Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    We have NZ's biggest 10/22 fanboy right here. Calm down bro - the thread is about the worst firearm you have ever owned.... for a lot of people that is a 10/22. Don't take it personally
    I think you should attack the topic, not the person. in any event your attack is misplaced. I have said repeatedly that I think 10/22 is inaccurate and overpriced. I have no problem with many people finding 10/22 to be the worst gun they had - it would be a natural consequence of having the largest number in the pool. I am merely trying to give a balanced view that to improve accuracy does not cost "twice the cost of the gun".

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post

No. It just means that the shops push the Ruger more in order to make more money.
    you are putting the cart before the horse. how do you make more money if the market does not want to buy it? Your theory is fundamentally incompatible with the current economic theory of supply and demand. in the same vien, would you suggest the reason Tikka T3 is the most popular bolt action centrefire because shops get more profit from selling Tikka T3 than other guns? and cannot possibly be that T3 is the most popular gun in the eyes of the consumers?

We used to mainly buy British cars here. Was it because they were great? No, they leaked oil, most needed a recondition at about 80,000km, ... It was because it was all that was available due to trade agreements.
    You have already acknowledged that it is not analogous then why make this analogy? British cars were the only option because of the trade agreement. But has there ever been a trade agreement with Ruger to not sell Marlin and Norinco and CZ semis in New Zealand?

Those are the people the gun shops like. They don't know any better and are therefore easily persuaded into buying something that isn't the best for what they really want to do.
    Be that as it may, the point is simply that there is a large body of consumers who do not turn their minds to the more nuanced analysis and would just settle for the more "robust" product. This is not just the case for guns, the same goes for many other types of products. Corolla has never been the fastest, or the cheapest, or the most economical, or the most stylish small car. It is reliably and robust. People can go on years without proper service and maintenance schedules and they would still run. An European car owner may well say that is not the right way to treat a car, my fiat which I service once every 6 month or 3000 km has just been reliable.... yet Corolla is the most popular small car in New Zealand. Fiat is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    you are putting the cart before the horse. how do you make more money if the market does not want to buy it? Your theory is fundamentally incompatible with the current economic theory of supply and demand. in the same vien, would you suggest the reason Tikka T3 is the most popular bolt action centrefire because shops get more profit from selling Tikka T3 than other guns? and cannot possibly be that T3 is the most popular gun in the eyes of the consumers?
    The big appeal to kick the T3 market off was a marketing ploy. They simply put in a guarantee of accuracy. When you look at the guarantee is states that it is guaranteed to shoot the factory load at the factory range and achieve a certain result, making the guarantee useless anyway. It is also the appeal of European/Scandinavian quality. That kicked off the momentum and the NZ company that imports them promoted them well.

You have already acknowledged that it is not analogous then why make this analogy? British cars were the only option because of the trade agreement. But has there ever been a trade agreement with Ruger to not sell Marlin and Norinco and CZ semis in New Zealand?
    I did not say there was no analogy, quite the opposite. You will find that there is a trade agreement between a New Zealand wholesaler and and overseas supplier. A lot depends on how well the guys at our end promote products. What I was pointing out was that sometimes the market is driven by what is put in front of consumers and that the guys dealing with the Marlins have been lax here.

Be that as it may, the point is simply that there is a large body of consumers who do not turn their minds to the more nuanced analysis and would just settle for the more "robust" product. This is not just the case for guns, the same goes for many other types of products. Corolla has never been the fastest, or the cheapest, or the most economical, or the most stylish small car. It is reliably and robust. People can go on years without proper service and maintenance schedules and they would still run. An European car owner may well say that is not the right way to treat a car, my fiat which I service once every 6 month or 3000 km has just been reliable.... yet Corolla is the most popular small car in New Zealand. Fiat is not.
    The trouble is that with a lack of promotion the consumer has unwittingly settled on the less robust product here manly through lack of knowledge/choice. As far as vehicles go the Marlin would equate well to a Corolla in price and function. Just imagine if Toyota NZ decided we didn't need cars that size here and didn't import and promote them?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

northdude

You make the money buy selling someone a piece of crap but if then you buy this and this and this you'll end up with a really good piece of shit because hey look at all the accessories its got to make it perform
    gadgetman and Steve123 like this.

I think Gadgetman my friend, we have fundamentally different view of how the market works. I believe in free market, I believe that while marketing has its place, ultimately the consumers know what they want. you appear to believe that whatever market share each product has is the result of better or worse marketing strategy and merit plays a small (or non-existent) part. that view, to me, is almost like a conspiracy theory, so we will just have to accept that we disagree.

"The trouble is that with a lack of promotion the consumer has unwittingly settled on the less robust product here manly through lack of knowledge/choice. As far as vehicles go the Marlin would equate well to a Corolla in price and function. Just imagine if Toyota NZ decided we didn't need cars that size here and didn't import and promote them?"

