Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Were the old 10/22s better made? Dads got one that shoots pretty well and Im guessing it is about 40 years old, it originally had a shotgun type bead sight on it. Never had feeding or ejection problems, only thing its done bad was picking up and firing a second round with Whinchester subs, quick clean and it hasnt done that again either.

Remmington Sendero SF2

bolt jammed when fired, got it fixed a few times and had a stack of excuses why it was fucked. all but 'remmington has no quality control' anyway.

never again.

Aarghh forgot a good one, norino 223 could work the bolt fine when empty but chamber a round and it would jam with a live round in it, could raise bolt but not pull t back, had two trips to the gunsmith and still misbehaved. Didn't like smacking the bolt down with the stock on The ground and the barrel pointing upwards so it got ditched

The most rifle sold...... through the same shop to locals , was this 30-06 Remington pump .The shop owner made so much money from this rifle I guess he wish he had more of them. I didn't matter how you held it on your shoulder it kicked you in the jaw. 130 - 180 grain rounds in it it still booted like shit .Its a type of rifle you give to friends to use while hunting because if they fire at a deer and miss they would remember there jaw before missing the deer .To make it worth while you would only have 180 grain ammo available
    After you had been kicked in the jaw a few time like most rifle was traded for a new one.

I had a new 30/30 lever action Marlin from Gun City. It drifted all over the place as the barrel heated up. So to zero it you could take two shots. And then had to go home and come back another day when the barrel had returned to an unwarped state. I was always blaming myself for the lack of accuracy. But I got to put it in the hands of one of Otago's best shooters. He took six shots, handed the gun back to me with a smile and said 'you're not the problem'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Were the old 10/22s better made? Dads got one that shoots pretty well and Im guessing it is about 40 years old, it originally had a shotgun type bead sight on it. Never had feeding or ejection problems, only thing its done bad was picking up and firing a second round with Whinchester subs, quick clean and it hasnt done that again either.
    I think they were. A mate had a fully suppressed one years ago that was really good. Accurate as and cycled flawlessly so I got one as my first rifle but nowhere near as good. It's ok but I was expecting more from it.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Aarghh forgot a good one, norino 223 could work the bolt fine when empty but chamber a round and it would jam with a live round in it, could raise bolt but not pull t back, had two trips to the gunsmith and still misbehaved. Didn't like smacking the bolt down with the stock on The ground and the barrel pointing upwards so it got ditched
    I'm pleased I didn't buy the wife one then. It was being considered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I think they were. A mate had a fully suppressed one years ago that was really good. Accurate as and cycled flawlessly so I got one as my first rifle but nowhere near as good. It's ok but I was expecting more from it.
    Mine is about 30 years old must be a real good one groups 1 inch at 100 and never had any issues loves CCI and WIN subs, bunnies don't
    Steve123 likes this.

Worst? Nagant Cavalry Carbine. HORIBLE auction, no ergonomics, huge recoil, terrible trigger, not even barn door accuracy. Blown up by driving it barrel first into the ground and loaded with some hot .308 reloads (yest they will chamber)... used a piece of string to fire it.. took a few (ok so they are strong).
    Second Remington Model 597 (new) jam-o-matic inaccurate. Gone
    Dishonorable mention dare I say it - .303 LE. loud action horrible trigger and maybe I just prefer Mauser actions?

Never had a standard 10/22, mine is made up with Kidd barrel and shoots flawlessly and accurately.
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm ackley View Post
    Mine is about 30 years old must be a real good one groups 1 inch at 100 and never had any issues loves CCI and WIN subs, bunnies don't
    I'll have to take both 22's out to the range and properly test sometime. Just need a day with bugger all wind.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    The most rifle sold...... through the same shop to locals , was this 30-06 Remington pump .The shop owner made so much money from this rifle I guess he wish he had more of them. I didn't matter how you held it on your shoulder it kicked you in the jaw. 130 - 180 grain rounds in it it still booted like shit .Its a type of rifle you give to friends to use while hunting because if they fire at a deer and miss they would remember there jaw before missing the deer .To make it worth while you would only have 180 grain ammo available
    After you had been kicked in the jaw a few time like most rifle was traded for a new one.
    i had a mossturd maveric that use to smack you in the cheek every time you fired it it was reliable tho

This thread has certainly generated some discussion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caretaker

The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Same old rifles rearing their ugly heads though

I used a maverick 88 to shoot 12,500 white gold rounds one bird scaring season at morton estate wines where i managed 220 hectares of merlot/cab sav and viognier grapes, and lost count of how many times i rebuilt the thing

And i have had 10/22T models and Volqhartsen models before the factury burnt in the states and accuracy was below poor.

Sometimes cheap gear does nothing to enhance the outdoor experience and is best avoided.
    rossi.45 likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

northdude
    i think a lot has to do with what your expectations are for what you paid

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Same old rifles rearing their ugly heads though

I used a maverick 88 to shoot 12,500 white gold rounds one bird scaring season at morton estate wines where i managed 220 hectares of merlot/cab sav and viognier grapes, and lost count of how many times i rebuilt the thing

And i have had 10/22T models and Volqhartsen models before the factury burnt in the states and accuracy was below poor.

Sometimes cheap gear does nothing to enhance the outdoor experience and is best avoided.
    Did Ruger switch to new tooling/factory at some point?

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk