Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long range kill damage

Yeah ok some people like to eat everything on the animal, I do when it comes to venison/pork but the goats roam around here in huge numbers so I just want something cheap but good to kill em
    VIVA LA HOWA

sturg4
    Are you aware Toby that parts of these forums often turn up on various internet sights not connected to hunting.

Yes i am, nothing illegal going on so what is there to be worried about?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Is it good that the lead comes out from the jacket?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    What would a .223 be like damage wise to goats around 100m-200m just using cheap ammo 55gr or something around that? Would they go very far after a good hit in the shoulder? I want a goat gun to add to my collection but I like things with cheap ammo but I dont want to hit things and watch them run to far away.
    I'm not too experienced, but having taken a reasonable number of goats (and roos) with a .223 in the last 6 months or so, here's what I've found -
    I'm now using the Hornady 55gr sp training ammo, and while it's fine for decent chest/shoulder shots out to around 170y or so, I've found that approaching the 200 yard mark and beyond, it simply isn't killing acceptably with those shots.

Admittedly they were big gnarly old goats, but I've found on several occasions ranging from approx 190-220 that a decently placed shoulder, chest, or even neck shot simply wasn't killing the goat. It knocked them down and would likely have killed them eventually, but a few too many times we've gone for the confirmation only to find the goat down but still alive, up to 15 or 20 minutes after. I've only really finalised this conclusion on the last trip, but with that in mind I think I'm going to be restricting myself to headshots only from 180y or so onwards, at least with this ammo.

Thanks for info, how much does that ammo cost?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Is it good that the lead comes out from the jacket?
    Not realy but non bonded bullets are dearer....

I will drag some pics from different cals and pills when I get a chance
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

sometime's I find my projectiles the lead is gone, I will post pics when I go back home of them, Would it take weight of the bullet out if lead comes out making the jacket stop faster?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Thanks for info, how much does that ammo cost?
    $35 per 50 rounds from the local, so works out to 70c per round. Less if you buy it by the brick.

It's a pretty reliable shooter for cheap ammo, sitting right on the MOA mark in my rifle (rem 700).

Oh yeah thats not too bad
    VIVA LA HOWA

Out to how far would a 140gr 7mm08 have the power to kill? Obviously it would depend on the size of the animal and where you place your shot, but lets say its an average sized Red and placing the shot on the shoulder, how far (assuming you could calculate the drop) would you take the shot at? I can't see myself taking any shots further than 250m at the most, but its good stuff to know. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Toby it is like this. You can be like a road ganger swinging a hammer or a surgeon weilding a scapel. How dead do you want to make something...I prefer to eat right up to the bullet hole instead of throwing half an animal away. I have to admit to viewing some of this evidence here with a degree of distaste.
    On reflection, agreed. I pulled my links down from photo-bucket but this place must not be linked because they are still here. Maybe the mods could delete my pics except the top one?
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    Not realy but non bonded bullets are dearer....

I will drag some pics from different cals and pills when I get a chance
    "Bonded bullets are dearer" that should read

The further away you shoot the more explosive you want so they reliably open.... so you either get a massive hole close and kills well at distance or a nice close kill with not tooo much waisted meat and pencil with a slow kill out further.... Will get sonme pic's in 243 and 7mm togeather
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

sturg4
    You understand I am not trying to be an ogre over this. Hunting is under pressure for various reasons...You can imagine how these photo's and associated remarks can be used against us by the Zambian Animal Liberation Front and the Biafran Association of Vegans.

When I bring an animal home considering I have a wife and two daughters I like to present it in its best light. A pinhole looking entry wound. They tend then not to think of an animal suffering. Present a gruesome bullet wound to 50% of the population and they will think animal suffering even if the animals head it torn right off. Human nature really isnt it.

Mutilation...interesting word this.

People can often accept the death of an animal....But death and mutilation, not so, this conjures up bad thoughts in people. So for this very good reason. Projectile manufacturers, Gun manufacturer and various other people in the game shy away from displaying to the public gaze what their weapons are capable of doing to the bambi's of the forest. It would be a public relations nightmare for them.

I could I suppose find pictures and put them up on a sight showing the effect of different calibres and projectiles on the human body. Legally it is probably borderline but the point is some people would regard this as offensive, rightfully so from their point of view, but maybe not from a hardened soldiers point of view. I just think we should realise that a greater number of people than we think find the sight of mutilated animals offensive. We should remember this is a forum that is not exclusive and I can be entered and the material used buy the public.
    300winmag, Dougie, Lentil and 1 others like this.

I fully agree with you, thanks for sharing that, it never crossed my mind, What If we took this whole thing down but started a new one and keep it a little more clean, like keeping the comments of how awesome that huge hole is to pm's or if you ever meet or something, I can see how some animal loving person will take those comments and its their choice although I dont agree with it they can be who they want to be.
    VIVA LA HOWA