Exactly what the Globalist Freemarket rseholes at GM and Ford have decided with denying us Falcons and Commodores. And exactly the same with what we listen to on the radio
    gadgetman likes this.

I think Gadgetman my friend, we have fundamentally different view of how the market works. I believe in free market, I believe that while marketing has its place, ultimately the consumers know what they want. you appear to believe that whatever market share each product has is the result of better or worse marketing strategy and merit plays a small (or non-existent) part. that view, to me, is almost like a conspiracy theory, so we will just have to accept that we disagree.
    We have a freeish market. There are a few bigish fish in our small pond that import these things. They have agreements with overseas suppliers that they will be the only ones the supplier will supply in our country, same thing happened in the PLB market with RescueMe. It is difficult for many to work around these restrictions. Not that hard to understand when you look at it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Believing that marketing doesn't make a big difference to sales volumes seems pretty naive to me. Based on your own supply/demand reasoning, if the marketing didn't work then companies wouldn't be spending so much money on it.

To use the car analogy - most of the European manufacturers market themselves in NZ as 'premium' products, with prices inflated accordingly. In Europe most of their range are taxis and sales rep cars, its only the top models that are 'premium'. But its 'German quality!' and thats good right? Not necessarily reflected by real-world data, but the marketing departments keep pushing that line and enough people hear it often enough to maintain the idea in general public perception.

Marketing strategies work on a large enough number of people to make a big difference.
    gadgetman, Steve123 and keneff like this.

Another angle on the Marlin / Ruger subject are the people in our shops that sell these products.
    I have walked into many different sports shops over years . Every time I ask about what semi auto .22 do you recommend straight away they say 10/22. As soon as I elude to the fact I am pretty knowledgeable on the subject and I know they are generally inaccurate POS then the story changes.
    A lot of people that walk into these stores are very much in the salesman hands, if some twat dressed in a Camo shop uniform tells them it's the shit then it must be the shit.
    On the flip side if that's all that whole salers are bringing in and you have a very limited choice then what the hell else can you recommend to a customer ?
    gadgetman and GravelBen like this.

R93
    I have used a few 10/22 over the years and had no issues that I can remember. All functioned and shot well enough for what they were used for, but I have never owned one.
    I do own both a marlin 795 for my kids and a 60 Deluxe that I don't share😆.
    Both are as accurate as I will ever need in a .22
    I find the tube mag the only con with the 60. It holds 15 Which sort of makes up for it but it is time consuming compared to a detachable mag.

If I was looking for competition type accuracy I would own something else in a manual action.

Worst firearms I have owned were a Ruger M77 ultralite and a Model 7 Remington.
    Both were accurized and had extra coin spent on them to be able to shoot half decent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

not really he worst but scared the living hell out of me. tokarev svt40 (7.62x54R)
    filled the mag, cycled the bolt. pulled the trigger and burst fire. mag empty real quick. solved by repairing a home gunsmithing repair
    gadgetman and res like this.

That must have been one of the rare selective fire models, as you found out it was not a resounding sucess.

I think you should attack the topic, not the person. in any event your attack is misplaced. I have said repeatedly that I think 10/22 is inaccurate and overpriced. I have no problem with many people finding 10/22 to be the worst gun they had - it would be a natural consequence of having the largest number in the pool. I am merely trying to give a balanced view that to improve accuracy does not cost "twice the cost of the gun".
    I repeat: calm down bro - there is no attack in what I said.
    Balanced view in this thread isn't required: by it's very nature if a large number of people think the 10/22 is the worst they have had, it will be unbalanced.
    Calm down - go hunt or shoot something; not everyone on the internet is going to tell you what you want to hear.
    mudgripz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    I repeat: calm down bro - there is no attack in what I said.
    Balanced view in this thread isn't required: by it's very nature if a large number of people think the 10/22 is the worst they have had, it will be unbalanced.
    Calm down - go hunt or shoot something; not everyone on the internet is going to tell you what you want to hear.
    While I said mine one shoots minute of rabbit out to 90 yards, my mates one could only hit a 2 litre milk bottle 2/5 times. I put it down to his shit shooting. Only mods done to mine is $30 trigger polish/lighten. But in saying that, never really changed anything

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    While I said mine one shoots minute of rabbit out to 90 yards, my mates one could only hit a 2 litre milk bottle 2/5 times. I put it down to his shit shooting. Only mods done to mine is $30 trigger polish/lighten. But in saying that, never really changed anything
    Mine had a backwards barrel. About 2 inches in front of the chamber it tightened up to about .20 to .21 then about an inch later went out to .23. (clearly made last thing friday evening before knock off). It meant that the bullet was swaged down just after leaving the chamber and barely touched the rifling after that. Made it a 3" barrel with a 12 inch solid steel flash suppressor / front weight. Had they turned the barrel around and chambered the other end the barrel would have tightened up at the muzzle and possibly been a real tack driver.....