Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

Yep I was happy to see some little articles about the license delays in the newspaper today.
    bumblefoot likes this.

My missus and i had our 'interview' last night and my security checked, he told me it was a 'PASS', but i wont get my actual FAL through the post till after the 1st of May

So i will be sharing a shotgun on opening day....6 months from start to finish....im 64, so it will be my last one...
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    My missus and i had our 'interview' last night and my security checked, he told me it was a 'PASS', but i wont get my actual FAL through the post till after the 1st of May

So i will be sharing a shotgun on opening day....6 months from start to finish....im 64, so it will be my last one...
    Ha ha don't bet on it. Remember our "lifetime licences"?
    Scouser likes this.

Why sharing a shotgun? Its still legal for you to shoot under supervision of a LFAO.

One unlicensed firearm user to be under direct supervision of licence holder.
    Scouser likes this.

7 months after applying for my renewal, and after much chasing, I got a call this week to say my licence had been made "current" but my card would be several weeks away. Quite a relief to say the least and just in time for duck shooting.
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rimubay View Post
    7 months after applying for my renewal, and after much chasing, I got a call this week to say my licence had been made "current" but my card would be several weeks away. Quite a relief to say the least and just in time for duck shooting.
    Make sure you carry a copy of the notification that your licence is ‘current’ when duck shooting!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Make sure you carry a copy of the notification that your licence is ‘current’ when duck shooting!
    Hmmm, this is all a bit confusing, my arms officer said i had 'passed' and i could collect both my firearms & ammo from my friends safe,

but i had to be supervised for waterfowl shooting on opening weekend and im not 'allowed' to have my own shotgun unless 'supervised' by a FAL owner with only one shotgun between us????

seems they 'make it up' as they go....?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Hmmm, this is all a bit confusing, my arms officer said i had 'passed' and i could collect both my firearms & ammo from my friends safe,

but i had to be supervised for waterfowl shooting on opening weekend and im not 'allowed' to have my own shotgun unless 'supervised' by a FAL owner with only one shotgun between us????

I called up and was told I had been approved, same thing license 3-4 weeks away but was told I’m good to go hunting as I have a current license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scouser likes this.

TThere seems to be a fair bit of admin work and multiple sign-offs required after security checks and referee interviews before the licence is made "current". It may be your security was “passed”, but your licence not necessarily made current. I'd call the arms office and seek clarification. Also, keep chasing the buggars - was the only way I was able to make any progress!
    Scouser likes this.

Update on my renewal - note Tauranga region
    March 19 online application submitted
    7th April wife sent in her form
    12th April my mate sent his in - declined as referee as now brother in law even though not legally married
    12th April asked another mate to do it
    15th April send to vetting officer
    Last night 21st April vetting officer called me at 8:30 to jack up an interview (me booked for Friday 23rd - mate the good bugger went into the station today and did his bit - was visiting wife at work today)
    35 days so far to get to interview stages - pretty happy with that.
    buzzman, Cyclops and keengunNic like this.

Constable Plod has today issued a statement which mentions this 'issue" in the last paragraph. A link

https://tinyurl.com/9buznudv

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    12th April my mate sent his in - declined as referee as now brother in law even though not legally married
    Last night 21st April vetting officer called me at 8:30 to jack up an interview (me booked for Friday 23rd - mate the good bugger went into the station today and did his bit - was visiting wife at work today)
    Living in the sticks has its benefits then Gibo?
    Gibo likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    The BOP district which incorporates Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo and the South Waikato have always been prompt at getting firearms licences processed.
    Gibo and Danny like this.

That's a plus , mines coming up to soon.