Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: Warning Distressing and Disturbing Photographs- 1080 Poison

I have heard this stuff is a residual poison,in that it absorbs into bone tissue not only muscle & soft tissue.Not sure how bio-degradable it is either .The bulk on the animal breaks down but the bone may lay for 20 -30 years or longer.What happens if a dog eats one of these bones? If that's wrong I guess I'll be told but its what I have come to believe about 1080 .

Not sure on the bones Chris but dogs are very prone to secondary poisoning.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    There was a report a few years ago of a dessicated possum carcases falling out of a woolshed roof and bein chawed on by a farmers dog...The dog died and tests on the dog proved positive to 1080 poisoning. It was years since 1080 had being used in this vicinity.
    I hope I am right in saying 7 years.

We use this rule of the thumb....If there is any trace of a bait its poisonous...If there is any trace left of animal killed by it, it poisonous.

We rate 1080 as an extreme residual poison because of its ability to go on killing down through the food chain to at least three levels.

Deer.... Invertebrate.....Native Bird
    Last edited by Scribe; 08-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Shit!.....................stags have been known to gnaw old antlers/bones looking for calcium
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Name:  2012-08-08-0920-35.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  314.4 KB

My Dogs are old hands at this protest game.

This stuff makes me angry.

*Edit*
    Scribe that dog picture reminds me, on that link I put up it recommends to put a muzzle on your dog when you go tramping to keep it from eating anything that has been effected by 1080 to stop your dog from dying. I've got no problem going out for a tramp in a well populated busy area with a cage muzzle on my wee Jet and a jacket sign written that "1080 makes me wear this muzzle". He would be the most convincingly miserable looking pup. WTF eh. Should be provide muzzles for all the deer, kea, everything else that is "mistakenly" dying from 1080???!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Shit!.....................stags have been known to gnaw old antlers/bones looking for calcium
    To true. They do it quite a lot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    This stuff makes me angry.

*Edit*
    Scribe that dog picture reminds me, on that link I put up it recommends to put a muzzle on your dog when you go tramping to keep it from eating anything that has been effected by 1080 to stop your dog from dying. I've got no problem going out for a tramp in a well populated busy area with a cage muzzle on my wee Jet and a jacket sign written that "1080 makes me wear this muzzle". He would be the most convincingly miserable looking pup. WTF eh. Should be provide muzzles for all the deer, kea, everything else that is "mistakenly" dying from 1080???!
    Dougie, not all of your post is showing above. When I have gone to reply to you the rest of what you wrote to Scribe has become visible so I have left it here so that others can see what you wrote.

Anyway, I was wanting to say to you that in my view your anger is what any sane and rational person would feel toward the senseless indiscriminate killing that 1080 causes. The important thing should you choose to do it now, is to channel that anger in a positive way toward opposing the use of this hideous toxin.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    But then we are all likely to pick up our own share of this poison from various other sources.

1994 - Milk from nine poisoned cow got into Kiwi Co-OP Dairies Ltd processing system. The milk got into Kiwi's tanker collection
    . Maf and MOH officials kept the case under wraps until June 11 six weeks after the event. Paul Marra, of Kiwi said the milk was processed into milk powder. (Rural News).

2006 helicopter dropped a full load of pellets in Lake Taupo It was reported to be non-toxic pre feed bait.

Major Alert Child Chews Possum Bait... Rural News.
    Natalie Albert ate a 1080 based cereal bait on Labour day....
    The Turner family were cleaning up a the Otukau Graveyard...
    Mrs Turner said she was still picking up 1080 pellets around the marae on Otober the 31.

1996 10 bulls died from 1080 poisoning after drinking contaminated water. (North Pureora)

2002 At a meeting with the Ruapehu District Council, a local farmer spoke of deaths of his sheep and cattle soon after a previous 1080 drop, Autopsies confirmed 1080 poisoning as the cause of death of the animals. But in the meantime, the farmer had sent other animals from the same herds to the freezing works.

1999 1080 was detected in a processed deer carcase in Blenhiem for the second time in four months (Marlborough Express)

1992 70 deer lost in a Central North Island farm after a 1080 overfly..Of the remaining 48 hinds, only two bred the following season.
    Last edited by Scribe; 08-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Rushy - I really hope I can do something to help.

I am still so flabbergasted that this is happening in our home and has been happening for so long! 80% of the world's 1080 is used in NZ...how is that 100% Pure NZ?

What can we do??
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

There was one man who protested this up until his death even when he was in his last days he camped on Tongariro as a protest and one last effort to get his point across, he was not the most popular man around because of some of the things he did but he was passionate about trying to stop 1080. Chris short we won't forget you or your contribution in the fight against 1080.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    There was one man who protested this up until his death even when he was in his last days he camped on Tongariro as a protest and one last effort to get his point across, he was not the most popular man around because of some of the things he did but he was passionate about trying to stop 1080. Chris short we won't forget you or your contribution in the fight against 1080.
    Yep I remember that. The heightened awareness of the 1080 debate created by the television exposure him being prepared to die on Tongariro played a part in ultimately getting the program "Poisoning Paradise" to air.

Video: Deer mass-poisoned - Taihape farmer speaks out

Deer mass-poisoned - Taihape farmer speaks out - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Video: Deer mass-poisoned - Taihape farmer speaks out

Deer mass-poisoned - Taihape farmer speaks out - YouTube
    Thanks Raging Bull. As always for people viewing this video clip, it is going to be contentious and polarising. My views on 1080 are well known on the forum so it will be no surprise that having watched it I am left feeling further saddened and sngered that we as a nation allow this to occur.

Caretaker
    At tvwild.co.nz there is some great info, footage, and a way we can vote 1080 out of New Zealand
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time