Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: Warning Distressing and Disturbing Photographs- 1080 Poison

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    At tvwild.co.nz there is some great info, footage, and a way we can vote 1080 out of New Zealand
    My vote has been cast. It was good to see that the site was smart enough not to allow me a second vote so the outcome ought to at least be seen to be credible.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

223 votes now!!

Were is the SPCA in all this shame DOC

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    In the Dom Post today

Possum Trapper was convicted and fined $300 plus $353 costs for using illegal leg hold traps.

Judge Hastings said despite possums being a pest there was still the obligation to treat them humanely......

Well what do you think of that then????.
    Was up next to it today and got a big fat cat that did a huge dance and just about pulled out 2 big wire stakes. Luckily I had the trap tied down as well.There were some nice animals in there and I used to glass them quite often.They are going to hammer it again within 4 years. Nice perky job for the chopper.

Ok Guys good to see wild tv getting a spot on here share this link. but most importantly check out the reply Clyde got from the green party

Clyde Grafs Fotos | Facebook

You gotta be shittin me. A load of regurgitated propaganda thinly disguised as a letter.
    mucko likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Were is the SPCA in all this shame DOC

Here is a response I got from the SPCA, basically they don't like it but don't care enough to do anything.

Hello again,

We are aware of this and a national press release was sent out from our office to the media. Please see below:

RNZSPCA Press Release 01/08/12 - SPCA Horrified 1080 Drops Still Killing Deer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    1 August 2012

Recent reports that 1080 drops have killed deer in the Taihape area have horrified the SPCA.

A family in Taihape reported to the SPCA that they had found four deer dead in bush adjoining their property after a notified Animal Health Board 1080 drop. The deer had died in distress, the son of the family saying that the deer he saw had “bashed themselves around and died twisted around, obviously in agony”.

In the past the SPCA has stated that as there is no approval to use 1080 as a deer poison in New Zealand and due to its excruciating effects on deer, all measures should be taken to avoid deer eating the baits. This would involve adding deer repellent to the 1080, adding a further cost to possum control that the Department of Conservation (DOC) sees as unacceptable.

“It is totally deplorable that deer die in agony as a by-kill of possum control simply due to the cost of adding a humane repellent,” says SPCA National CEO, Robyn Kippenberger. “Pest control agencies know they cannot legally use 1080 to control deer numbers but appear to be doing this by stealth.”

DOC asserts that the deer repellent is ineffective but the SPCA is asking for this to be added immediately to future drops, as 1080 drops are scheduled for the West Coast and other areas where deer are prevalent.

“It seems disingenuous of any pest control agency, whether DOC or the Animal Health Board, to count their deer control where 1080 is dropped and then state that these animals are by-kill. 1080 is the ‘driftnet’ of the forest, killing deer, native birds and other animals indiscriminately. This should never be acceptable, particularly animals that die in agony,” Ms Kippenberger added.

The Taihape family noted that although they found four deer dead, they only found one dead possum, the species ostensibly being targeted.

Warnings to dog owners have been posted near 1080 drop sites on the West Coast as the poison is irreversible for dogs that will die a prolonged and agonising death. Any dog affected should be taken to a veterinarian for immediate euthanasia as there is no antidote.

For more information, please contact:

Robyn Kippenberger
    SPCA National Chief Executive
    Royal New Zealand SPCA
    Mobile: 027 419 7722
    Email: ceo@rnzspca.org.nz

And here is the SPCA stance on the use of 1080-

- The SPCA is opposed to the use of 1080 but recognises the need for possum control within NZ, therefore we urge Government to seek more humane alternatives with urgency.

- While it is proven that cyanide is a considerably more humane poison to control possums, the SPCA acknowledges that its application in deeply forested areas is not practical.

- The SPCA is totally opposed to the use of 1080 in the control of wild deer as death in this species has been shown to be agonizing and protracted with significant suffering. It is of deep concern that the Department of Conservation are using this method to control deer numbers as 1080 is not licensed as a poison to control this species.

- As 1080 is not species specific, the SPCA is extremely concerned by the ‘by-kill’ resulting from the application of 1080. It is effectively ‘drift netting' of the forest causing uncounted deaths of both indigenous and introduced species.

- Irrespective of all arguments on both sides of the 1080 debate, scientific evidence proves that most affected animals will die an agonising and likely prolonged death.

- Whilst there is no provision in the AWA 1999 to take action on the poisoning of a ‘pest animal’ amendments to the legislation in July of this year provide for the reckless ill-treatment of any animal. Should an operator be reckless in the application of 1080 (i..e. outside of the designated boundary) and a domestic or production animal suffers unnecessary pain and suffering as a result, the SPCA would consider prosecuting under Section 28A of the AWA 1991.

