Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Firearm licencing

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Update on my renewal - note Tauranga region
    March 19 online application submitted
    7th April wife sent in her form
    12th April my mate sent his in - declined as referee as now brother in law even though not legally married
    12th April asked another mate to do it
    15th April send to vetting officer
    Last night 21st April vetting officer called me at 8:30 to jack up an interview (me booked for Friday 23rd - mate the good bugger went into the station today and did his bit - was visiting wife at work today)
    35 days so far to get to interview stages - pretty happy with that.
    I'm heartened to hear that @Gibo - it almost seems too good to be true...

We have interviews this coming week but we've been waiting since November. Hopefully they're starting to get on top of the backlog in some places, but its unlikely given the numbers. I feel for those who wanted to go duck shooting this year but can't. That sucks. Its all incredibly disappointing and its all thanks to inept management from the very top...
    Scouser and Gibo like this.

My son's application went in at the start of Dec...still haven't heard anything
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Update. Applied end of January. Referee interviewed and myself last week. Need to beef up security a bit so officer coming back tomorrow to give the all good remark hopefully.

Officer said they have been flat out being tasked to do these firearm applications/renewals and have a target to meet by end of May.

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Sounds to me like your arms officer is certainly confused....in order for you to uplift your firearms and ammo you must legally have a current license...and if you do have a license then obviously no supervision from another license holder is required.
    That is not uncommon. Some AO's have a propensity to interpret their duties to suit their own agenda. Depending on district I have heard some shocking stories but for myself I have always had good buggers to deal with but am yet to have any dealings with my present district AO. I do have my first mail-order in the works (for ammo) so I am watching/waiting with interest.

Vetting officer was happy with me and my security on Friday. Advised I should see my new licence in a few weeks. Will keep you posted.

Didnt even want to see in the safe... I found that a bit odd, what if I had prohibited firearms?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Vetting officer was happy with me and my security on Friday. Advised I should see my new licence in a few weeks. Will keep you posted. Didnt even want to see in the safe... I found that a bit odd, what if I had prohibited firearms?
    I made him look at mine; just to cover my arse. Same with where I hid the key and where I had the bolts and ammo separately stored. He didn't want to check but I asked him to, again as a butt covering exercise... Just my luck to get burgled and they say that I hadn't shown them. Probably paranoid, but better to be safe than sorry. He was a good dude though
    Gibo likes this.

Yeah I had the keys in my hand and all, just said no its fine I am not here to look inside....
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

You do multi choice test Gibo? My officer wasnt even going to test me until I asked and insisted he tested me. Could just see some senior officer asking for test results and delaying the process. 10/10. First to get all correct after 6 other applications. They were fairly simple I thought...
    Scouser and Micky Duck like this.

Well got the news today my application has been given the green light, and I should have my FAL in the letterbox within 3 weeks. I'm really happy about that, has taken a year roughly, with some help from the local arms guy. Really pleased!
    Scouser, Gibo, Rusky and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    You do multi choice test Gibo? My officer wasnt even going to test me until I asked and insisted he tested me. Could just see some senior officer asking for test results and delaying the process. 10/10. First to get all correct after 6 other applications. They were fairly simple I thought...
    Yeah mate, she handed me her tablet to use after asking me if I or anyone I had been in contact with had been to Auckland didnt want any Jafa germs.
    The questions were all logical and easy enough to answer.

phoned the Waikato arms officer - asked if possible to get an update as I've pretty much missed the roar - still in process and shouldnt be far away.... applied in December to make sure it was sorted for the roar... expired just before things kicked off....

I had my interview and security inspection a month ago. Chased up this week and they could not guarantee a time frame but estimated within the next month for the card to show up. I applied 8 months ago.

I was under the impression that I would get an email with my application outcome before the card was produced, but they said that is not the case (for central district, at least). But it was most likely good news that I hadn't heard anything! So when the card shows up I know I've been successful.

I take it from the response that my application is still waiting for the rubber stamp. Back to checking the mail twice a day I guess.
    Last edited by Rush; 28-04-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Listened to an Arms Officer from "head office" yesterday on the Farming Show, Newstalk ZB, he made a statement when asked that it's ok to shoot yourself while supervising an unlicensed hunter, always had been led to believe if your supervising you were only allowed one firearm between the two of you. Also was queried about farmers changing farms at end of the season whom were waiting for license renewal, didn't really answer that question. Just stated there were ways to sort it, a bit tough if it's Waikato to Southland and your mate who is storing for you in the Waikato doesn't want a drive south to find Southland storage for you.

Its never ok to shoot yourself

Its never ok to shoot yourself
    I too thought that - i believe it smarts in an eye watering way!
    Gibo likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’