Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    I'm not a hater, I see some beauty in all the guns I've had.

Just like women - some are pigs, some are just completely useless, some ya wish you could just return & others you wish ya never'ed fingered in the first place, but they're all special in their own way
    You are are a true poet and philosophy major.

Worst for me was a glock 17. ...... the most uncomfortable pos that has been been made.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Ruger 22/45 MkIII — what the heck kind of precision firearm requires a "rubber or wooden mallet" to facilitate fieldstripping?

I must've got myself a good 10 22. I don't hesitate to take shots out to 90 odd metres. The other night both my boys got hares at 75 and 95 metres. Luck probably played a part, but 2 for 2 tells me it shoots not to bad. It's only got the 4x32 scope it came with and I vary the height by either telling them bottom, middle or top of head. Can count the number of jams on fingers, not needing thumbs. The last couple have been lumps of wax on the projectile.
    My worst is my current BSA. The bolt flops around and doesn't always pick up the 3rd cartridge, who needs to fire 3 shots in a hurry. The trigger needs lightening, and a better scope would be nice. It has spent the last 4 yrs gathering dust, but have tried to like it again. I've just suppressed it, and replaced the butt pad. It shoots animals better than paper. It's going to get another chance or else out it goes
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    not once you get them tidied up or put in a yo dave kit!
    then they are just accurate!
    To be honest the Marlin Mod 60 I had briefly wasn't particularly accurate, but I believe most of them are. It might have just been a bit old/tired (and not helped by the heavy factory trigger), still hit rabbits but I don't think I ever had under 1" at 50yds from it.

I'd still be tempted to try another at some stage though if I see one at the right price, so its good to know about the trigger mods. How does the trigger compare with a Savage accutrigger once its done? (thats what I compare triggers to for reference as its what I'm most used to)

sks sucks balls good fun but being an x target shooter old habits die hard and if its not accurate its not worth haveing
    mudgripz likes this.

Quite pleased to see none I've owned are on the list! But as we all know everyone makes duds and f-k ups from time to time
    GravelBen likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Two rules I believe in when buy any sort of gear.

1, do the research first.
    2, while you do not always get what you pay for, the lowest cost stuff is generally low end stuff.

By adhering to rule 1, I have so far avoided buying any bad guns. So I consider myself fairly lucky in that regard. I have had a JW15. It was definitely not a gun better than its price would suggest, poor trigger job, rough bolt, average to poor accuracy (althought I am sure there are many even less accurate gun around).

I have a factory 10/22. Its accuracy was average (actually no worse than the JW15). After a barrel upgrade it is as accurate as my other KIDDs.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post

I have a factory 10/22. Its accuracy was average (actually no worse than the JW15). After a barrel upgrade it is as accurate as my other KIDDs.
    Hard to fairly compare a Kidd to a std 10/22, even putting a kids barrel on over doubles the cost of the rifle.

I have a Kidd supergrade, amazing rifle but it's not really a 10/22- twin lugged action bedded into a dinner glass stock with a free floated barrel threaded in. Blindingly accurate but I could buy 8?10? 10/22 for the price.
    Savage1 and Tommy like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Not a worst firearm ever owned but a near miss.
    I bought an AR 22lr upper (CMMG Evo) off Trademe with 3x 15rnd mags.
    I was so excited until I used it and found it couldnt go 5 rounds (sometimes less) without a fail to feed, fail to extract or jam a live round vertically into the underside of the charging handle.
    After a few nights of cursing and scouring the internet - I found that the solution was to polish the feed ramp and the bolt rails and give the chamber a gentle buff.
    It now runs flawlessly (much to my relief).
    If the internet is to be believed even CMMG admitted that this was common and the finish was horrible as they cut QC to get more units out the door.
    Happy now but without a tidy up it was an absolute dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    I had a Magnum Research semi auto in 17 HMR: that piece of shit nearly cost me my right eye.
    It would jam every second shot, eject prematurely (hence the near eyesight mishap) and threw an ejector pin, jammed and blew the next shell up on the back of the one jammed in the breach. Took it into the local gunshop who mistakenly contacted the Ruger agent (as it was a clone using the Ruger 10/22 Magnum 9 shot Rotary Mag) and they were very interested as to its origin. Anything semi auto in 17 HMR I will piss on sooner than shouldering it. This rifle looked the business, but was a complete POS and was unusable. I was better off chucking my boots at the intended target.
    savage/stevens now has a reliable one using a 2 stage blowback, the 17hmr is just too high pressure for normal blowback. apparently they shoot well but having held one it feels very light and flimsy

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    savage/stevens now has a reliable one using a 2 stage blowback, the 17hmr is just too high pressure for normal blowback. apparently they shoot well but having held one it feels very light and flimsy
    Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned - a 22 is cheap to spray a heap of ammo around in a semi-auto. With a 17 I would rather be selective with my shooting & use a bolt action.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    blue and wood 10/22 is 600. The barrel upgrade was a whistlepig. cost me about 400 I think, about 2/3 the price of a super low end 10/22. A KIDD barrel is about 430 to 560 (see USAguns), still not quite twice the price of a 10/22.

a supergrade KIDD is about 2,000, three times the price of a 10/22. not bad at all considering the price difference of a Annie 1712 and a JW15.

res
    When I got a quote for insurance on the supergrade it came back at over 3k (I laid well under two on trademe)and have bought several new 10/22 for $395 with plastic stocks.

Your saying your 10/22 cost $1000ish, 2.5x the basic cost of base model 10/22. Hardly apples with apples
    Savage1 and jbanger like this.
    Using Tapatalk

northdude
    Yea but an Annie doesn't need twice what you paid for it to make it shoot

Wink

Worst I ever got was a Savage Stevens semi auto 22. One with a tube mag that was effectively a single as it would not feed no matter what I did. It went to the gunsmith and he had a go at sorting it out. It was still shit. Gunsmith said to drop it off at the local Gun city next time you come to town and I wil pick it up from them. So off I went to the local gun city with it in my gunbag. While waiting for the assistant to become available I had a little nosey at the brand new Norinco JW27 22s that were on display. After a few minutes the assistant noticed me looking at the Norincos and asked ' Whats in the bag?" I replied "A Savage Stevens semi auto" he asked to have a quick peek, which I had no problem with. (Presumed he wanted to check it was unloaded and safe etc) I had not said anything else as they were not addressing the fault, merely a drop off point for the Gunsmith. Before I could even bring up what I was there for, he said " I will do you a straight swap for one of those JW27s but I dont want the rubbish scope you have on it." (It was merely a brand he had never heard of). Without giving him time to change his mind I replied " Done, And I can fit the scope if you just take it off" and I walked out with brand new Norinco. I have had that now for over 25 years and shot many many bricks through it and it is one of the best rifles I have ever had.

I have never felt any guilt over it. If he had not assumed I was there to sell and I know he thought he was getting a good deal, then that his his fault for not at least asking why I was there......