Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Sorry about the late reply El B, was away chasing stags for the weekend.

What to say about Betty? Runs, hunts, points, natural backer, retrieves land and water. Ran to the end of the open stake (surprisingly) at Taupo last weekend for no birds, doesn't make the second round in Novice the day after...

She is definitely an alpha bitch, she has to be first in everything. First to the food, first for a pat, first in the running. Everything is competitive to her.

My criticisms of her are two at this stage; the first I can't change, the second I'm working on.

The first, she is tiny! While being well built and 19 kgs, she could have done with a few more inches height. The second is her running, it's all over the show. While she hunts to the conditions and adapts her range to cover, she still has her moments, but we will get there.

Here is a pic of her staring my pigeon loft to death:

Attachment 22387
    Thanks for posting Pointer ,she should prove to be an exciting dog especially given her drive and natural ability
    .Faults exist in most dogs and I have my own mini battles with mine own also but time may see them ironed out .the erratic running is probably less of a problem with live game trials than pigeon trials given the ever changing terrain of the natural game trials grounds .My bitch is some what smaller than yours and she gets along fine , cant see a 19kg dog having any issues.i look forward to seeing her run and enjoying a day out with you guys at this weekends trial !
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    South Islands...four dogs, no North Island entries...1st place equal to the EB and GWP...no other placings.
    South Island champs 4 dogs only ees??

Yes!!! What a shame...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

that is a disaster but hats off to those that keep the heart of the trials pumping in the South .I am sure if we had more time and finances more would competitors would travel there if they could to support the clubs scene in the south . The south is great country for our type of dogs and I do not know why more are not running them ??? beats me

the south is custom made for live game trials for hpr's.
    EeeBees likes this.

yes I suppose the rabbits could pose a problem for some dogs ! I believe there is good quail grounds in the south -big land -big running dogs -beautiful.....

It is sad to think just how illustrious the P and S trialing in the South was some years ago...it seems the divide between the North and South is deepening and I wish that the NZGTA could think about that. If members of the North Island can bring about, through their passion and dedication, the liberation of birds and/or access to preserves to support the wild game trials, why can the South Island not do the same? Are the pigeon trials at risk of becoming extinct? I know to travel to the South or the North is an expensive exercise and would be a determining factor for most.

@EeeBees illustrious? The south has never compared in P&S, never will. Traditionally it has been the place where NI'ers go for easy wins

in saying that pointer usually only the best of the countries trialers make the trip south so it shouldn't be seen as they don't have equally as good dogs /handlers as the regular north island competitors...

Oh alright, perhaps not completely illustrious but the presence was felt...put it that way...so what has happened? South Islands and four dogs running... What happens, say hyperthetically if the South Islands become defunct...? You can hardly have the North Islands then the New Zealand can you? And what does it mean to the trialist anyway...I think we should be concerned because it would eliminate a competition...

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    in saying that pointer usually only the best of the countries trialers make the trip south so it shouldn't be seen as they don't have equally as good dogs /handlers as the regular north island competitors...
    And, the best of South Island trialers and dogs came North...or those with the wherewithal to do so...

A man I consider a mentor would disagree... He travelled there numerous times with GSPs and Curlys.

The southerners are a pragmatic bunch, not to be fussed with bullshit pigeon trials. Where they have been traditionally strong is in in retriever trials, and more recently, spaniel trials

Its a bit of a Bob Dylan song eh EES -The times they are a chaingin
    EeeBees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    A man I consider a mentor would disagree... He travelled there numerous times with GSPs and Curlys.

The southerners are a pragmatic bunch, not to be fussed with bullshit pigeon trials. Where they have been traditionally strong is in in retriever trials, and more recently, spaniel trials
    Is that you saying bullshit pigeon trials or are you saying they think that ?Anyone that say pigeon trials are Bullshit better be winning them to cast such a negative opinion !!
    Some of the Pointer Setter people are not big on them but obviously see some value as they all attend them and those trials will show a dogs faults up also at the drop of a hat .Some may not like the contrived situation but that doesnt mean they have a dog trained up enough to always win them
    Last edited by el borracho; 01-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    Gibo likes this.

I couldn't possibly speak on behalf of the South Island El B
    Gibo likes this.