Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: The WORST Firearm You Ever Owned

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    He is a great chap, he did a lot of very successful load development on a number of rifles for me before I took it up myself

I've no doubt it possibly could have been made right but there were plenty more rifle out there and it was my choice not to carry on.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Shoots into 2 inches at 50 metres. Only time it shoots like shit is...
    I guess everyone has different expectations - I wouldn't be happy with a rifle that groups 2" at 50m. My 22s are usually around 0.5-0.75" at that distance, and I expect a more consistent target shooter could do better than me with them.

I have a mate with a 10/22 who I thought wasn't a very good shot because he missed so many rabbits. Then he bought a Zastava 17hmr to go with it, doesn't miss much with that one!

I had a Savage 204 varminter (truck axle barrel etc) for a while that would mostly group semi-ok, but threw random unpredictable fliers. After a whole lot of messing around it eventually turned out the problem was a damaged crown from the previous owners horrible bodged up threading job... got it recrowned and it pumped out pretty consistent half inch groups. But it still weighed about 3 tons, so I sold it for a more normal hunting weight rifle that shoots just as well.
    mudgripz, Dougie, Beaker and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I guess everyone has different expectations - I wouldn't be happy with a rifle that groups 2" at 50m. My 22s are usually around 0.5-0.75" at that distance, and I expect a more consistent target shooter could do better than me with them.
    Same thoughts here, targets are smaller (rabbits) and that would possibly mean a 50yard bunny is only a 50/50 shot.

Getting into needing to be 20yards or closer, for me, would rather use the bow. Or toss knives.

Not a dig just personal opinion. My .22 shoots better in hands other than mine but I'm still >1.5MOA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and viper like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yep 2" groups at 50m would be down the road immediately.

Criterion for keeper 22s in my closet is sub 0.5" at 50m and there are quite a few inexpensive makes/models that will deliver that - and consistently.

Kimber montana in 260rem.... Wouldnt group under 4 inches off a benchrest at a 100m despite trying a variety of different projectiles and weights. With a full magazine, if you cycled the bolt it would go straight over the top of the round without picking it up. Not what you want from a new factory rifle.......

My first Hi Power rifle a Parker Hale 303 with Nikko Stirling 4x scope I bought in the early 70's, missed my first 4 deer with it then sold it and bought a Parker Hale Hassar 270 and shot my first deer on the first outing.
    There are a lot of members who have a lot of trouble with 10/22's which is odd, I have had a few and still have my late father-in law's one and it shoots well and doesn't jam very often. The 10/22 was ideal for my work when we night shot off motor bikes. No mag protruding to get hung up when pulling it out of scabbard. I wore one out in the first years on the pest board, the action became so sloppy it jammed and miss feed a lot, this took a lot of rounds before this happened. I used to clean mine about every 5000 rounds which was quite often back then.
    They probably aren't as accurate as a lot out there but they are certainly adequate for Rabbits etc out to 80 odd meters.

Stick with the EM332 Mauser, something not right with the trigger group . My mate who is a super fussy wanker reckons his one is unreal accuracy and not by Chink standards but all standards and he has had HKs, Ansultz, Mod 2 burno's etc.
    Get the trigger sorted mate, will be a very good shooter
    mudgripz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Stick with the EM332 Mauser, something not right with the trigger group . My mate who is a super fussy wanker reckons his one is unreal accuracy and not by Chink standards but all standards and he has had HKs, Ansultz, Mod 2 burno's etc.
    Get the trigger sorted mate, will be a very good shooter
    Nah, he should flog it off to some unsuspecting muppet for a song. I'm first in line and I don't suspect anything. I'll just warm up my voice.

Would love to add one of those to the safe.
    Beaker and res like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

10/22 - terrible trigger, average to poor accuracy...common theme I see!
    See the unseen...

Quote Originally Posted by Nesika View Post
    10/22 - terrible trigger, average to poor accuracy...common theme I see!
    Yip, the Marlins have a terrible trigger too but at least they're accurate.

Marlin 38/357 would not cycle, previously a mossberg which had a silencer thread glued on,? It snapped when I leant it against a wall
    rossi.45 likes this.

I had a Marlin semi auto .22 in the mid 80's. Some of the internals appears to be stamped and wore so the thing would not release the bolt, then it would self release and became too dangerous. I tried fixing the #!!**#! thing but turned it into fully auto. For a bit of fun, I cut the barrel off, removed most of the woodwork and had a 'pirate gun' on my boat. Fortunately after some fresh sea air and another brrrttt experience, I thought WTF am I doing?? Pulled it to bits and flung it bit by bit into the sea between Waihi Beach and Mayor Island. Damned dangerous bit of kit was that.

Just a re-centering of this thread guys, this is not a slag off of other guys firearms and is not a defense thread for guys who's current weapons may be mentioned. Just mean to be a light hearted thread on the Dud's that no doubt all of us have owned at one stage or another , enjoy the topic , there have been some classic reply's , fuck me I wish all mine gun buy's were gems, I think my standards are high but 30% were shitters.
    Thanks for the great and very very entertaining reply's ..... I don't feel like the only one bent over with his pant's round his ankles on some purchase's

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Yip, the Marlins have a terrible trigger too but at least they're accurate.
    That is an easy DIY fix though for the price of an old floppy (maybe grub screw or epoxy putty) and about 15 minutes.
    GravelBen likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My Remington 783 didn't like to pick up rounds from the mag, close the bolt and it wouldn't chamber, had to hold the mag up in the magwell for it to catch