Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Oh - I should add Parker Hale 243 to my list. My first centrefire back in the day - not too well made and super sloppy bolt like the midlands. Sold it very quick..

Ruger 10/22 deluxe
    Only mediocre accuracy
    Jammed about once or twice every box of 50 so impossible for Din Collings to fix.
    Only one bedding screw ! ? Unable to free float. Had to tip bed with cork. Still not accurate.
    Bolt lock open mechanism not intuitive so could never just hand it to someone in the dark and let them have a shot. Requires 5 min training and practice before its useable.
    Being a semi auto it was always loaded when least needed ie straigt after shooting an animal.
    Sold it to buy a norinco which was perhaps no more accurate but much more useable.

Second worst was an 189x vintage .303. At that age it probably started as a Lee Metford I believe and would ve been rebarrelled shortly aftrr the turn of the last century. From the $100bin at a shunned city shop.
    Shot 2 ft high at 50 and not adjustble down without new foresight. Bullets evaporated shortly after that. Did kill a goat with it at 80 once using 5A aperture but seldom hit paper.
    At anzac day shoot headspace was found out of range and not allowed to use it.
    Swapped to an engineer mate for a pair of dodgy strapless crampons as a collectors item. Never used the crampons but pleased to be rid of it.
    AzumitH and rockland like this.

Same as gagetman a zastava in the plastic fantastic stock, stock touched one side of the barrel would shoot two groups 3-4 inches apart at a hundy. Rasped the barrel slot out to free float it, stiffened it with a fibreglass rod and bedded the action in epoxy. Shoots half inch now. Light, small and the trigger is a gem. Gets more use than the 22 now its supressed.

northdude
    I recon those zastavas are under rated
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Worst I ever owned was a Remington 597 semi-auto. Worked flawlessly and uber accurate until the day it stopped working as a semi-auto and became a slow, single shot. Bang, dump mag, clear chamber, reload, cycle bolt, bang. Rinse and repeat. Numerous rabbits lived to root for another day because of all of the jams.

My 10/22 is fine. Doesn't shoot tiny groups to post on the internet and brag about, but works flawlessly and is accurate enough to hit things. There isn't a better semi-auto .22 in my opinion, the others all have their own glaring flaws
    kawhia, bully, BRADS and 9 others like this.

Every custom rifle I've owned has been plagued with delays, problems and ultimately much more expensive and less functional than imagined when first conceived.
    Ground Control and Shearer like this.

northdude
    Some of them seem to be designer turds
    puku likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Some of them seem to be designer turds
    It 100% depends on the " gunsmith" putting them together.

Some seem to assemble and ship them off to their owner, with zero after thought.

Other "designer/builders" actually care about the new rifles owner and follow up with decent phone conversations, potential/actual load data and helpful observations.

Actually caring about your customer is 99% of the job i reckon, adjusting/creating wood and metal is the easy part.

Do your homework -then make your choice wisely.
    puku, gadgetman, mikee and 4 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    My 10/22 is fine. Doesn't shoot tiny groups to post on the internet and brag about, but works flawlessly and is accurate enough to hit things. There isn't a better semi-auto .22 in my opinion, the others all have their own glaring flaws
    Fuck me....you can't have tried many Gimp, classic line . Mind you in all fairness maybe you got lucky, the one's I ve seen literally couldn't hit a 20 paint tub at 50mtrs with any certainly.

+1

I was just thinking that

First requirement for a rifle is accuracy and here the ruger falls over instantly. PS have owned 6 10/22s and benched many more.
    After bench testing well over 100 .22LR makes/models, ruger 10/22 consistently least acurate. But.....occasionally you do get one with a good barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Fuck me....you can't have tried many Gimp, classic line . Mind you in all fairness maybe you got lucky, the one's I ve seen literally couldn't hit a 20 paint tub at 50mtrs with any certainly.
    My mate must've got lucky too. It shot minute of hare/rabbit/possum without many jams. Used it myself for a bit it was all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BRADS, Beaker and Carpe Diem like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Without a doubt, this one,Tc Icon, beautiful rifle, stock was much better than the photo, 308 and what 308 won't shoot, even Alan Newnham couldn't get it to shoot consistanly So we gave up on it and I sent it out to the big wide T/M webb.
    That was some years ago, I wouldn't do that now, I'd take it back to the shop.
    Name:  Icon Rifle.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  108.1 KB
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My 10/22 was the bike rifle, always in the rack, got dropped, run over a few times and generally not looked after. Action cleaned maybe once a year. Fussy on ammo, likes win powerpoint 40 gr everything else odd jam. Shoots into 2 inches at 50 metres. Only time it shoots like shit is if i clean the barrel then it takes 50 or so to settle back down.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Without a doubt, this one,Tc Icon, beautiful rifle, stock was much better than the photo, 308 and what 308 won't shoot, even Alan Newnham couldn't get it to shoot consistanly So we gave up on it and I sent it out to the big wide T/M webb.
    That was some years ago, I wouldn't do that now, I'd take it back to the shop.
    Attachment 53781
    Alans a great guy, that must have pissed him off not a lot stumps him in my experirnce