28A Reckless ill-treatment of animals

* (1) A person commits an offence if that person recklessly ill-treats an animal with the result that—
    * (a) the animal is permanently disabled; or
    * (b) the animal dies; or
    * (c) the pain or distress caused to the animal is so great that it is necessary to destroy the animal in order to end its suffering; or
    * (d) the animal is seriously injured or impaired.
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1)(d), an animal is seriously injured or impaired if the injury or impairment—

* (a) involves—
    * (i) prolonged pain and suffering; or
    * (ii) a substantial risk of death; or
    * (iii) loss of a body part; or
    * (iv) permanent or prolonged loss of a bodily function; and
    * (b) requires treatment by or under the supervision of a veterinarian.
    (3) A person who commits an offence against this section is liable on conviction on indictment,—

* (a) in the case of an individual, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to a fine not exceeding $75,000 or to both:
    * (b) in the case of a body corporate, to a fine not exceeding $350,000.
    Section 28A: inserted, on 7 July 2010, by section 5<http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1999/0142/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM2747709#DLM2747709> of the Animal Welfare Amendment Act 2010 (2010 No 93)

Regards,

(name supplied)

Good info update thanks Pointer. It may be a long time coming but I look forward to the day that sanity finally kicks in and the use of 1080 gets banned after several successful prosecutions. Not holding my breath though.

DO YOU MIND IF I SHARE THAT ON FACEBOOK POINTER. I HAVE ASKED CLYDE GRAF TO COME TO THE FARM IN NOVEMBER WHEN DOC WILL BE BOMBING THE RESERVE BEHIND THE FARM HOPEFULLY FIND SOME SUFFERING ANIMALS AND SEE IF THE SPCA WILL DO THEM. THINKING ABOUT GETTING THE WATER TESTED AS WELL
    veitnamcam likes this.

Mucko feel free to use the offical press release. I don't know where else it is released mind you, could be a 'very quiet' press release

Has anyone thought about setting up a protest in Wellington about the use of 1080? Surely there must be lots more hunters, trampers, animals lovers etc. Make some noise in there faces.

I have been out of the country for a while so this might of already happened. Plus ive only read some of the 9 pages.

fucking heroes arent they. I work in conservation and I'm all for sustainable management but there is no way in hell that should be allowed. 1080 is used on foxes and pigs here but its all tested for years before its used to make sure only target species get it. Still not good enough in my books.

They should hang their heads in shame

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Has anyone thought about setting up a protest in Wellington about the use of 1080? Surely there must be lots more hunters, trampers, animals lovers etc. Make some noise in there faces.

I have been out of the country for a while so this might of already happened. Plus ive only read some of the 9 pages.
    It could have been done, from what I've seen on the telly, the media focuses on people looking slightly alternative.
    Given I'm white, two kids, short hair, with a business degree - they'll not listen to me.

Maybe this could work:
    We could try using social media (facebook, ...) to inform, inspire people to take action against DoC, AHB, regional councils and the government.
    It’s an easy process to share The Graf Boys youTube videos like this one, New Zealand Rivers - The Fight to Keep Them Poison-Free - YouTube to your facebook page and or to pages like New Zealand 100% Pure (https://www.facebook.com/purenewzealand?fref=ts ).

Ideally these videos will go viral and the resulting international public condemnation of the 1080 & Brodifacoum poison madness will stop.

These books are brilliant to help with the understanding that deer and possum are not the evil and the extent to which government agencies/ministries will go to feather their own nests while mislead (deceive) the public.

Dr Graeme Caughley's book "The Deer Wars - The History of Deer in New Zealand", or
    "About Deer and Deer Stalking" by Tony Orman, or
    "The Third Wave - Poisoning the Land" by Bill Benfield

Other videos you might like to share:
    Poisoning Stewart Island - updated version, including marine impact - YouTube
    Deer mass-poisoned - Taihape farmer speaks out - YouTube
    Poisoning Paradise. Shocking 1080 Documentary - YouTube

Good luck

Its scary when hunters and greenies both want the same thing, but when they do I think you really need to step back and think

"Fuck this might actually be something important that we as deadshit bureaucrats should pay attention to, who knows it could even get us elected " - too far? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Its scary when hunters and greenies both want the same thing, but when they do I think you really need to step back and think

"Fuck this might actually be something important that we as deadshit bureaucrats should pay attention to, who knows it could even get us elected " - too far? haha
    Will never happen

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.