapping as a viable alternative to residual poisons like 1080 when I belong to a group like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Not really. The nosler partition would be a good compromise with a decent b.c and solid rear section. The sst has worked well for me with that picture being the exception. But for real long range projectile you need an ecceptional b.c and realatively explody design to ensure expansion at lower velocities. The new monolithic bullet ie barnes gmx ect are indestructable and expand well creating good wound channels and normally always exit even in smaller calibres, but have poor b.cs im sure with technological advances this will change.

Speaking of Barnes BCs, has anyone tried the new LRX's? From what I read they supposed to be the shizzle, they do a 168gr in 7mm but needs a 1:9 tist, i only have a 1:9.5.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Caretaker

Long range kill damage

Give them a try Spudattack, you might be suprised.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

You mite be surprised. Get a sample pack and see if they shoot. Work up to a warm load often a little more speed will sort stability issues. And your only half an inch of the suggested twist anyway

Was very tempted, might just go and do it now! I like the idea of those because at least if you stumble in on a deer a 50 yards you can still be confident they won't just blow up and not penetrate, while still doing the business in terms of BC. Have any of you tried them?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

DAF

Long range kill damage

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Was very tempted, might just go and do it now! I like the idea of those because at least if you stumble in on a deer a 50 yards you can still be confident they won't just blow up and not penetrate, while still doing the business in terms of BC. Have any of you tried them?
    I use the 7mm 145 Gn LRX for 200yards and under in my 7mmSAUM, they shot very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

The amaxs will still kill there just messy up close.i used them exclusively in my 300wsm 155 grainers and they were humming. They killed up close but like I said messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Here are some projectiles pulled out of things, I will take better photos when I go home but for now these should do. there is a shotgun pellet from a goose, 2 .22lr projectiles from turkeys, and a .44Magnum from my uncle, deer dropped on the spot from that shot about 15m away from memory, When he gave me them for my collection he had stroys with each one.

Attachment 3747
    How many dirt banks you kill with these buba ?
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!

Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    I use the 7mm 145 Gn LRX for 200yards and under in my 7mmSAUM, they shot very well.

Why only out to 200yrds? Or am I reading that wrong and you saying they work well under 200yrds? I am currently loading the 150gr ttsx and very happy with them, was more interested in something that would work out a bit further.

DAF

Long range kill damage

Agree they work great, but wanted to reduce the "mess" meat damage a bit

all the mushroomed ones are pulled from animals, those other projectiles dad gave them to me, they have rifling on them but no damage to the projectile it's self pretty strange although im sure there is a logical reason how they got there.
    VIVA LA HOWA

DAF

Long range kill damage

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Why only out to 200yrds? Or am I reading that wrong and you saying they work well under 200yrds? I am currently loading the 150gr ttsx and very happy with them, was more interested in something that would work out a bit further.
    Nothing wrong with them at all, I think they are great, i just found the 162 A - Max was rather spectacular under 200 yards and the Barnes had the same poi out to about 250 yards.