Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

I'm in the process of renewing my licence, which has now expired - the process has been ongoing for some months. A couple of weeks ago I had a call from my local arms office (Christchurch), advising that I was required to store my firearms with a current licence holder until my new licence issued. Obviously a massive inconvenience to say the least, however am lucky to have a hunting mate with a suitable safe who lives nearby. I've since been talking to another mate in the same position who was told by his local AO (in writing) that provided he applied before his old licence expired, he had an extension until the new one issued. He's based in Wellington. A quick search on Facebook etc. shows similar inconsistencies around the country, and it seems it's up to the individual AO rather than a nationwide police directive – the AO I spoke with actually referred to it as a “grey area”. Is anyone aware of the definitive legal position?

Quote Originally Posted by rimubay View Post
    I'm in the process of renewing my licence, which has now expired - the process has been ongoing for some months. A couple of weeks ago I had a call from my local arms office (Christchurch), advising that I was required to store my firearms with a current licence holder until my new licence issued. Obviously a massive inconvenience to say the least, however am lucky to have a hunting mate with a suitable safe who lives nearby. I've since been talking to another mate in the same position who was told by his local AO (in writing) that provided he applied before his old licence expired, he had an extension until the new one issued. He's based in Wellington. A quick search on Facebook etc. shows similar inconsistencies around the country, and it seems it's up to the individual AO rather than a nationwide police directive – the AO I spoke with actually referred to it as a “grey area”. Is anyone aware of the definitive legal position?
    Seems this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Clear as mud......

Quote Originally Posted by rimubay View Post
    Only get an extention IF you fal expired between March 25 2020 and Sept 25 2020 AND your renewal application had been handed in and receipted
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I have been advised to apply for my licence renewal at least 6 months prior to expiry. If my licence expires before renewal then I'll have to store my firearms in someone else's security until renewed. No good whining about it. It is what it is, for now at least. More funding for the police from our benevolent government required. Can't see that happening with our huge national debt.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    No good whining about it. It is what it is, for now at least. More funding for the police from our benevolent government required. Can't see that happening with our huge national debt.
    I have to disagree with that. Whining is one way to get things changed, get more funding or whatever. But we need to be whining to the correct people like MPs etc, not other FAL holders. Nothing will change if no one complains.
    Slug, Steve123, matagouri and 1 others like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I have to disagree with that. Whining is one way to get things changed, get more funding or whatever. But we need to be whining to the correct people like MPs etc, not other FAL holders. Nothing will change if no one complains.
    I agree with that. I was referring to the echo chamber here.

Hmm, I still have five years to before my licence expires, going by above comments it might be advisable for me to start the renewal process now...

(I wonder if I can get a refund for the Cat E part of my licence that I was unable to utilize?)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

I'm applying for my licence after years in the UK. I thought it was painfully slow there, but it's worse here.

Spoke to my arms officer the other day. Told me it had all been done and was in Wellington for the final stage. But there was one (one) person to do that for the entire Wellington district.

So, not hard to work out where the bottleneck is...

northdude
    If its not deliberate starting to hear some stories

I've finally been told mine is in the mail and approved, it has been 1 year in 1 weeks time...

I've finally been told mine is in the mail and approved, it has been 1 year in 1 weeks time... renewal that is

Bro in law still waiting.
    12 months in march, new applicant.
    Emailed them early last week.
    Sorry sir etc
    Basically a form letter.

A little over 5 months and counting for my new application. Rookie numbers, I know...

I applied for renewal in December, expires in March - wife got an email with reference pre-check survey this week so I guess some progress is being made on it...

Renewal was approved 15/01/2021 and card turned up 2.5 weeks later which was 11 months to the day of dropping off the application to the police station, hopefully in 5 years when it is time to renew they have the back log under control??